Re: Number of items and bandwidth.

  • Dave Winer
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2002
      Morbus got it right. That would require a dynamic feed that knows
      produces a custom feed for each reader, and would be a tradeoff of
      CPU performance for net bandwidth. I think CPUs are still more dear
      than net bandwidth, and aside from that the RSS network is designed
      to be static not dynamic, so this is not an option, imho.
    • Phil Ringnalda
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2002
        jystervinou wrote:
        > Why not put in the feeds only the new items?
        > RSS feeds would be a lot smaller and the amount of bandwidth would be
        > reduced a lot.

        What is new? *washes hands*

        Not every aggregator runs on the same schedule, or on a schedule at all. To
        deliver all new items to each aggregator, you would have to make your feed
        dynamic, rather than serving a simple static file, and then either have a
        login system to track what items had been delivered to what aggregators, or
        misuse HTTP by delivering a partial document in response to an
        If-Modified-Since request. While that might not be a bad idea for feeds that
        are already dynamically generated, I doubt that there are many people in the
        situation of having all the CPU in the world to generate their feed anew
        each time it's requested, but without enough bandwidth to serve it up.

        Phil Ringnalda
      • Eric Vitiello
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 13, 2002
          >Morbus got it right. That would require a dynamic feed that knows
          >produces a custom feed for each reader, and would be a tradeoff of
          >CPU performance for net bandwidth. I think CPUs are still more dear
          >than net bandwidth, and aside from that the RSS network is designed
          >to be static not dynamic, so this is not an option, imho.

          Of course, it depends on the circumstances as well. I have a fairly beefy machine, with CPU utilization hovering at 10%. That measn I have 90% of my CPU free for use on average... however, Bandwidth costs me money. I've begun work on dynamically generating the RSS files based on the user and conditional GET.

          some people have extra bandwidth, some have extra CPU.

          --Eric

          --
          Eric Vitiello, Perceive Designs <http://www.perceive.net>
          Got Geek? Shirts, etc. <http://www.cafepress.com/got_geek>
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 13, 2002
            jystervinou wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I was wondering (tell me if i totally miss something) :
            >
            > All the feeds seem to have 15 or more items.
            >
            > This means that if a Weblogger posts one new item, his rss feed will
            > be updated with only one new item, and 14 "old" items.
            >
            > So the news agregators will fetch the feed, and only take the new
            > item.
            > So at each request, the agregator fetches items he already got
            > earlier.
            >
            > Why not put in the feeds only the new items?
            > RSS feeds would be a lot smaller and the amount of bandwidth would be
            > reduced a lot.

            Not everyone (esp. people with a dial-up connection) have the aggregator
            running dayly.
            So if you were away for a weekend, and return, you want your aggregator
            to get all posts from the last 2 days.

            Sjoerd
          • Willem Broekema
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 13, 2002
              Phil Ringnalda wrote:

              > To deliver all new items to each aggregator, you would have to make
              > your feed dynamic, rather than serving a simple static file, and then
              > either have a login system to track what items had been delivered to
              > what aggregators, or misuse HTTP by delivering a partial document in
              > response to an If-Modified-Since request.

              Another option is using standard HTTP cookies, analog to community sites
              that state "There have been 13 new comments since your last visit."

              The server may set a cookie with as value for example the current
              date+time, or the internal database record id of the most recent item in
              the feeds it is about to return to the client, or any other data that
              the server can use to *easily* (not very CPU-intensive) determine the
              (relative to the previous fetch) new items.

              The client should simply accept the cookies it receives and sent them
              with the next request, without trying to parse and/or interpret its value.

              This adds one more header field for aggregators to store, besides the
              ETag and Last-Modified.

              - Willem
            • Gerhard Poul
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 26, 2002
                This is a comment about this topic that you may find interesting on
                kuro5hin:

                http://www.kuro5hin.org/comments/2002/11/10/122820/97/34#34

                "Willem Broekema" <willem@...> wrote in message
                > Phil Ringnalda wrote:
                >
                > > To deliver all new items to each aggregator, you would have to make
                > > your feed dynamic, rather than serving a simple static file, and then
                > > either have a login system to track what items had been delivered to
                > > what aggregators, or misuse HTTP by delivering a partial document in
                > > response to an If-Modified-Since request.
                >
                > Another option is using standard HTTP cookies, analog to community sites
                > that state "There have been 13 new comments since your last visit."
                >
                > The server may set a cookie with as value for example the current
                > date+time, or the internal database record id of the most recent item in
                > the feeds it is about to return to the client, or any other data that
                > the server can use to *easily* (not very CPU-intensive) determine the
                > (relative to the previous fetch) new items.
                >
                > The client should simply accept the cookies it receives and sent them
                > with the next request, without trying to parse and/or interpret its value.
                >
                > This adds one more header field for aggregators to store, besides the
                > ETag and Last-Modified.
                >

                > - Willem

              • Gerhard Poul
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 26, 2002
                  > > All the feeds seem to have 15 or more items.
                  >
                  > Not everyone (esp. people with a dial-up connection) have the aggregator
                  > running dayly.
                  > So if you were away for a weekend, and return, you want your aggregator
                  > to get all posts from the last 2 days.

                  exactly, but what happens if you're away for 2 days and there were more than
                  15 newly posted items?