Radio Userland RSS 2.0 feeds not working properly in my aggregator.

  • tappnel
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
      I've noticed recently that a number of feeds I follow have not been
      working properly in that my aggregator doesn't generate a hyperlink to
      the entry. I took a look at these feeds and noted they are all RSS 2.0
      being generated by Radio. Furthermore, there is a <guid> element, but
      no <link> tag. The <guid> in fact a valid URL that points to the
      content, so all that has happened is a renaming of a tag.

      What was the point of renaming the <link> element? I know the "spec"
      says this is legal, but it seems silly since not long ago Sam Ruby's
      quick survey of RSS tag usage[1] nearly 88% of feeds provided an item
      <link>. Its breaking interoperability that the user base has defined
      and for what? In order for me to read these feeds the way I like I
      have to modify/upgrade my software? That doesn't seem very neighborly
      at all.

      <tim/>

      [1] http://intertwingly.net/reports/rsstags.html
    • Morbus Iff
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
        At 10:28 AM 11/1/2002, you wrote:
        >I've noticed recently that a number of feeds I follow have not been
        >working properly in that my aggregator doesn't generate a hyperlink to
        >the entry. I took a look at these feeds and noted they are all RSS 2.0
        >being generated by Radio. Furthermore, there is a <guid> element, but
        >no <link> tag. The <guid> in fact a valid URL that points to the
        >content, so all that has happened is a renaming of a tag.

        Unfortunately, reversing these aspect:

        - "ok, if the <link> has been moved to <guid>, then I should
        surround my <title> with the <guid> link, right?"

        isn't valid. The <guid> is merely "a string that uniquely identifies the
        item." You can't infer anything more from it than that. Your aggregator
        could modify itself to support <guid> linking around <title>, but then
        you'll run into RSS 2.0 feeds that use a different unique identifier, and
        you'll be stuck again.

        >What was the point of renaming the <link> element? I know the "spec"

        Radio RSS 2 support to include <link> as well as <guid>.

        --
        Morbus Iff ( i'm the droid you're looking for )
        Please Me: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/wishlist/25USVJDH68554
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
          If they're missing the link tag that's one thing. The guid element is not a
          replacement for it. What a guid element IS, well, that's an entirely other
          matter.

          Why a feed wouldn't include the link elements is the source of the problem.
          What's the feed's URL?

          > I've noticed recently that a number of feeds I follow have not been
          > working properly in that my aggregator doesn't generate a hyperlink to
          > the entry. I took a look at these feeds and noted they are all RSS 2.0
          > being generated by Radio. Furthermore, there is a <guid> element, but
          > no <link> tag. The <guid> in fact a valid URL that points to the
          > content, so all that has happened is a renaming of a tag.
          >
          > What was the point of renaming the <link> element? I know the "spec"
          > says this is legal, but it seems silly since not long ago Sam Ruby's
          > quick survey of RSS tag usage[1] nearly 88% of feeds provided an item
          > <link>. Its breaking interoperability that the user base has defined
          > and for what? In order for me to read these feeds the way I like I
          > have to modify/upgrade my software? That doesn't seem very neighborly
          > at all.
        • Dave Winer
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
            >>I would formally propose for the Radio RSS 2 support to include
            <link> as well as <guid>.

            It does support <link> but it's an option, for the user, not a
            requirement.
          • tappnel
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
              http://werbach.com/blog/weblog/rss.xml

              Wondering if this was something Kevin did I ran a test here:
              http://www.scripting.com/rss.xml
              http://jrobb.userland.com/rss.xml

              Same thing.

              <tim/>

              --- In RSS2-Support@y..., "Bill Kearney" <wkearney99@h...> wrote:

              > If they're missing the link tag that's one thing. The guid element
              is not a
              > replacement for it. What a guid element IS, well, that's an
              entirely other
              > matter.
              >
              > Why a feed wouldn't include the link elements is the source of the
              problem.
              > What's the feed's URL?

            • Morbus Iff
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
                >>I would formally propose for the Radio RSS 2
                >>support to include <link> as well as <guid>.
                >
                >It does support <link> but it's an option, for the user, not a

                Could you make it turned on by default, duplicating the data in <guid>?
                People who've been using Radio Userland for a long time often don't recheck
                to see if there are new options to play around with when they download a
                new .root - imo, it'd be a good idea to default to the current status quo
                for RSS feeds...

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
                    >Just curious, what aggregator do you use??

                    I dunno about him, but I know AmphetaDesk
                    would exhibit the behavior he describes.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
                      I tried with AmphetaDesk, blagg and even did a test with the
                      MovableType RSSFeed plugin -- not an aggregator, but close.

                      > Just curious, what aggregator do you use??

                    • Morbus Iff
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
                        >>Just curious, what aggregator do you use??
                        >
                        >I dunno about him, but I know AmphetaDesk
                        >would exhibit the behavior he describes.

                        Tim, if it's any consolation, I could probably write you two or three lines
                        of code to get <guid isPermaLink> working as a <link> replacement in your
                        AmphetaDesk template. It's a mindless addition.

                        --
                        Morbus Iff ( god less america )
                        Tech: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/779 - articles and weblog