Request for Comments: Extremely Simple Syndication (XSS) Profile.

  • tappnel
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2002
      (This message has been cross-posted.)

      Last week inspired by some of the recent conversations and past
      proposals for a simple core, I drafted up a profile format (as opposed
      to another specification). I'm referring to it as Extremely Simple
      Syndication or XSS.

      The XSS profile defines a restricted subset of previous RSS formats
      that balances ease of use and authoring with ease of consumption by
      applications while maintaining the richness necessary to extended and
      adapt to various problem domains. It is designed for applications
      operating in resource constrained environments such as mobile phones,
      PDAs and other devices or sites needing to conserve bandwidth for
      economic or physical reasons. It is also designed for authors wishing
      to provide a well-formed "feed" of information to consumers. The XSS
      profile contains three document types -- Strict, Transitional, and
      Extensible.

      Today I posted a second draft here [1] and wanted to make a wider
      audience aware of it. (The first draft I posted got a lot of traffic
      through "word of mouth" linking.) I'm developing it in the spirit of
      "release early, release often." Feedback and suggestions to improve it
      are welcomed and appreciated.

      Thanks.

      <tim/>

      [1] http://www.mplode.com/tima/archives/000126.html
    • Joe Gregorio
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2002
        tappnel wrote:

        > Today I posted a second draft here [1] and wanted to make a wider
        > audience aware of it. (The first draft I posted got a lot of traffic
        > through "word of mouth" linking.) I'm developing it in the spirit of
        > "release early, release often." Feedback and suggestions to improve it
        > are welcomed and appreciated.

        I really like it. Nice job.

        Now for the feedback:

        1. Don't make it a 'profile' of RSS 2.0, keep XSS as the
        name and start a new working group around this format.
        I would love to see an open standardization effort
        of the RSS format. XSS can become the SOAP of syndication.
        I assume it would have Dave Winer's blessing
        as long as it's not called RSS, Dave?

        2. I am not clear on the need for different document types.
        Since namespaces clearly seperate out the core elements
        the consuming app can decide which tags beyond the
        core it wants to implement. Given that I am suggesting #1
        I guess I would suggest dropping all the deprecated tags.
        The deprecated tags can be mentioned in the documentation
        on how to migrate from RSS to XSS.

        Thanks,
        -joe

        --
        http://bitworking.org
      • Dave Winer
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2002
          Hi Joe, there definitely seems to be an interest in a SOAP of syndication. There's no confusion if it's got a new name. I want to be careful about giving blessings, I am just a software developer, not someone who should be blessing things. Saying just this much is likely to get me flamed. Dave

          > Today I posted a second draft here [1] and wanted to make a wider
          > audience aware of it. (The first draft I posted got a lot of traffic
          > through "word of mouth" linking.) I'm developing it in the spirit of
          > "release early, release often." Feedback and suggestions to improve it
          > are welcomed and appreciated.

          I really like it. Nice job.

          Now for the feedback:

          1. Don't make it a 'profile' of RSS 2.0, keep XSS as the
              name and start a new working group around this format.
              I would love to see an open standardization effort
              of the RSS format. XSS can become the SOAP of syndication.
              I assume it would have Dave Winer's blessing
              as long as it's not called RSS, Dave?

          2. I am not clear on the need for different document types.
              Since namespaces clearly seperate out the core elements
              the consuming app can decide which tags beyond the
              core it wants to implement. Given that I am suggesting #1
              I guess I would suggest dropping all the deprecated tags.
              The deprecated tags can be mentioned in the documentation
              on how to migrate from RSS to XSS.

                Thanks,
                -joe

          --
          http://bitworking.org

        • Morbus Iff
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2002
            >Hi Joe, there definitely seems to be an interest in a SOAP of syndication.
            >There's no confusion if it's got a new name. I want to be careful about
            >giving blessings, I am just a software developer, not someone who should
            >be blessing things. Saying just this much is likely to get me flamed. Dave

            WHY YOU LITTLE PIEC... oh, wait. Nevermind.

            <injecting_pathetic_humor />

            --
            Morbus Iff ( i'm the droid you're looking for )
            Please Me: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/wishlist/25USVJDH68554