Alternate payloads?

  • Phil Wolff
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 20, 2002
      How appropriate is it to use RSS as a syndication wrapper for non-
      blog objects? For instance, if I want to syndicate iCal events for a
      nightclub or new-hire vCards.

      Is there an RSS-like way to design this? Modules? Enclosures? ?

      Would it be o.k. to blend tradtional blog items with non-traditional
      payloads in the same feed?

      - phil wolff, http://dijest.com/aka/categories/blueSkyRadio
      pwolff at dijest dot com
    • Morbus Iff
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 20, 2002
        At 03:17 PM 9/20/2002, you wrote:
        >How appropriate is it to use RSS as a syndication wrapper for non-
        >blog objects? For instance, if I want to syndicate iCal events for a
        >nightclub or new-hire vCards.

        There has been some work using a module in RSS 1.0. See:

        http://swordfish.rdfweb.org/discovery/2002/05/rsscal/
        http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/200207/rsscal/xslt-rss-events.html

        --
        Morbus Iff ( i'm the droid you're looking for )
        Please Me: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/wishlist/25USVJDH68554
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 20, 2002
          > How appropriate is it to use RSS as a syndication wrapper for non-
          > blog objects? For instance, if I want to syndicate iCal events for
          > a nightclub or new-hire vCards.
          >
          > Is there an RSS-like way to design this? Modules? Enclosures? ?
          >
          > Would it be o.k. to blend tradtional blog items with non-
          > traditional payloads in the same feed?

          Sure use mod_event
          http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/event/

          There are also other projects doing vCard serialization in XML and
          other event work.

          http://ilrt.org/discovery/2001/04/calendar/
          http://www.w3.org/Submission/2001/04/

          As to whether it's appropriate to use them in RSS, that's up to you
          and your readers. If you've sufficient momentum to get folks
          interested in using your format of elements then you can encourage
          their reader programs to understand what to do with it.

          Quite a bit of this research has been done. Grokking the modules,
          well that's the hard part. But the tough bits are largely already
          quite well thought out. Reinventing the wheel can certainly be done
          but learning from other efforts might help avoid the minefields.

          -Bill Kearney
        • Sjoerd Visscher
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 20, 2002
            --- In RSS2-Support@y..., "Phil Wolff" <Philip.Wolff@d...> wrote:
            > How appropriate is it to use RSS as a syndication wrapper for non-
            > blog objects? For instance, if I want to syndicate iCal events for a
            > nightclub or new-hire vCards.
            >
            > Is there an RSS-like way to design this? Modules? Enclosures? ?
            >
            > Would it be o.k. to blend tradtional blog items with non-traditional
            > payloads in the same feed?

            This would all be o.k. Just make sure each item has either a title or
            a description.

            If you have small xml formatted payload, you can make a module. But
            aggregators must specifically support your module to do something with
            that data.

            For iCal events I would simply publish each event as a file on a
            webserver. And then use the link element in the RSS file. With the
            proper mimetype, clicking the links in any aggregator would load the
            event in the user's calendar program.

            Sjoerd
          • Bill Kearney
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 20, 2002
              > For iCal events I would simply publish each event as a file on a
              > webserver. And then use the link element in the RSS file. With the
              > proper mimetype, clicking the links in any aggregator would load the
              > event in the user's calendar program.

              or make use of mod_link as the element link is intended represent the item, not
              the pointed resource.