Re: Blair and Robinson available through the Internet

  • CDV
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
      So this work is a history of the Philippines? Looks pretty monumental.
      Funny how I never heard of it. I wonder if the Rizal Library at the
      Ateneo de Manila has a copy of it. I was told by a former classmate
      that the library has a copy of Rizal's annotated "Sucesos" by Morga.

      Here is an excerpt from Blair and Robinson from volume 10:

      >>>The new archbishop of Manila writes to the king (June 24, 1598)
      complaining of the neglected and impoverished condition of his see,
      and the little interest or attention given to religion by the laity
      therein. He denounces the governor as avaricious, corrupt, vicious,
      and tyrannical. The archbishop asks that a new governor be appointed,
      who shall have no selfish aims in accepting the post, preferably an
      ecclesiastic. Some check must be placed on the immigration of Chinese,
      who are ruining the country and demoralizing the natives. The
      Inquisition should be reƫstablished in Manila.<<<

      CDV

      --- In RP-Rizal@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Robert L. Yoder"
      <DrRobertL_Yoder@e...> wrote:

      > CORRECTION: It only goes through volume 23. I guess that it is an
      > on-going project. The same was available through the Bank of the
      > Philippine Islands in a CD-ROM edition. One drawback, for me, was
      > that it seemed impossible to "capture text" on the Disk. You could
      > just read it on your monitor and you could print out pages from your
      > computer.
      > ===========
      > --- In RP-Rizal@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Robert L. Yoder"
      > <DrRobertL_Yoder@e...> wrote:
      > >
      > > This isn't exactly on Rizal but I think it is worth passing
      > along.
      > > I've just discovered that the monumental work by Blair and
      > Robinson
      > > done during the American colonial period is now available on the
      > > Internet through the Gutenburg project. Here is a way to get at
      > it:
      > > --> Type in this url:
      > > http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/b#a2296
      > > --> Click on the "Edit" Option in the bar at the top of the
      > monitor.
      > > --> Select "Find (on page""
      > > --> in the Box type in Blair (Helen Blair, one of the translators
      > and
      > > editors)
      > > --> You will soon find most of the volumns.
      > > NOTE: This is a valuable tool to a researcher. The print edition
      > > today would cost thousands of US Dollars as it is out of print.
      > And
      > > that is, if you could find it!

    • Ish Fabicon
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
        'cost me around P2000.00 - two years ago - on blair and robertson's cd-rom, "The philippine islands -1493-1898.

        ayan -spelling na naman - robertson yata ang tama.

        doc simp

      • lucien0909
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
          test,
          Lucien
          <DrRobertL_Yoder@e...> wrote:

          > CORRECTION: It only goes through volume 23. I guess that it is
          an
          > on-going project. The same was available through the Bank of the
          > Philippine Islands in a CD-ROM edition. One drawback, for me, was
          > that it seemed impossible to "capture text" on the Disk. You
          could
          > just read it on your monitor and you could print out pages from
          your
          > computer.
          > ===========
          > --- In RP-Rizal@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Robert L. Yoder"
          > <DrRobertL_Yoder@e...> wrote:
          > >
          > > This isn't exactly on Rizal but I think it is worth passing
          > along.
          > > I've just discovered that the monumental work by Blair and
          > Robinson
          > > done during the American colonial period is now available on the
          > > Internet through the Gutenburg project. Here is a way to get at
          > it:
          > > --> Type in this url:
          > > http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/b#a2296
          > > --> Click on the "Edit" Option in the bar at the top of the
          > monitor.
          > > --> Select "Find (on page""
          > > --> in the Box type in Blair (Helen Blair, one of the
          translators
          > and
          > > editors)
          > > --> You will soon find most of the volumns.
          > > NOTE: This is a valuable tool to a researcher. The print
          edition
          > > today would cost thousands of US Dollars as it is out of print.
          > And
          > > that is, if you could find it!

        • Dr. Robert L. Yoder
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
            You can also get the entire set at this URL:

            http://www.digitalbookindex.org/_search/search010hsttrvanddiscovasiap
            acifica.asp

            Just like the Bank of the Philppine Islands you can not capture text
            and can only read it on your computer monitor or print any page out
            on your computer.

            I should also add that this 55 volume set is a treasure trove on the
            history of the Philippies up until the turn of the previous
            century. It has an English translation of just about every major
            Spanish book, letter, etc. (primary source matter) that was
            available. If they missed something, it was unusual.

            <DrRobertL_Yoder@e...> wrote:

            > CORRECTION: It only goes through volume 23. I guess that it is
            an
            > on-going project. The same was available through the Bank of the
            > Philippine Islands in a CD-ROM edition. One drawback, for me, was
            > that it seemed impossible to "capture text" on the Disk. You
            could
            > just read it on your monitor and you could print out pages from
            your
            > computer.
            > ===========
            > --- In RP-Rizal@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Robert L. Yoder"
            > <DrRobertL_Yoder@e...> wrote:
            > >
            > > This isn't exactly on Rizal but I think it is worth passing
            > along.
            > > I've just discovered that the monumental work by Blair and
            > Robinson
            > > done during the American colonial period is now available on the
            > > Internet through the Gutenburg project. Here is a way to get at
            > it:
            > > --> Type in this url:
            > > http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/b#a2296
            > > --> Click on the "Edit" Option in the bar at the top of the
            > monitor.
            > > --> Select "Find (on page""
            > > --> in the Box type in Blair (Helen Blair, one of the
            translators
            > and
            > > editors)
            > > --> You will soon find most of the volumns.
            > > NOTE: This is a valuable tool to a researcher. The print
            edition
            > > today would cost thousands of US Dollars as it is out of print.
            > And
            > > that is, if you could find it!

          • Dr. Robert L. Yoder
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
              Emma Helen Blair and James Alexander Robertson's complete history of
              the Philippines is the most comprehensive and includes rare photos,
              documents, transcripts and other materials which cannot be found in
              other research books. I believe that it was commissioned by the
              United States Government after they took control of the Philippine
              Islands as an attempt to understand what they had as a possession.
              It remains as one of the best research tools available to those who
              are interested in Philippine history under Spain.

              <DrRobertL_Yoder@e...> wrote:

              > This isn't exactly on Rizal but I think it is worth passing
              along.
              > I've just discovered that the monumental work by Blair and
              Robinson
              > done during the American colonial period is now available on the
              > Internet through the Gutenburg project. Here is a way to get at
              it:
              > --> Type in this url:
              > http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/b#a2296
              > --> Click on the "Edit" Option in the bar at the top of the
              monitor.
              > --> Select "Find (on page""
              > --> in the Box type in Blair (Helen Blair, one of the translators
              and
              > editors)
              > --> You will soon find most of the volumns.
              > NOTE: This is a valuable tool to a researcher. The print edition
              > today would cost thousands of US Dollars as it is out of print.
              And
              > that is, if you could find it!

            • lucien0909
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
                Dear Dr. Yoder,
                I am also in possession of the B&R CD-Rom. I am sure that there must
                be a possiblity by using OCR program to convert the text from the CD-
                Rom into a simple Word document. Anybody in the forum knows how?
                Lucien
                <DrRobertL_Yoder@e...> wrote:

                > CORRECTION: It only goes through volume 23. I guess that it is an
                > on-going project. The same was available through the Bank of the
                > Philippine Islands in a CD-ROM edition. One drawback, for me, was
                > that it seemed impossible to "capture text" on the Disk. You could
                > just read it on your monitor and you could print out pages from
                your
                > computer.
                > ===========
                > --- In RP-Rizal@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Robert L. Yoder"
                > <DrRobertL_Yoder@e...> wrote:
                > >
                > > This isn't exactly on Rizal but I think it is worth passing
                > along.
                > > I've just discovered that the monumental work by Blair and
                > Robinson
                > > done during the American colonial period is now available on the
                > > Internet through the Gutenburg project. Here is a way to get at
                > it:
                > > --> Type in this url:
                > > http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/b#a2296
                > > --> Click on the "Edit" Option in the bar at the top of the
                > monitor.
                > > --> Select "Find (on page""
                > > --> in the Box type in Blair (Helen Blair, one of the translators
                > and
                > > editors)
                > > --> You will soon find most of the volumns.
                > > NOTE: This is a valuable tool to a researcher. The print edition
                > > today would cost thousands of US Dollars as it is out of print.
                > And
                > > that is, if you could find it!

              • Ka Edong del Rosario, MD,MPH
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005
                  Gentlemen:

                  Let us please not perpetuate a typographical error. It is "BLAIR AND ROBERTSON", not Blair and Robinson. Authors/Translators are Helen Blair and James Alexander Robertson.

                  Thank you very much.

                  - si ka edong po
                  sleepless O.F. sa libis ng nayon

                  <DrRobertL_Yoder@e...> wrote:

                  > CORRECTION: It only goes through volume 23. I guess that it is an
                  > on-going project. The same was available through the Bank of the
                  > Philippine Islands in a CD-ROM edition. One drawback, for me, was
                  > that it seemed impossible to "capture text" on the Disk. You could
                  > just read it on your monitor and you could print out pages from
                  your
                  > computer.
                  > ===========
                  > --- In RP-Rizal@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Robert L. Yoder"
                  > <DrRobertL_Yoder@e...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > This isn't exactly on Rizal but I think it is worth passing
                  > along.
                  > > I've just discovered that the monumental work by Blair and
                  > Robinson
                  > > done during the American colonial period is now available on the
                  > > Internet through the Gutenburg project. Here is a way to get at
                  > it:
                  > > --> Type in this url:
                  > > http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/b#a2296
                  > > --> Click on the "Edit" Option in the bar at the top of the
                  > monitor.
                  > > --> Select "Find (on page""
                  > > --> in the Box type in Blair (Helen Blair, one of the translators
                  > and
                  > > editors)
                  > > --> You will soon find most of the volumns.
                  > > NOTE: This is a valuable tool to a researcher. The print edition
                  > > today would cost thousands of US Dollars as it is out of print.
                  > And
                  > > that is, if you could find it!

                  Patalsikin ang mga Taksil sa Bayan !!!
                  Corruption Hurts Filipinos Especially Children...