RIZAL'S APOSTASY WAS WORLD ECUMENISM

  • C V
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 19, 2012
      RIZAL'S APOSTASY WAS WORLD ECUMENISM
      By Dean Jorge Bocobo

      POPE John XXIII, "the good Pope" as he was called, might have been proud of our Jose Rizal. They were kindred spirits, who stood for religious tolerance and understanding among all faiths and peoples.

      So whatever happened to Vatican II and the world ecumenical movement that held so much promise for an end to religious strife in the world? Was all that ''Kumbaya'' singing for nothing?

      The priests turned to face the people, but they still preach the same stubborn and intolerant doctrine that Catholicism is the one true faith and all others are infidels.

      So, irony of ironies. Asia's only Catholic country has excommunicated Free Mason and apostate for its national hero in Rizál.
      This was the man who fought the 19th century's version of the Taliban in the Philippines, not with bombs, but with something more lethal, which are, noble ideas and sentiments, delivered by the technology of Gutenberg.

      He sent two B52s in the form of two novels, ''Noli Me Tangere'' and ''El Filibusterismo,'' whose telling truths exploded in the hearts of his countrymen, opening their eyes to the cancer of Spanish oppression.

      Like bunker-busters, these powerful stories destroyed the metaphorical caves and dungeons of the friars, full of simony and injustice, into whose oblivion his people had been cast for centuries.

      He was shot in the back, like a traitor, on Bagumbayan Field, on Dec. 30, 1896, at the instigation of Catholic friars, who saw in his brilliant mind and satiric pen, the dying light of the Spanish Empire, and the death knell of their centuries-old religious dictatorship.
      Rizal's capital crime and essential heresy was to deny the supreme Catholic vanity of being the "one true faith." Pope John was too far in the future to prevent his unjust execution.

      Influenced by Miguel Morayta, a history professor at the Universidad de Madrid, Rizal joined Masonry, under the Gran Oriente de Español, adopting the Masonic name, Dimasalang. He was automatically excommunicated, expelled from the Catholic Church, a fate decreed for all Catholics becoming Masons since 1738 and reaffirmed by the CBCP in 1990.

      Rizal had plenty of illustrious company including Andres Bonifacio, Apolinario Mabini, Ladislao Diwa, Marcelo H. del Pilar, Juan Luna, Deodato Arellano, Graciano Lopez-Jaena, H. Pardo de Tavera, and so many others in the Propaganda Movement and La Liga Filipina.

      It was a Masonic trader, Jose Ramos, who first smuggled copies of the ''Noli Me Tangere'' into Manila. In 1912, Rizal's family rejected a petition from the Jesuits to rebury their famous pupil.

      Instead, that honor was accorded to the Masons, led by Timoteo Paez, who, in full regalia, carried Rizal's remains in a long procession to the Masonic Temple in Tondo for funeral rites, before final interment at the Luneta in December 1912.
      The true meaning of his life has been obscured by his enemies, who have claimed that in the end, he abjured Masonry and returned to the Faith. If he did, why was he martyred?

      Luckily, most of his written work (50 volumes!) has been available, since his birth centenary in 1961, despite strident opposition from the Catholic Church. In this way, Rizal may still get the final word.

      The tragedy is, most Filipinos have not read Rizal at all, being mainly exposed to seriously flawed films about him. (These much-awarded movies portray him at his execution, clutching rosary beads around his neck, a sop thrown in to mollify Church hierarchy.)

      We treasure his two famous novels, of course. But there is also his poetry (some sophomoric, some sublime). Then there is the epistolary, or long letters, that he exchanged with Pablo Pastells, S.J., a mentor at the Ateneo.

      Though portions were published by Retana, the original, complete texts were suppressed and hidden by the Jesuits at a monastery in Spain for over a century. Why? The authoritative bilingual edition by Fr. Raul Bonoan, S.J. became available only in 1998, when some embargo must have lapsed, or their toxicity deemed expired.
      Read the letters for yourself and see if you agree with my interpretation of them, because I think they were the damning evidence of heresy and apostasy that were used at his one day trial on Dec. 26, 1896. That is why they were hidden for so long. They were used as a murder weapon.

      The 1956 Rizal Law (RA 1425) of Sen. Claro M. Recto should be amended to make these letters required reading in Philippine schools. For in these letters, Rizal speaks for himself, not through fictional characters, but directly and undeniably from his heart, to all of us, in the vast audience of history, about his deepest beliefs.
      Even if he had, hypothetically, signed some made-up retraction document, to save his family from persecution and to marry Josephine Bracken, the letters prove he could not have done so sincerely.

      Freed from Catholic indoctrination by wide exposure to many cultures and religions, the heart and mind that one encounters in the epistolary just could not have made a genuine retraction, for he was, irreversibly, a global citizen, an ecumenical man.
      Rizal believed that you can be a good and moral person without believing in a specific supernatural deity or purported representatives on earth. Of course, faith can also lead to a strong moral conscience, but religion is not the only route to virtue.

      Participation in an organized religion may be a sufficient impetus to a virtuous life, as is fear of eternal damnation, but it is not a necessary condition. Rizal upheld democratic tolerance and ecumenism. He rejected dogmatism and the towering vanity of a "one true faith."

      In so doing he found true freedom and understood the deepest meaning of democracy before it was born in his country. That is why he chose to die an apostate, excommunicated from the Catholic Church, rather than be a traitor to himself and the future of humanity.

      Reprinted from the Philippine Daily Inquirer, December 31, 2001.
    • Roberto Bernardo
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 20, 2012
        CV,a testament to your honest search for the real historical Rizal this is, for sending it on to us at RP-Rizal@yahoogroups, even as it seems to conflict with your stand voiced in our other discussion group: You did not think that mainly religious motives explain JPR's death.
            Bocobo does, it seems. He calls the church and its theocracy(in Spain but especially in its PH colony) the "19th century equivalent of the Taliban", and it framed to convict Rizal to death as rebel. As we read and reread Bocobo's claims below, I'm especially struck by these other phrases which jibe with my own studies reported in cnx.org of the "Irony of ironies:Asia's only Catholic country has...[anti-Caholic]apostate for its {topmost] national hero." And that he was framed and killed chiefly"at the instigation of Catholic friars." To which I'd add, as Retana clearly did:"--and their pious disciples in government, one big indicator of this being the latter's immediate dismissal(full of excuses)of the innocence-proving evidence of JPR's 12/15/1896 Manifesto.

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 21, 2012
          ***[Bocobo] Read the letters for yourself and see if you agree with my interpretation of them, because I think they were the damning evidence of heresy and apostasy that were used at his one day trial on Dec. 26, 1896. That is why they were hidden for so long. They were used as a murder weapon.***

          I think that this is just speculation on the part of Bocobo. I believe that transcripts of the trial are available and the contents of the Rizal-Pastells letters were not presented as evidence.

          But someone can correct me if I am wrong.

          CV

          --- In RP-Rizal@yahoogroups.com, Roberto Bernardo <rbernardo2@...> wrote:

          > CV,a testament to your honest search for the real historical Rizal this is, for sending it on to us at RP-Rizal@yahoogroups, even as it seems to conflict with your stand voiced in our other discussion group: You did not think that mainly religious motives explain JPR's death.
          >     Bocobo does, it seems. He calls the church and its theocracy(in Spain but especially in its PH colony) the "19th century equivalent of the Taliban", and it framed to convict Rizal to death as rebel. As we read and reread Bocobo's claims below, I'm especially struck by these other phrases which jibe with my own studies reported in cnx.org of the "Irony of ironies:Asia's only Catholic country has...[anti-Caholic]apostate for its {topmost] national hero." And that he was framed and killed chiefly"at the instigation of Catholic friars." To which I'd add, as Retana clearly did:"--and their pious disciples in government, one big indicator of this being the latter's immediate dismissal(full of excuses)of the innocence-proving evidence of JPR's 12/15/1896 Manifesto.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • pons2k
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 10, 2012
            MODERATOR: I assume that this post is relevant inasmuch as Rizal was a Mason.

            =====

            CV, Roberto, etc.,

            FYI from a friend:

             Just want to share with my friends & kin who are in the "dark" as to what Freemasonry is all about, to better understand the kind of person I am..Noni

            I found what I believe is the best layman's definition of Freemasonry. Also, I have seen bumper stickers which reads; "FREEMASONRY IS A WAY OF LIFE",  and the following explains this tagline:

            Grand Lodge of Maine
            Ancient Free and Accepted Masons

            One of Freemasonry's objectives is making good men better. Its teachings include brotherhood, morality, justice, tolerance, citizenship, education and freedom of ideas, of religious choice and of expression. The worth of the individual in society is another of its objectives, but it believes that this worth is only achieved by the recognition of the corresponding responsibility, which must accompany each privilege the individual enjoys. "Brotherly love, an elusive principle which Masonry tries to teach, is applied to the whole human race as one common family. This "family" was placed upon the world to support, aid and protect each other.

            It has been written that, "Freemasonry is kindness in the home, honesty in business, courtesy in society, fairness in work, pity and concern for the unfortunate, resistance towards the wicked, help for the weak, trust in the strong, forgiveness for the penitent, love for one another and above all, reverence and love for God." Freemasonry is many things, but most of all FREEMASONRY IS A WAY OF LIFE.

            "WE DO GOOD THINGS BETTER"

              Quotes to remember:
             "Endeavor to leave a trail of kindness not a scar of discontent"
            "When arguing with a stupid person, make sure he is not doing the same."

          • easi publisher
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 10, 2012
              Hi, Pons2K,
              Does the Catholic Church no longer looks askance at Freemasonry?

              Lourdes

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 10, 2012
                Your posting, as shown below reminded me of the two governor-generals of the
                Philippines, both Freemasons, who tried to save the life of Jose Rizal, and how it
                relates to the Rizal's Alleged Retraction.

                The first time was in 1887, when Rizal returned to the Philippines. Terrero was the
                governor-general at that time, gave Rizal bodyguards because the friars were after
                his blood. After 6 months Terrero advised Rizal to leave the country since he could
                not give him protection anymore. The second time was in 1896; Governor Blanco
                had decided in advance to veto a death sentence for Rizal. The Catholic Church through
                the Dominicans secretly persuaded the ultraconservative, Spanish queen, Maria Cristina,
                to fire Governor Blanco and they succeeded. Blanco was fired. Polevieja took over and
                 Rizal's fate was sealed and doomed to die.

                What does the foregoing tell us in regards to the Rizal's Alleged Retraction,
                where Rizal alleged to have written: "I abominate Masonry". Abominate is a
                very strong word to use, the words "resign, terminate, relinquish" would seem
                more credible and besides what was there in Masonry that Rizal had to
                abominate?  The writings shown below from the
                Grand Lodge of Maine Ancient Free and Accepted Masons accurately
                 elaborate about Freemasonry. “It’s objectives are making good men
                better. Its teachings include brotherhood, morality, justice,
                tolerance, citizenship, education and freedom of ideas, of
                religious choice and of expression."
                The people who would want Rizal to retract were the same people who had
                every reason to abominate Freemasonry.

                It just seems strange why a good man, like Rizal would abominate Freemasonry,
                where 2 of his brother masons tried to save his life, against the wishes of the Catholic
                Church who was instrumental for his death.

                                                                                                                 --------Gil C. Fernandez

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 10, 2012
                  In reading what Masonry is about, it makes you wonder why the Catholic Church was so against it. I wonder if the Catholic Church maintains its stand against Freemasonry today as it did back in Rizal's day?

                  CV

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 19, 2012
                      Dear Roberto and Gil, Very many thanks for so effectively elucidating the Masonic angle.  Especially valuable is the explanation by Gil Fernandez that even the single clause about Masonry in the supposed retraction is enough by itself to constitute absolute proof of its falsity.  Absolute proof above and beyond all the many other details, angles, circumstances and information that have already disproved it, as so wonderfully compiled by Roberto Bernardo.  We need all these explanations to counter the continuing vile propaganda and activities against Rizal and against the Filipino people by the RC Church authorities and their brainwashed adherents.  Mike Price

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 22, 2012
                        This declaration of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, issued in 1983 (one of the signatories is the current Pope).

                        http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/masons1.htm

                        P.S. I am just wondering how the Magisterium of the Catholic Church would reconcile with José Rizal's philosophies. No offense intended to everyone.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 23, 2012
                          Thanks, Mark!