Re: [ROUNDLOOMS] Re: size of knifty knitter loom

  • Peggy Rodgers
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011
      I'm glad to see this query and the answers. I have loomed (with the red loom) beanie hats w/brim brought up from inside the loom and knitted onto the pegs for my 9 yo grandson and my 7 yo granddaughter. They're pretty stretchy. I had planned to give them at Christmas, but now I'm thinking I'd better get out the green loom and get to the store for some more yarn.

      Thanks so much for this info. I'm sure they know some place where they can donate the small ones.

      Peggy

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 12, 2011
        Typically, you will get about 2 stitches per inch using two strands held as one of #4 yarn using the e-wrap knit stitch. So, based on the e-wrap gauge, a basic hat from a 31-peg loom will be about 15 inches in circumference and the same hat from a 36-peg loom will have an 18 inch circumference. Allowing about 1 inch for stretch, the 31-peg loom hat will fit someone with a head size of about 16 inches and the 36-peg loom will fit someone with a head size about 19 inches. I use the 36-peg loom for most children 2 years old and above for hats I've made.

        --
        Brenda GA
        http://loomlady.blogspot.com
        In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "freeheartedcathy" <freeheartedcathy@...> wrote:

        > I won't to make a Beanie for a 3 year old could someone tell me what size loom I will need to use .
        > Thank You Cathy

      • kiplani
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 24, 2011
          i make professional photography props on my looms and the red one makes newborn sized (or slightly bigger), the green one makes anything from 1 year old to about 4 years old, and the yellow fits everything bigger.

        • createitis@epix.net
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 26, 2011
              Hi,

            Can you tell me what stitch do you use, ewrap, knit st, "U" st or flat st? Thanks.

            JEC of NEPA
            createitis@...
            http://fibercraftblog.blogspot.com/

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 26, 2011
              i mostly use the ewrap stich. every once in a while i will use knit and if i really want it to look fancy i will experiment with the others

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 26, 2011
                Hi again, Thank you. It makes a big difference what stitch is used. I've been experimenting with dropping down from the ewrap to the "U" stitch when I reach the crown of the hat. It tends to pull the area in.

                Thanks again.

                i mostly use the ewrap stich. every once in a while i will use knit and if i really want it to look fancy i will experiment with the others

              • Mari
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 27, 2011
                  What a good idea switching to the u stitch at the top of the hat.

                  Sent from Mari's iPad
                • Peggy Rodgers
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 27, 2011
                    I agree! What stitch do you recommend for beginning the hat if I am knitting the brim to itself when it gets to about 4"? I want the brim to be a stretchy as possible.

                    Thanks!

                    Peggy

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 28, 2011
                      Hi, So far it seems to be doing what I hoped it would. Once I get them all washed and dry, I'll try to post pictures.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 28, 2011
                          Thanks! That's what I've done for hats I've made for 2 of my grandkids, but I'm now worrying that they may not be stretchy enough to fit their heads. One hat is actually more stretchy than the other. The less stretchy one is from two different strands of yarn, and I think that may have an effect. One of the yarns on that one is fairly stretchy, but the other is not. I didn't think of that in the beginning.

                          Always learning!

                          Peggy
                          ps...love your handle!