size of knifty knitter loom

  • freeheartedcathy
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011
      I won't to make a Beanie for a 3 year old could someone tell me what size loom I will need to use .
      Thank You Cathy
    • Marilyn Franklin
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011

        Try the red one. I tried the blue i've. It makes the hat too small.

        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011
          Thank you I will try this now im looking for a pattern

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011

            You are Welcome! I will look for u one later today.

            Thank you I will try this now im looking for a pattern

            --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, Marilyn Franklin <marilynnfranklin@...> wrote:

            > Try the red one.  I tried the blue i've. It makes the hat too small.

          • surfergma75025
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011
              --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "freeheartedcathy" <freeheartedcathy@...> wrote:

              > I won't to make a Beanie for a 3 year old could someone tell me what size loom I will need to use .
              > Thank You Cathy

              Depends on the size of his or her head. My grandson is 3 and I have to use a green loom as he has a large head. The green also fits his 6 year old sister better than the red one does.

              From the nurse at our local hospital: Proportionately, a baby's head is rather big. Hats should be able to fit a cantalope. Yes baby heads are that big. A full-term 3-6 month old head is about 17 inches. An adult female is 21-22 inches, go ahead, measure your head. A babies head is only 4-5 inches smaller than yours. Make sure the crown of the hat is at least 5-6 inches.
            • Nancy
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011
                --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "freeheartedcathy" <freeheartedcathy@...> wrote:

                > I won't to make a Beanie for a 3 year old could someone tell me what size loom I will need to use .
                > Thank You Cathy

                I just made one for my 2 1/2 yr old grandson..I had to use the green one to get the size right. I used the yellow one for myself as the green came out too small for me.
              • denise odaniels
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011
                  dear Cathy.this may help u.hugs denise

                   http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/how-to-loom-knit.html

                  To: ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com
                  From: nkamrowski9820@...
                  Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 19:21:23 +0000

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011
                    Red 31 pegs - fits children 2 - 5

                    To: ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com
                    From: nkamrowski9820@...
                    Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 19:21:23 +0000

                    --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "freeheartedcathy" <freeheartedcathy@...> wrote:

                    > I won't to make a Beanie for a 3 year old could someone tell me what size loom I will need to use .
                    > Thank You Cathy

                    I just made one for my 2 1/2 yr old grandson..I had to use the green one to get the size right. I used the yellow one for myself as the green came out too small for me.

                  • Mari
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011
                      My grandson is three and I just asked myself this same question. I made him two hats with the red loom. Both were "too tight Nonni, hat too small, won't go on head Nonni!!!!!!". The hats went to a baby about ten months old. They fit him. I would suggest the green loom. I did fifteen rows then brought up the brim, then did twenty two more rows and gathered. It turned out great. Fits him nicely.

                      This is what i would recommend......

                      Blue loom = preemie
                      Red loom = baby
                      Green loom = child/small adult
                      Yellow loom = large adult

                      Mari in oak creek WI
                      Looming with Lymphedema

                      Sent from Mari's iPad
                    • Cathy Stanley
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011
                        thank you

                        > I won't to make a Beanie for a 3 year old could someone tell me what size loom I will need to use .
                        > Thank You Cathy

                        I just made one for my 2 1/2 yr old grandson..I had to use the green one to get the size right. I used the yellow one for myself as the green came out too small for me.

                      • kristinelbailey
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011
                          The red is too small for a 5 yr old - made that mistake once. I have 4 yr old boys and a 34peg from Cindiwood is just right with a #5 yarn. The KK red is 31pegs and the green KK is 36.

                          --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "freeheartedcathy" <freeheartedcathy@...> wrote:

                          > I won't to make a Beanie for a 3 year old could someone tell me what size loom I will need to use .
                          > Thank You Cathy

                        • Peggy Rodgers
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011
                            I'm glad to see this query and the answers. I have loomed (with the red loom) beanie hats w/brim brought up from inside the loom and knitted onto the pegs for my 9 yo grandson and my 7 yo granddaughter. They're pretty stretchy. I had planned to give them at Christmas, but now I'm thinking I'd better get out the green loom and get to the store for some more yarn.

                            Thanks so much for this info. I'm sure they know some place where they can donate the small ones.

                            Peggy

                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 12, 2011
                              I think it depends on the yarn you use. I have a 5 year old and a 6 year old and made hats for both on the red loom. The first time, I used two strands together of worsted weight and they were too tight -- not much stretch in the yarn. Then I bought some chunky yarn and it stretches just enough to fit both of them perfectly!

                              The blue loom fits me so I would think its too big for a child but if the yarn doesn't have very much stretch then it would probably be perfect. Maybe a just have a small head! :)

                              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                              From: Mari <mariloosen@...>
                              Sender: ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:33:27 -0500
                              To: ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com<ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com>
                              ReplyTo: ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com

                            • createitis@epix.net
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 12, 2011
                                Hi, two things that come to mind. One, on one of these groups, I remember someone saying, "If the loom fits over their head the hat will fit. Two though, remember eWrap stitches make a bigger fabric than the other knit type stitches. Hope these help.

                                In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "freeheartedcathy" <freeheartedcathy@...> wrote:

                                > I won't to make a Beanie for a 3 year old could someone tell me what size loom I will need to use .
                                > Thank You Cathy
                              • Brenda Myers GA
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 12, 2011
                                  Typically, you will get about 2 stitches per inch using two strands held as one of #4 yarn using the e-wrap knit stitch. So, based on the e-wrap gauge, a basic hat from a 31-peg loom will be about 15 inches in circumference and the same hat from a 36-peg loom will have an 18 inch circumference. Allowing about 1 inch for stretch, the 31-peg loom hat will fit someone with a head size of about 16 inches and the 36-peg loom will fit someone with a head size about 19 inches. I use the 36-peg loom for most children 2 years old and above for hats I've made.

                                  --
                                  Brenda GA
                                  http://loomlady.blogspot.com
                                  In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "freeheartedcathy" <freeheartedcathy@...> wrote:

                                  > I won't to make a Beanie for a 3 year old could someone tell me what size loom I will need to use .
                                  > Thank You Cathy

                                • kiplani
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 24, 2011
                                    i make professional photography props on my looms and the red one makes newborn sized (or slightly bigger), the green one makes anything from 1 year old to about 4 years old, and the yellow fits everything bigger.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 26, 2011
                                        Hi,

                                      Can you tell me what stitch do you use, ewrap, knit st, "U" st or flat st? Thanks.

                                      JEC of NEPA
                                      createitis@...
                                      http://fibercraftblog.blogspot.com/

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 26, 2011
                                        i mostly use the ewrap stich. every once in a while i will use knit and if i really want it to look fancy i will experiment with the others

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 26, 2011
                                          Hi again, Thank you. It makes a big difference what stitch is used. I've been experimenting with dropping down from the ewrap to the "U" stitch when I reach the crown of the hat. It tends to pull the area in.

                                          Thanks again.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 27, 2011
                                            What a good idea switching to the u stitch at the top of the hat.

                                            Sent from Mari's iPad
                                          • Peggy Rodgers
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 27, 2011
                                              I agree! What stitch do you recommend for beginning the hat if I am knitting the brim to itself when it gets to about 4"? I want the brim to be a stretchy as possible.

                                              Thanks!

                                              Peggy

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 28, 2011
                                                Hi, So far it seems to be doing what I hoped it would. Once I get them all washed and dry, I'll try to post pictures.

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 28, 2011
                                                    Thanks! That's what I've done for hats I've made for 2 of my grandkids, but I'm now worrying that they may not be stretchy enough to fit their heads. One hat is actually more stretchy than the other. The less stretchy one is from two different strands of yarn, and I think that may have an effect. One of the yarns on that one is fairly stretchy, but the other is not. I didn't think of that in the beginning.

                                                    Always learning!

                                                    Peggy
                                                    ps...love your handle!