Less bulky gather bind off

  • Loomin' Tanya Wheatley
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 19, 2011
      Hi all,

      I'm hoping someone here can help me! My brother wants a hat without a
      pom-pom. When using the gather bind off, I have noticed that the top of the
      hat is somewhat squared off. If I decrease the top to half the number of
      pegs, would this make the top more rounded? I would move half the stitches
      to the pegs next to them and knit those off and then do the gather bind off,
      do you think that would work?

      Thanks!

      Hugs,
      Tanya in KY
      Pieced without sight and hand quilted with love
      Skype name: blind.quilter
      BLOG: http://blindquilter.wordpress.com/
      Ravelry ID: twheatley
    • createitis@epix.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 19, 2011
        HI, That's the way I do the ones I make. Not sure it will be less square, but it eliminates some of the bulk. Hope this helps.

        JEC of NEPA
        createitis@...
        http://fibercraftblog.blogspot.com/

      • Loomin' Tanya Wheatley

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 19, 2011
            --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "Loomin' Tanya Wheatley" <blindchic@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I'm hoping someone here can help me! My brother wants a hat without a
            > pom-pom. When using the gather bind off, I have noticed that the top of the
            > hat is somewhat squared off. If I decrease the top to half the number of
            > pegs, would this make the top more rounded? I would move half the stitches
            > to the pegs next to them and knit those off and then do the gather bind off,
            > do you think that would work?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Hello, I am wondering if perhaps you aren't pulling the thread tight enough to prevent the bulkiness at the top of the caps. Pull extremely tight and hold while you make a stitch back and forth across the "hole" then when finished cut the thread and insert your fist/fingers into the top of the cap and shape working out some of the bulkiness. When it is placed on the head it will straighten out even more. Hope this helps.
            > Hugs,
            > Tanya in KY
            > Pieced without sight and hand quilted with love
            > Skype name: blind.quilter
            > BLOG: http://blindquilter.wordpress.com/
            > Ravelry ID: twheatley

          • jesnivo
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 21, 2011
              Another way to gather the hat without so much bulk is, on your last row before you bind off, knit two together. Take the peg from the first peg and put it on the second and then knit over. Continue doing this around the loom. That takes half of the loops off the pegs and makes the hole smaller.

              I still like to do the stitch on the top, because I like the star pattern you can make when you do it.

              Hope that helps. :)

              Jessica
              http://thismamaloomknits.blogspot.com/

              --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "Loomin' Tanya Wheatley" <blindchic@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > I'm hoping someone here can help me! My brother wants a hat without a
              > pom-pom. When using the gather bind off, I have noticed that the top of the
              > hat is somewhat squared off. If I decrease the top to half the number of
              > pegs, would this make the top more rounded? I would move half the stitches
              > to the pegs next to them and knit those off and then do the gather bind off,
              > do you think that would work?
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > Hugs,
              > Tanya in KY
              > Pieced without sight and hand quilted with love
              > Skype name: blind.quilter
              > BLOG: http://blindquilter.wordpress.com/
              > Ravelry ID: twheatley

            • Loomin' Tanya Wheatley
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 21, 2011
                Thanks, Jessica. That is actually what I tried to describe in my post. I did
                give it a try on a hat for myself but didn't like all the sewing involved! I
                may give it another try on this hat for my brother to see if it gets easier
                with time.

                Thanks to everyone for your help!

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 27, 2011
                  That is how I do all my hats that I make on the K.K. even the red one that had an odd number of pegs. just take the stitch thats on 5 to 6 and then the one from 7 back to 6 etc. thats the only one thats done that way the rest is 1 to 2 3 to 4 etc. It works for me....... been doing it for years....

                  it is not necessary to take 5,6,7, you can do it anywhere you want....

                  momanto