Re: [ROUNDLOOMS] Re: chunky braid stitch

  • wellie danger
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 31, 2010
      here's a link to bev's country cottage. she's got some knit hats that have
      a 'CBS' (chunky braid stitch) brim. just scroll down:
      http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/loomed-hats.html

      On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 1:38 PM, ElaineTM <etm1935@...> wrote:

      > Can you point us to a sample, Wellie, I've never
      > seen an example of this.
      >
      > Elaine
      >
      > "Mama exhorted her children at every
      > opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land
      > on the sun, but at least we would get off the
      > ground." --Zora Neale Hurston
      >
      > Hello welliedanger
      >
      > On Saturday, July 31, 2010, you wrote
      >
      > > the chunky braid stitch is really easy. it's
      > > not the cable stitch. it's also called the
      > > 3-over-1 stitch. you simply wrap the pegs four
      > > times and knit three stitches over one (thus,
      > > 3-over-1 ~ brilliant, eh?) the resulting stitch
      > > looks like a braid. it's often used as a border
      > > or for when you need a thicker stitch. hope this helps!
      >
      > > wellie danger
      >
      > > --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, Earline
      > > Marini <earline.marini@...> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> I like to ask a question. I see a pattern, that has a chunky brain
      > stitch in it
      > >> what is it, and how do I make this mstitch.
      > >> Thank You

    • ~Cathy Turner
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1 4:02 PM
        Four times around the loom or four times on each peg all at once?

        --- On Sat, 7/31/10, welliedanger <welliedanger@...> wrote:

        the chunky braid stitch is really easy.  it's not the cable stitch. it's also called the 3-over-1 stitch.  you simply wrap the pegs four times and knit three stitches over one (thus, 3-over-1 ~ brilliant, eh?)  the resulting stitch looks like a braid. it's often used as a border or for when you need a thicker stitch. hope this helps!

        wellie danger

      • KW-D
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1 6:02 PM
          Four times completely around the loom. Then knit off.

          On Aug 1, 2010, at 6:02 PM, ~Cathy Turner wrote:

          > Four times around the loom or four times on each peg all at once?
          >

          > --- On Sat, 7/31/10, welliedanger <welliedanger@...> wrote:
          >
          > the chunky braid stitch is really easy. it's not the cable stitch. it's also called the 3-over-1 stitch. you simply wrap the pegs four times and knit three stitches over one (thus, 3-over-1 ~ brilliant, eh?) the resulting stitch looks like a braid. it's often used as a border or for when you need a thicker stitch. hope this helps!
          >
          > wellie danger

          Dux

          Bonus raccoon!
        • ~Cathy Turner
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1 6:18 PM
            Thanks!

            --- On Sun, 8/1/10, KW-D <KX4WD@...> wrote:

            Four times completely around the loom. Then knit off.

            On Aug 1, 2010, at 6:02 PM, ~Cathy Turner wrote:

            > Four times around the loom or four times on each peg all at once?

          • Earline Marini
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 1 6:38 PM
              Thank You all. I understand how to do it now. Would this stitch be good, in
              place of the brim on a hat?

              ________________________________
              Four times completely around the loom. Then knit off.

              On Aug 1, 2010, at 6:02 PM, ~Cathy Turner wrote:

              > Four times around the loom or four times on each peg all at once?
              >

              > --- On Sat, 7/31/10, welliedanger <welliedanger@...> wrote:
              >
              > the chunky braid stitch is really easy. it's not the cable stitch. it's also
              >called the 3-over-1 stitch. you simply wrap the pegs four times and knit three
              >stitches over one (thus, 3-over-1 ~ brilliant, eh?) the resulting stitch looks
              >like a braid. it's often used as a border or for when you need a thicker stitch.
              >hope this helps!
              >
              > wellie danger

              Dux

              Bonus raccoon!

            • welliedanger
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2 9:43 AM
                cathy,

                that's four times around the loom (or back and forth if you're knitting a flat panel.) does that make sense?

                *wellie*

                --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, ~Cathy Turner <turner.cathy@...> wrote:

                > Four times around the loom or four times on each peg all at once?
                >

                > --- On Sat, 7/31/10, welliedanger <welliedanger@...> wrote:
                >
                > the chunky braid stitch is really easy.  it's not the cable stitch. it's also called the 3-over-1 stitch.  you simply wrap the pegs four times and knit three stitches over one (thus, 3-over-1 ~ brilliant, eh?)  the resulting stitch looks like a braid. it's often used as a border or for when you need a thicker stitch. hope this helps!
                >
                > wellie danger
              • welliedanger
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2 9:44 AM
                  earline,

                  it's often used for exactly that purpose :)

                  wellie

                  --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, Earline Marini <earline.marini@...> wrote:

                  > Thank You all. I understand how to do it now. Would this stitch be good, in
                  > place of the brim on a hat?
                • Earline Marini
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2 10:06 AM
                    Thank You.

                    ________________________________
                    it's often used for exactly that purpose :)

                    wellie

                    --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, Earline Marini <earline.marini@...> wrote:

                    > Thank You all. I understand how to do it now. Would this stitch be good, in
                    > place of the brim on a hat?

                  • ~Cathy Turner
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2 6:08 PM
                      Yep, that's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.

                      Thanks!

                      ~Cathy Turner