hat finishing

  • momanto
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2009
      Good morning!!!

      I have just finished re hiding all the ends of hats I have made for the local cancer hospital..... I have used the super soft yarn in bright colors with the 5 rows of white and then finished off with the color of the hat..... Well anyways they recomend that you wash these hats before donating them sooo I did I had maybe 40 or 50 hats done.....so when I took them out of the dryer, I had all these little tails (LOL) the super soft yarn just came out of the stitches I had put them in at the beginning..... should I have used maybe a longer tail????? what else can I do?????? I also make the hats for the local soup kitchen and I am going to be bringing them my hats in a couple of weeks. there is no problem there as they are made with worsted yarnand the end tails stay put... LOL any suggestions for the super soft hats would be greatly appreciated..... Thanks

      momanto
    • amoonsinger
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2009
        This can happen with any yarn you use. Doesn't matter the kind. It is the reason why I hide very carefully. I leave a six to eight inch tail, then hide in one direction, change and hide in another and another till I have most of the tail yarn used.

        Then after washing if an end should come out you can simply use a crochet hook to pull it back in or just clip it. I have rarely had this happen after washing more then once, but just in case I have plenty of hidden tail to be able to do this clipping.

        Sorry but even though I have knitted for over 40 years, crocheted for over 20, and loom knitted for over five, I have this awful fear of something falling to pieces because I did short tails hiding.

        I feel that if it is worth it to you to make it, then it is worth it to put in the little extra time doing the finishing work. Guess it is a simple matter of pride in my work. When I watch those videos where someone cuts off a one to three inch worth of tail to hide I just cringe.

        MaryJeanne