Re: Need some guidance, please.

  • ranee24
    Message 1 of 14 , May 19, 2009
      --- hi, im michelle. i used a chart i found at lion brand.com that tells how many yards of yarn needed to make projects. it will take 850 yds fun fur to make a 20'x30" baby blanket. a queen comforter is 90"x 96", about 15 baby blankies. 850 x 15 = 12,750 yards. one ball of fun fur is 64 yards. 12750/65 = 199, so you will need 200 balls fun fur!!!
      you can get a nice furry fabric by using one strand fun fur and one strand reg. rh yarn. save the double fun fur for a nice toss pillow iIn ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "ila" <ilanospam-web@...> wrote:

      > Hi. I haven't done any loom knitting in years (long story), and I've got the itch to do a project.
      >
      > I want to make a bedspread for a queen sized bed. I'm using a Serenity loom. I will make the bedspread out of two colors of Lion Brand Fun Fur, knitting both colors together, two strands as one. I also want to make two standard pillow shams to coordinate with the bedspread.
      >
      > I don't want to buy too too much or too little yarn. Of course, I'd rather err on the side of too much than not enough. I need advice, please, on how much yarn to buy. Thanks for whatever help you can provide.
      > Kind regards,
      > Ila

    • Mary Jeanne
      Message 2 of 14 , May 19, 2009
        ROFLOL, Oh gee, why would anyone use fun fur for baby afghans. Fun fur loses bits and pieces just as you are working on it. Can you imagine using it for something to wrap a baby in. This is not only a choking hazzard but a breathing one as well.

        For an adult afghan well that is a different story. We did have a long talk about doing things in fun fur for babys and all the nurses on the another group agreed that fun fur things that came to the hospitals went into the trash bins. The possiblity of harm to babies from the fur strands coming loose is just too high.

        Wow, that is a lot of fun fur to make the large afghan. Oh my that would be very expensive, but oh would it be pretty and heavy. Nice covering for a bed for decoration.

        MaryJeanne

        --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "ranee24" <meech10@...> wrote:

        > --- hi, im michelle. i used a chart i found at lion brand.com that tells how many yards of yarn needed to make projects. it will take 850 yds fun fur to make a 20'x30" baby blanket. a queen comforter is 90"x 96", about 15 baby blankies. 850 x 15 = 12,750 yards. one ball of fun fur is 64 yards. 12750/65 = 199, so you will need 200 balls fun fur!!!
        > you can get a nice furry fabric by using one strand fun fur and one strand reg. rh yarn. save the double fun fur for a nice toss pillow iIn ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "ila" <ilanospam-web@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi. I haven't done any loom knitting in years (long story), and I've got the itch to do a project.
        > >
        > > I want to make a bedspread for a queen sized bed. I'm using a Serenity loom. I will make the bedspread out of two colors of Lion Brand Fun Fur, knitting both colors together, two strands as one. I also want to make two standard pillow shams to coordinate with the bedspread.
        > >
        > > I don't want to buy too too much or too little yarn. Of course, I'd rather err on the side of too much than not enough. I need advice, please, on how much yarn to buy. Thanks for whatever help you can provide.
        > > Kind regards,
        > > Ila

      • ranee24
        Message 3 of 14 , May 19, 2009
          --- oh please, neither i or lb inferred that baby blankies should be made out of fun fur!! according to chart, fub fur is chunky # 5 and it will take 850 yds of chunky yarn for baby blankie size. i used information to find out how many balls are needed to make large bedspread. lolrof michelleIn ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Jeanne" <m_j_pettit@...> woh, pleasrote:

          > ROFLOL, Oh gee, why would anyone use fun fur for baby afghans. Fun fur loses bits and pieces just as you are working on it. Can you imagine using it for something to wrap a baby in. This is not only a choking hazzard but a breathing one as well.
          >
          > For an adult afghan well that is a different story. We did have a long talk about doing things in fun fur for babys and all the nurses on the another group agreed that fun fur things that came to the hospitals went into the trash bins. The possiblity of harm to babies from the fur strands coming loose is just too high.
          >
          > Wow, that is a lot of fun fur to make the large afghan. Oh my that would be very expensive, but oh would it be pretty and heavy. Nice covering for a bed for decoration.
          >

          > MaryJeanne
          >
          > --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "ranee24" <meech10@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- hi, im michelle. i used a chart i found at lion brand.com that tells how many yards of yarn needed to make projects. it will take 850 yds fun fur to make a 20'x30" baby blanket. a queen comforter is 90"x 96", about 15 baby blankies. 850 x 15 = 12,750 yards. one ball of fun fur is 64 yards. 12750/65 = 199, so you will need 200 balls fun fur!!!
          > > you can get a nice furry fabric by using one strand fun fur and one strand reg. rh yarn. save the double fun fur for a nice toss pillow iIn ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "ila" <ilanospam-web@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi. I haven't done any loom knitting in years (long story), and I've got the itch to do a project.
          > > >
          > > > I want to make a bedspread for a queen sized bed. I'm using a Serenity loom. I will make the bedspread out of two colors of Lion Brand Fun Fur, knitting both colors together, two strands as one. I also want to make two standard pillow shams to coordinate with the bedspread.
          > > >
          > > > I don't want to buy too too much or too little yarn. Of course, I'd rather err on the side of too much than not enough. I need advice, please, on how much yarn to buy. Thanks for whatever help you can provide.
          > > > Kind regards,
          > > > Ila

        • ranee24
          Message 4 of 14 , May 19, 2009

          • Caroleismamacat@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , May 20, 2009
              I agree Mary Jeanne..I missed the other conversation but as a critical care Respiratory Therapist I would not ever use any yarn that comes apart easily for any baby items...not just fun fur, but some of the other less twisted yarns I would avoid for these items...I am thinking of the Red Heart Symphony yarn, ( which I have in my stash for other uses), Bernat's Alpaca blend seems to shed too much after being knitted together...some of my eyelash style yarn...and a few other miscellaneous skeins I own...basically if the yarn is easily unraveled or sheds while you work with it, don't use it for baby items! I also look for washability...babies can make an amazing mess for such a tiny body sometimes.

              Good luck!
              Carole
              FLA

              ROFLOL, Oh gee, why would anyone use fun fur for baby afghans. Fun fur loses bits and pieces just as you are working on it. Can you imagine using it for something to wrap a baby in. This is not only a choking hazzard but a breathing one as well.

              For an adult afghan well that is a different story. We did have a long talk about doing things in fun fur for babys and all the nurses on the another group agreed that fun fur things that came to the hospitals went into the trash bins. The possiblity of harm to babies from the fur strands coming loose is just too high.

              Wow, that is a lot of fun fur to make the large afghan. Oh my that would be very expensive, but oh would it be pretty and heavy. Nice covering for a bed for decoration.

              MaryJeanne

              --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogro ups.com, "ranee24" <meech10@... > wrote:

              > --- hi, im michelle. i used a chart i found at lion brand.com that tells how many yards of yarn needed to make projects. it will take 850 yds fun fur to make a 20'x30" baby blanket. a queen comforter is 90"x 96", about 15 baby blankies. 850 x 15 = 12,750 yards. one ball of fun fur is 64 yards. 12750/65 = 199, so you will need 200 balls fun fur!!!
              > you can get a nice furry fabric by using one strand fun fur and one strand reg. rh yarn. save the double fun fur for a nice toss pillow iIn ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogro ups.com, "ila" <ilanospam-web@ > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi. I haven't done any loom knitting in years (long story), and I've got the itch to do a project.
              > >
              > > I want to make a bedspread for a queen sized bed. I'm using a Serenity loom. I will make the bedspread out of two colors of Lion Brand Fun Fur, knitting both colors together, two strands as one. I also want to make two standard pillow shams to coordinate with the bedspread.
              > >
              > > I don't want to buy too too much or too little yarn. Of course, I'd rather err on the side of too much than not enough. I need advice, please, on how much yarn to buy. Thanks for whatever help you can provide.
              > > Kind regards,
              > > Ila

            • Mary Jeanne
              Message 6 of 14 , May 20, 2009
                ROFLOL, your message says "it will take 850 yds fun fur to make a 20'x30" baby blanket.". In the beginning message there was no mention of the chart saying chunky yarn and that fun fur was a chunky yarn. So one would "assume" that the lb site said what you posted. ROFLOL Sorry I do not use their charts. I don't use any charts at all, but do the figuring on my own.

                I said what I said because "someone" will think oh that is a great idea. Yea, sure, right. ROFLOL Fur is pretty, soft, and warm. Why wouldn't it make a cozy baby afghan? Well, I posted the reasons why and mentioned that this would be dangerous for those who just might not have that thought of danger.

                As crafters we don't always see the obvious right in the beginning, and just have the excitement of wow, that sounds like a neat idea. Sometimes I get an idea and someone else says "what about???" then I think, uh oh, nope can't do that.

                I have even had problems with fun fur scarves getting fur loose and breathed in. Nasty feeling in the mouth, choking and spitting. So pointing out the hazards is an appropriate response in my book. Just to put it in everyones mind. Safety first, functional next, pretty last. There are so many nice yarns for babies that do not pose a hazard to their health.

                Heck I only use pompoms for those hats that are not going to be an every day use, and I glue my pompom centers (hot glue) to prevent those strands from coming loose. Those would be a choking hazard. These hats are only for photo props.

                I did not mean to offend you, only to point out the hazards of using these types of yarns to everyone. My lessons in yarns from the nurses in groups has greatly expanded my understanding of that "safety first". I do appreciate those nurses.

                MaryJeanne

                --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "ranee24" <meech10@...> wrote:

                > --- oh please, neither i or lb inferred that baby blankies should be made out of fun fur!! according to chart, fub fur is chunky # 5 and it will take 850 yds of chunky yarn for baby blankie size. i used information to find out how many balls are needed to make large bedspread. lolrof michelle
                > >
                > > --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "ranee24" <meech10@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- hi, im michelle. i used a chart i found at lion brand.com that tells how many yards of yarn needed to make projects. it will take 850 yds fun fur to make a 20'x30" baby blanket. a queen comforter is 90"x 96", about 15 baby blankies. 850 x 15 = 12,750 yards. one ball of fun fur is 64 yards. 12750/65 = 199, so you will need 200 balls fun fur!!!

              • Ederer Diane
                Message 7 of 14 , May 20, 2009
                  Thanks for the information, I've been thinking about making some blankets for the local baby nursery for the new moms. Diane

                  ROFLOL, Oh gee, why would anyone use fun fur for baby afghans. Fun fur loses bits and pieces just as you are working on it. Can you imagine using it for something to wrap a baby in. This is not only a choking hazzard but a breathing one as well.

                  For an adult afghan well that is a different story. We did have a long talk about doing things in fun fur for babys and all the nurses on the another group agreed that fun fur things that came to the hospitals went into the trash bins. The possiblity of harm to babies from the fur strands coming loose is just too high.

                  Wow, that is a lot of fun fur to make the large afghan. Oh my that would be very expensive, but oh would it be pretty and heavy. Nice covering for a bed for decoration.

                  MaryJeanne

                  --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogro ups.com, "ranee24" <meech10@... > wrote:

                  > --- hi, im michelle. i used a chart i found at lion brand.com that tells how many yards of yarn needed to make projects. it will take 850 yds fun fur to make a 20'x30" baby blanket. a queen comforter is 90"x 96", about 15 baby blankies. 850 x 15 = 12,750 yards. one ball of fun fur is 64 yards. 12750/65 = 199, so you will need 200 balls fun fur!!!
                  > you can get a nice furry fabric by using one strand fun fur and one strand reg. rh yarn. save the double fun fur for a nice toss pillow iIn ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogro ups.com, "ila" <ilanospam-web@ > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi. I haven't done any loom knitting in years (long story), and I've got the itch to do a project.
                  > >
                  > > I want to make a bedspread for a queen sized bed. I'm using a Serenity loom. I will make the bedspread out of two colors of Lion Brand Fun Fur, knitting both colors together, two strands as one. I also want to make two standard pillow shams to coordinate with the bedspread.
                  > >
                  > > I don't want to buy too too much or too little yarn. Of course, I'd rather err on the side of too much than not enough. I need advice, please, on how much yarn to buy. Thanks for whatever help you can provide.
                  > > Kind regards,
                  > > Ila

                • Mary Jeanne
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 21, 2009
                    oh one really bad one is red heart baby clouds. I did use it to make a baby ghan and that stuff when washed keeps fluffing off bits, no not bits enough to clog your washer and dryer filters. I hate it.

                    MaryJeanne

                    --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, Caroleismamacat@... wrote:

                    > I agree Mary Jeanne..I missed the other conversation but as a critical care Respiratory Therapist I would not ever use any yarn that comes apart easily for any baby items...not just fun fur, but some of the other less twisted yarns I would avoid for these items...I am thinking of the Red Heart Symphony yarn, ( which I have in my stash for other uses), Bernat's Alpaca blend seems to shed too much after being knitted together...some of my eyelash style yarn...and a few other miscellaneous skeins I own...basically if the yarn is easily unraveled or sheds while you work with it, don't use it for baby items! I also look for washability...babies can make an amazing mess for such a tiny body sometimes.
                    >
                    > Good luck!
                    > Carole
                    > FLA

                  • Jean
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 23, 2009

                      Please read the message here from Mary Jeanne. Check with the hospital before making anything. As she mentioned, anything not appropriate may end up in the trash bin. This is not the first time that perfectly good items have been thrown out rather than an attempt made to find a home for them. Almost any item inappropriate for a baby would make perfectly cute doll clothes for a 5 or 6 year old to use on a baby doll. All your work, time and expense will mean nothing. It is better to find out ahead exactly what they need and their requirements so everyone ends up happy and the item is put to good use.

                      Jean in New Berlin , WI

                      _

                    • juliet
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 23, 2009
                        Very good advice.
                        Thanks,

                        Juliet

                        Please read the message here from Mary Jeanne. Check with the hospital before making anything. As she mentioned, anything not appropriate may end up in the trash bin. This is not the first time that perfectly good items have been thrown out rather than an attempt made to find a home for them. Almost any item inappropriate for a baby would make perfectly cute doll clothes for a 5 or 6 year old to use on a baby doll. All your work, time and expense will mean nothing. It is better to find out ahead exactly what they need and their requirements so everyone ends up happy and the item is put to good use.

                        Jean in New Berlin , WI

                        _

                      • shy_moment
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 5, 2009
                          --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "ila" <ilanospam-web@...> wrote:

                          > Hi. I haven't done any loom knitting in years (long story), and I've got the itch to do a project.
                          >
                          > I want to make a bedspread for a queen sized bed. I'm using a Serenity loom. I will make the bedspread out of two colors of Lion Brand Fun Fur, knitting both colors together, two strands as one. I also want to make two standard pillow shams to coordinate with the bedspread.
                          >
                          > I don't want to buy too too much or too little yarn. Of course, I'd rather err on the side of too much than not enough. I need advice, please, on how much yarn to buy. Thanks for whatever help you can provide.
                          > Kind regards,
                          > Ila

                          This is really going to depend on what pattern you choose to use. Each pattern is different. The more rapping and pegs you use the more yarn you are going to use. For example, a nice simple rib stick isn't going to take near the yarn that a lovely wicker stitch is going to take.
                        • Shirley
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 16, 2009
                            Has anyone tried the tight-to-the-head skater beanie hats on the KK looms?
                            1 strand 4-ply seems too loose
                            2 strands 4-ply seems too bulky

                            maybe 1 strand 4-ply and 1 strand sport weight?
                            I'm thinking 3-4 rows non-curl ribbing, then onto the hat.
                            ShirleyC
                          • shy_moment
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 16, 2009
                              I have found if you want the hat to fit tighter to the head one strange red heart super saver and one strange vanna's choice work great.

                              Rennie