Re: [ROUNDLOOMS] Newbie question

  • sue morris
    Message 1 of 21 , May 1, 2009
      Re: [ROUNDLOOMS] Newbie question Thank you Margery, I’ll go the knittingboard.com and have a look.

      I have another question ... I bet this is basic.  I got a pick with my loom and it had a plastic sleeve on the end of the hook which I took off, then I wondered if it is meant to be on there when I work, but I think it might make picking up the yarn more difficult.  Should I put it back on of is it packaging?

      Thank you everyone for being there for the newbies, this is a lovely forum.
      Sue in australia

      On 1/05/09 4:20 PM, "Margery Cavins" <mcavins@...> wrote:

      On Apr 30, 2009, at 3:00 PM, sue morris wrote:

      I’ve been looking at the DA Looms website and see that there are knitting looms and knitting boards – I can’t work out the difference.  Can someone explain it to me.

      Hi Sue,

      Check out knittingboard.com to see what knitting boards can do.  Essentially, you wrap across the gap & knit a flat panel that is a double knit, very cushy & the same on both sides. They are wonderful for scarves - no curling :o). Another name for a knitting board is *double rake*.  You can also use only the pegs on one side to produce a flat panel, and in that way, it is similar to making a flat panel on a round loom, or *single rake* loom.  Sometimes you can knit in the round on a knitting board, depending on how much larger the gap is then the gauge.  In the US. Knifty Knitter makes plastic knitting boards called long looms.

      Margery

    • Caroleismamacat@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , May 1, 2009
        Actually, the wood ones I own are very sturdy, my flimsy one is a Serenity loom that Hobby Lobby makes, and it might be defective.  I own three Authentic Knitting Boards, a couple of Cindiwood ones, some with no stamp that I think are older Decor Accents ones, and a few more that I picked up along the way...along with my Knifty Knitter ones, they all have their uses.

        Just my feeling...I love using all of them for various projects.

        Carole
        FLA

        From: sue morris <smorris@comcen. com.au>
        To: ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogro< WBR>ups.com
        Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 8:03 PM

        Thank you for the welcome Lora and Karen.  I can’t see my husband getting interested in loom knitting, unless its making me one, he loves woodwork.

        I’ve been browsing the sites that are in the Links folder and have realised that looms can be made of plastic or wood, with nylon, plastic or wooden pegs.  I wondered which people preferred and why.  At the moment I have a set of four that were made in China.  They are working well for me at this stage but I guess as I get more into this my needs will change.

        Thank you again for the welcomes.
        Sue in australia

        On 28/04/09 4:35 PM, "Karen" <kanderson@allegianc e.tv> wrote:

        Welcome to the group.  I am new myself but find this such a helpful group and everyone is so friendly.  My passion is also quilting and sock knitting.  I have enough fabric and yarn stashed away I will need to live to be 130 to use it all.  I am getting ready to learn hand appliqué.  So far all I've done is machine appliqué.
        So unds like we have a lot in common.  I am going to put hubby on a loom to learn to make hats as I make them for a local rest home here.
        Hope you enjoy the group.
        Regards
        Karen A.

        Message 3 of 21 , May 1, 2009

          On May 1, 2009, at 4:44 AM, sue morris wrote:

          I got a pick with my loom and it had a plastic sleeve on the end of the hook which I took off, then I wondered if it is meant to be on there when I work, but I think it might make picking up the yarn more difficult.  Should I put it back on of is it packaging?

          Hi Sue,

          That little sleeve is just to part of the packaging.  You don't use it for working.  I always throw mine away.

          Margery
        • Adrienne Oliver
          Message 4 of 21 , May 4, 2009
            Hi Sue,

            I bought a pack of the long Knifty Knitters looms and that guage is smaller than guage for the round looms.  Even a guage smaller than that would be good.
            A.

            Thank you for your reply.  I’m on the internet now searching for fine guage looms.  There are so many websites for loom quilting  and lots of videos and patterns– I had no idea.
            Sue in australia

            Message 5 of 21 , May 4, 2009
              I'll take a look and see what they've got.

              Message 6 of 21 , May 4, 2009

                I've used the Extra  Fine Guage looms from DA Looms for a long time to make socks.  I've been very happy with them.  They are very sturdy and have stood up to a lot of use.  They now have a wonder loom in EFG that you can just buy one loom and make any size sock.

                Jill

                Message 7 of 21 , May 4, 2009
                  Hi Sue,

                  I'm behind in emails and probably jumping in here without knowing the full subject<G> However, here's my two cents worth on looms.

                  DALooms are my first choice. I love their looms and the craftmanship is amazing.

                  I have lots of looms from others also and they are nice and all are made well. I have the plastic KK's, wooden looms etc. I've no complaints and have no problems with any of them. I have a great loom from Markman Farms, several from DALooms, one long board from American Knitting Board and a few I'm not sure where they came from as I bought them from other people.

                  As for the pegs--my favorite is the cotterpin but I also like the new nylon pegs on DALooms. I've not had any looms with wooden pegs yet. But for some reason, I can zoom a lot faster on the cotter's than anything else.

                  But all in all, you can't go wrong with DALoom-they get my first vote<G>

                  LindaJ