Re: [ROUNDLOOMS] New to Group

  • Shelly Caldwell
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 30, 2008

      Rebecca,

      Welcome to the group.  Have you also joined the loomclass group?  They do a weekly project that helps to learn new techniques etc.

       On a personal note, I believe, after confirming with my mom,Diana, that you are my cousin.  If you want you can email me off the group and we can see.  Happy looming!!

      Shelly C

      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 12, 2008
        Hello, I am new to this group. I am on the HelenKishDolls Yahoo Group
        and there was much discussion about round looms. Looked very
        interesting, especially the part about being good for people who have
        arthritic hands, which I do, so I ordered a loom and the primer. I
        tried to start knitting twice yesterday and ripped both out. Maybe I
        am putting the stitches on too tight?? They didn't want to cooperate
        when I was to take the bottom loop and bring it over the peg. Also,
        although the beginning of the book says it will use clockwise
        directions it starts you off going counter clockwise. Maybe I am just
        dense?? LOL, very well could be when it comes to anything craftlike.

        Hannah Sutton, Damascus, OR
      • Gwendolyn Murray
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 12, 2008
          Hi welcome to the group. Try useing the yarn guide or the end of an ink pen to thread the yarn through it makes wrapping faster and even tension.
          Good luck

          Marcella NC

          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 12, 2008
            >I tried to start knitting twice yesterday and ripped both out.  Maybe
            >I am putting the stitches on too tight?? They didn't want to cooperate
            >when I was to take the bottom loop and bring it over the peg.

            Yes, you have to wrap pretty loosely on looms.  I do them as
            loosely as I can without them falling off, or nearly so.

            >Also, although the beginning of the book says it will use clockwise
            >directions it starts you off going counter clockwise.

            It doesn't matter if you go clockwise or counterclockwise.  But if
            you're right handed, I'd advise going clockwise, and if you're left
            handed, I'd go counterclockwise.  The reason is that on some
            stitches, you hold the yarn over or under the loop on the peg while
            you use the looming tool to pull the yarn or the loop on the peg
            through.  You want to be holding the yarn with your non dominant
            hand while you're using the tool with your dominant hand, and you
            want to be holding that yarn on the side opposite your dominant
            hand so it's out of the way.

            HTH,

            ~Cathy Turner

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 11, 2011

              I just joined today. In looking through the site, I have seen several patterns that
              I would like to try. However, when I click on them and open them, they are all
              scrambled and unreadable.
              Any ideas or any help will be greatly appreciated.

              Thank You,

              Pam
            • denise odaniels
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 11, 2011
                welcome to our group...
                Pammie.we are glad to have u.hugs denise

                To: roundlooms@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 12, 2011
                  Thank You, Thank You to everyone for your help.
                  I was able to download open office and it worked.
                  I joined another group months ago and asked why
                  and noone was able to help at all. I cannot express
                  how much I appreciate your help.

                  Pam