Re: [ROUNDLOOMS] for those of you who knit for preemies ...

  • marie
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2008
      >>>>>>>>>>>>if you knit or crochet
      for preemies you should not use RED HEART SUPER SAVER yarn<<<<<<<<<<

      What if you washed the item and used Downy or some such before it was
      donated? Or is it that the preemies are so extra sensitive?

      Marie in Mississippi

      "Grant me the serenity to accept the person I cannot change, the
      courage to change the person I can, and the wisdom to know that it's me."
    • Medsgtcsa@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2008
        Yes, to all of those trying to help, preemies skin is very thin, almost translucent, and will not handle scratchy yarns...some babies can not be stimulated too much as they are so sensitive.  I am a Respiratory Therapist who did not like handling the preemies in the hospital, they are so delicate!  so I work with children and adults mostly, but my hat and heart go out to those dedicated enough to work with these frail lives.  The good news is many grow up to be normal children...due to the wonderful care they receive in the fine hospitals that specialize in this field.  Overwhelming thanks to all caregivers in these hospitals!!
        Also, no, I believe that ANY fabric softener should be used rarely if at all...fabric softeners do not "soften" fabric or yarn THAT much...and they sometimes can be very irritating to delicate skin.  Consider washing any item before sending it to the hospital in what the hospital recommends...something low residual, low suds I would assume.  I don't want to name brands without approval from those with more experience than me, but I would be extra careful...

        Good luck and God bless your work!

        Carole L.