Re: E-Wrap is not really Knitting!

  • lynn markman
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      I like your explaination, and if I may, I'd like to copy it to use in
      instructions, etc.
      Thank you for taking the time for discovery and posting the results.
      Sincerely,
      Lynn Markman

      --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "meilynne" <meilynne@y...> wrote:

      > By posting this same message in a Knifty Knitter group, I got
      > blasted by got a huge wave of anger from members who thought I was
      > demeaning the art of looming. I do not think that looming is fake,
      > and I give it as much artistic crediblity as any other method of
      > turning yarn into fabric.
      >
      > My post was simply meant to be a technical explanation about my
      > little discovery. Maybe not all my ideas are good, but please
      don't
      > pelt me with insults. I joined this group to share, because I love
      > to loom!
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Meilynne
      >
      > --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "meilynne" <meilynne@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I finally figured out why my loom projects don't quite look like
      > the
      > > equivalent of needle knitting, even when diligently following the
      > > same stitch patterns.
      > >
      > > The standard E-wrap is actually a TWISTED knit stitch! Stretch out
      > > a loom project that's E-wraped every row, and you'll can see the
      > > braids make little cursive E's. Stretch out a piece of "real"
      > > knitting in the equivalent stockingnette stitch, and you'll see
      > that
      > > it's more like interlocking horseshoes.
      > >
      > > I took a pair of needles, and wrapped the yarn backwards before
      > each
      > > knit stitch, and guess what? I got the same pattern as the E-wrap,
      > > a twisted knit stitch!
      > >
      > > So I tried the flat-stitch, and THAT is actually a real knit
      > > stitch. That's why it lies flat. And the Purl that we've been
      > > doing all along is actually correct. Whew!
    • Betty Todd
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
        I am a "newbie" taking knitting classes and I love it. I just
        discovered looming this week. Yesterday, in one of my two classes, I
        asked if that is "cheating." Grand you, it looks like it will be
        much easier and I did buy TWO different loom sets. ha ha ha

        I want to do the magic scarf that can be used as a neck scarf draped
        around the neck in the usual manner and 3 to 4 other styles. This
        is why I bought the loom because someone told me this is how to make
        that scarf.

        Betty Todd
        Houston, TX