Knitting Loom Tip: Use 2 (or more) strands with wider guage looms

  • Iris
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2003
      Hi. I keep reading in different on-line groups, about
      the same problem I had when I first started loom
      knitting: too loose stitches, even like a "net", when
      using only one strand of worsted weight (like regular
      Red Heart) yarn on the medium to large guage knitting
      looms and knitting boards.
      So I just want to share this tip with you to help your
      loom knitting go well:
      With the medium to large guage (this meaning the pegs
      are spaced widely apart) looms and boards, *ALWAYS*
      use two or more strands of worsted weight (or thinner
      weight) yarn. Or you can use one strand of chunky or
      bulky weight yarns on the large and medium guages, but
      I find that I need to add a worsted weight strand
      along with the bulky/chunky strands on those looms.
      The peg spacing determines the guage (how thick or how
      thin/loose or tight stitches) of your knitting
      stitches. I love to knit this way and I have been
      trying pretty color combinations!
      Another tip: when you wrap the pegs, be sure to not
      wrap them too tightly or it will be very difficult to
      lift the yarn loops over the pegs. I always put the
      thumb of my other hand (the hand holding the
      loom/board) in the *inside* of each peg (to hold the
      yarn so I won't wrap too tightly) as I wrap each peg.
      Your loom should come with instructions on how to wrap
      the pegs. If not, please go (scroll down below, in my
      signature line on this e-mail, and click on the link
      to my page) to my "Iris' Knitting Loom and Knitting
      Board Hobby" page for great and informative LINKS
      (just click on them) all about this type of knitting.
      Keep up the great work, Everyone!

      =====
      Take Care & Stay Safe, Iris
      I enjoy making things for people in need. Please read about it here:
      http://community.webtv.net/Weavergal56/WEAVERGALS

      Iris' Knitting Loom and Knitting Board Hobby Webpage:
      http://community.webtv.net/sari56/IrisKnittingLoomand
      Please don't send any forwards or jokes to me. Thanks.