Felted coin purse - Help needed

  • bratty295
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2007
      Good Morning,

      Last week on the lion brand site they had a pattern for felted knitted
      coin purses. They are adorable if you haven't seen them I am looking
      for help on how to figure out how to loom knit the pattern on the
      knifty knitter blue loom which is the smallest loom with 24 pegs. I
      think it is figuring out the gauge that is throwing me off. The
      guage is 15st + 18 rows = 4inches. Thank you in advace Enjoy your
      day Steph
    • dome-dweller
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2007
        Hello Steph,

        I'm thinking this is the pattern you are referring to:
        http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60777A.html?noImages=

        Since you are felting, exact gauge is not as important as a comparison of the gauge you need to use with the yarn & loom you are using in order to produce a felted flat panel that is 10" X 6" inches (the size of the Lion Brand purse before folding it into the finished size). If you want your purse to turn out the same size as the one in the pattern, you need to do a test swatch with the yarn and the loom you'll be using to determine how many stitches and rows you actually need to knit.

        Isela has a little felted "essentials pouch" that is similar in size to the Lion Brand purse that might help you here:
        http://www.loomknit.com/essentials-pouch.html

        In her pattern, which is knitted on a 32 peg large gauge loom, she gives the dimension as follows: before felting: 8” x 6 ½” - after felting: 6” x 5” x 1". This is about a 75% shrinkage from the felting. If you used the same type loom, yarn and tension as the essentials pouch, then you could knit a flat panel on a large gauge loom that measures about 13.5" X 8" before felting and this should result in the 10" X 6" flat panel needed for the Lion Brand purse.

        Let me add a few words of caution when felting. Check on items during the felting process and remove them as soon as the desired size is achieved when blocking. If it's still not felted enough, you can always go back and felt it some more. If you over felt an item, there is no such thing as "un-felting".       .
        Brenda GA
        http://loomlady.blogspot.com