Triangle Shawl Pattern

  • stephanie dinsmore
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2007
      Hi

      This is my first post but i have been a member for a couple of months and enjoy all the posts about loom knitting.   I was wondering does anybody have a triangle shawl pattern they would share with me.   Thank you in advance  Enjoy your day  Steph

      Building a website is a piece of cake.
    • bratty295
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2007
        Hi

        This is my first post and just wanted to let you know how much i enjoy
        hearing about other loomers. I am looking for a triangle shawl
        pattern that somebody would like to share with me. I would like to
        make these for gifts. Thank you in advance Enjoy your day Steph
      • Medsgtcsa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 13, 2007
          Hi Steph!
               I have used a large triangle loom for about 6 years now...I built a couple until I made one strong enough to take tension I put on it...the shawls I make are rather heavy and I try to use only natural materials...I am a Living Historian and prefer to make things that are useful for events I attend and for friends in the hobby.  The first one I ever saw was made of 3 pieces of wood, and had an equal number of nails across the "top" piece as down each "side"...the difference was the measurement between the nails...I want to say 5/8 inch between the top nails and 1/2 inch between the nails on each side.  Mine is rather large...the top piece measures 7 ft, as I am a large woman and wanted a shawl large enough to wrap around me.  There are people that make very pretty looms that I have seen on ebay...I believe there is also a Tri-loom weavers guild in North Florida ( from what friends have told me).  I have seen others sell the finished product at Colonial craft and Seminole encampments...they can be rather expensive but VERY pretty.
               I am sure that there are others who know more than me, but mine has worked fine for about 10 shawls...I have a lot of other hobbies and made my most recent shawl about 6 months ago.

               By the way...The A.C. Moore's crafts store in Orlando, FL (Colonial Drive) is having a loom day on Sept 29th,  11 am to 3 pm.  The lady who is teaching it is showing basics and I am going to bring some of the more "advanced" projects I have made...  she thinks I am better than I am, but I am only using patterns I have found on the Internet and from this group...and lessons I learned from Isela's book.  So if you are local to the area, come by and I would love to meet you...I am volunteering, not a paid spokesperson...but I will bring the various looms that I use and will be glad to share where I got them from.

               Hope to meet some of you!

          Carole H.

        • Christi Brogan
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 13, 2007
            Hi Steph,

            I don't have a pattern really, but I can tell you what I do to make my triangle prayer shawls... It's all in e-wrap knit stitch using increases and I do it on the yellow KK loom... I have the DA prayer shawl loom, but only got that recently and haven't completed a shawl on it yet.  Anyway, here's the deal...

            E-wrap peg 1. E-wrap peg 2 twice. E-wrap peg 1 again. You now have 2 strands on each peg. Knit off. E-wrap 1 & 2 again. Knit off. E-wrap peg 3 once, then e-wrap back to peg 1. Now you have two strands on 1 & 2 plus one strand on peg #3.  Knit off pegs 1 & 2. E-wrap 1, 2, 3. Knit off 1-3. E-wrap peg 4 once, then wrap back to peg 1 (so, there are now two strands on 1,2,&3, plus 1 strand on 4). Knit off pegs 1-3. E-wrap 1-4. Knit off. E-wrap peg 5 once, then back to peg 1. And so on... Each time you e-wrap AWAY from peg 1, you knit off, then wrap the next empty peg and wrap back to 1. Knit off all pegs with two strands then repeat. When I reach the 41st peg (the one right next to the starting peg). and e-wrap back to peg 1, I start counting.  I knit 10-12 rows of the full loom. Then start decreasing, one peg at a time. So wrap to peg 1. Move the loop from peg 40 to peg 41. Knit off. Move that loop back to peg 40. E-wrap out to peg 40 from peg 1. Knit off. E-wrap back to peg 1. Knit off.  Move the loop from peg 39 to peg 40. Knit off. Move that loop back to peg 39. E-wrap to peg 39. Knit off. E-wrap back to peg 1. Knit off and so on until you're back to just the first two pegs you started with and then bind off.  I hope that makes sense since I'm not a pattern writer :)  I have created a pattern on paper for a different kind of shawl, but want to knit it up first myself to make sure it looks good and then will be happy to share.  It will also be a triangle prayer shawl, but using a combination of 3 pattern.  To finish off the shawl, I add fringe to the short sides of the triangle and it's done.  I'll see if I can't post a picture at some point of the one I've got sitting here now ready for our next blessing...

            -Christi

            Feel free to ask if this doesn't make sense. I can try and make it easier to understand :)

            This is my first post but i have been a member for a couple of months and enjoy all the posts about loom knitting.   I was wondering does anybody have a triangle shawl pattern they would share with me.   Thank you in advance  Enjoy your day  Steph
          • dome-dweller
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 14, 2007
              This is all new to me, so I did a little research and found this site that might be useful for those thinking of building and using a tri-loom:
              http://kero1au.tripod.com/id18.html
              Brenda GA
              http://loomlady.blogspot.com

              Medsgtcsa@... wrote:

              Hi Steph!
                   I have used a large triangle loom for about 6 years now...I built a couple until I made one strong enough to take tension I put on it...the shawls I make are rather heavy and I try to use only natural materials... I am a Living Historian and prefer to make things that are useful for events I attend and for friends in the hobby. ............................................
            • stephanie dinsmore

                This is my first post but i have been a member for a couple of months and enjoy all the posts about loom knitting.   I was wondering does anybody have a triangle shawl pattern they would share with me.   Thank you in advance  Enjoy your day  Steph

              • gail