Re: [ROUNDLOOMS] suggestions needed for using loom with only 1 hand

  • Celine K Wiand
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2007
      In a number of craft stores, they sell stands for people who use frames for embroidery or quilting -- maybe one of those could be adapted to hold a loom?  You'd need to have something that holds the loom up far enough that the knitted fabric can come through the bottom.  Maybe something with a swing-arm and a clamp on the end?  Good luck with it, and to your friend.

      Celine

      lebaltzloom <baltznoah@...> wrote:
      HI, I am trying to think of or find suggestions for a friend who
      after a stroke cannot use her left arm or hand. She is right handed.
      If you know of a site with suggestions for round loom use with just 1
      arm, please post them or email me directly. Her rehab team has not
      come up with anything that allows the loom to be secured to a board or
      table yet be turned around as she works aroung a loom.

      I will be very greatful for any suggestions. Prior to her stroke she
      spent much of her free time crocheting or looming. She is 47 YO.

      Thanks for any help!

      Lynne Ames, Iowa

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • mary conklin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2007
        how about trying to cut a hole in a small wooden table that they can ancor the loom to but yet be small enough for her to turn with her good arm

        ~LoomyJulie~ <loomyjulie@...> wrote:

        Does she have any leg strength?  She might be able to hold the looms with her thighs and use her good arm to wrap and knit off and turn the loom on her lap????

        ~LoomyJulie~
        Shawano, Wisconsin
        My Yahoo Photos: http://pg.photos. yahoo.com/ ph/jbg1760/ album

        HI,  I am trying to think of or find suggestions for a friend who
        after a stroke cannot use her left arm or hand.  She is right handed.
        If you know of a site with suggestions for round loom use with just 1
        arm, please post them or email me directly.  Her rehab team has not
        come up with anything that allows the loom to be secured to a board or
        table yet be turned around as she works aroung a loom.

        I will be very greatful for any suggestions.  Prior to her stroke she
        spent much of her free time crocheting or looming.  She is 47 YO.

        Thanks for any help!

        Lynne   Ames, Iowa

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • S. Gordon von Miller

          HI,  I am trying to think of or find suggestions for a friend who
          after a stroke cannot use her left arm or hand.  She is right handed.
          If you know of a site with suggestions for round loom use with just 1
          arm, please post them or email me directly.  Her rehab team has not
          come up with anything that allows the loom to be secured to a board or
          table yet be turned around as she works aroung a loom.

          I will be very greatful for any suggestions.  Prior to her stroke she
          spent much of her free time crocheting or looming.  She is 47 YO.

          Thanks for any help!

          Lynne   Ames, Iowa

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:ROUNDLOOMS-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:ROUNDLOOMS-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          []

          http://mail.yahoo.com

      • mellucious
        Message 4 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
          --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "lebaltzloom" <baltznoah@...> wrote:

          > HI, I am trying to think of or find suggestions for a friend who
          > after a stroke cannot use her left arm or hand. She is right
          handed.
          > If you know of a site with suggestions for round loom use with just 1
          > arm, please post them or email me directly. Her rehab team has not
          > come up with anything that allows the loom to be secured to a board
          or
          > table yet be turned around as she works aroung a loom.
          >
          > I will be very greatful for any suggestions. Prior to her stroke she
          > spent much of her free time crocheting or looming. She is 47 YO.
          >
          > Thanks for any help!
          >
          > Lynne Ames, Iowa

          Hi Lynne,

          I know this reply might be a little late, however it is coming from
          experience. I have a cast on my left arm right now (I'm a righty), but
          I do just like the first posting said-I hold the loom either between my
          thighs, or put the loom on my lap and kind of brace it with my leg
          crossed over the thigh. Then I just turn it as I go. It took some
          adjustment, but I've gotten used to it-so will your friend.