roundloom woes

  • wool2watercolors
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 17, 2003
      Sounds like you are really having to wrestle with this one! I think
      the trick to round looms is using a very thick yarn, or several
      strands together. I use my handspun, so I can make it as thick
      as I want. I'm just now taking it up again after a few years away
      from any sort of yarn work, but the last thing I did was a tiny
      newborn hat made of blue/lavendar wool with white angora fluff
      mixed in. It came out sooo cute! I got one of those flexible
      plastic roundlooms too, and though I've never used it, I'm
      thinking it won't work well. For some reason it's ever-so-slightly
      sticky and that won't work well with handspun at all. So I'll just
      have to fiddle with it until I can pop for a wood one.
    • S.D.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 17, 2003
        Wow! Somebody to talk to here!
        I gotta go out of town today. I'll be back tonite .
        I solved it I think with a loom with pegs closer together, though...!
        -Sue !!!!!!!!!!!!!
        (be back tonite!)

        wool2watercolors wrote:

        Sounds like you are really having to wrestle with this one!  I think
        the trick to round looms is using a very thick yarn, or several
        strands together. I use my handspun, so I can make it as thick
        as I want.  I'm just now taking it up again after a few years away
        from any sort of yarn work, but the last thing I did was a tiny
        newborn hat made of blue/lavendar wool with white angora fluff
        mixed in. It came out sooo cute!   I got one of those flexible
        plastic roundlooms too, and though I've never used it, I'm
        thinking it won't work well. For some reason it's ever-so-slightly
        sticky and that won't work well with handspun at all. So I'll just
        have to fiddle with it until I can pop for a wood one.

        Buy Coral Calcium for Greater Health. 1 month supply - $23.95
        (1 bottle, 90 tablets, 400mg each with Magnesium & Vitamin D)
        http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2805&lp=calcium2.asp
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mcIe3D/v9VGAA/ySSFAA/PTTolB/TM

      • S.D.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 17, 2003
          I don't much like the stickiness of the plastic either.
          I found a good site for wooden looms.... A couple of them....
          http://www.knittinglooms.bigstep.com/generic.html?pid=3
          The girl there is very helpful She broke up ses for me just so I could buy little things like :thumb looms for mittens, just so i could play and experiment.
          Thumb looms are only about $3-4. And the looms I got were marked "(child thumb... adult thumb.... infant bootie.... etc. Worth the difference in money from the Attic looms.
          I og t2 dirty looms from attic, Glow in the dark plastic? And I don't know the best way to clean them. I feel like giving them back.

          And looms these look good:  http://hummersley.7h.com/id18.htm
          The man naswered my questions proomplty.

          But I had already bought the size I needed from the first place.

          -Sue