Re: Socks for Soldiers

  • Lynn Carpenter
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2006
      "Joyce Childs" joyandmic@... wrote:

      >But I must comment. I am a vet, 15 years in the army. The military
      issues socks. Cotton ones so your feet can breath. When stationed in
      overseas climates such as they are, they are told to bring extra socks,
      tight knit, made of cotton, so that their feet can breath and sand does not
      get into their boots.
      >I am sorry to say that black wool socks would really not be appropriate.

      Well, I'll comment, then, too. My husband is currently in the National
      Guard and has been for over 20 years. I have washed a lot of uniforms from
      the skin out in the last 20+ years. The recent military issue socks that
      he has are black wool. Before that, they used to be green wool.

      So I guess it must vary depending on the branch of the military. And I
      can't resist complaining that those old green wool socks did not shrink in
      a warm wash, but these darn new black ones do! They shrink a lot!

      We knit socks with "superwash" wool -- I sure wish whoever is procuring
      Army socks these days would rediscover superwash wool again, so I don't
      have to baby black wool socks through the laundry.

      Guess I better go knit and calm down, huh? ;)

      Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA
      alwen at i2k dot com
      http://lost-arts.blogspot.com/