Socks for Soldiers~ The 20 minutes- 1 pair of socks challenge

  • knitomaniac
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 27, 2006
      "THE TWENTY MINUTES-ONE PAIR OF SOCKS" CHALLENGE

      Can you give 20 minutes toward one single pair of BIG BLACK SOCKS? I
      hereby challenge every single person who reads this AD to think about
      this-
      We all have busy lives, family to knit for, other projects, other
      charities, college, work, kids, gardens, lawns to mow- sports to
      attend, weddings, funerals, groceries- the list goes on and on and
      on. What more important thing can you do in 20 minutes time, that
      could put a big smile on a soldiers face, and let him/her know that
      they are loved?
      No one is more busy than me- and I respectfully challenge you to
      commit to 20 minutes a day for this worthwhile mission. My hopes are
      to send 100,000 pairs of BIG BLACK SOCKS to our men and women who so
      honorably serve this country-
      CAN YOU GIVE 20 MINUTES OF YOUR TIME TO ONE SOLDIER? MAKE THE
      COMMITMENT TODAY-
      Join SOCKS FOR SOLDIERS by clicking on this link- we will get you all
      the help and encouragement you need to begin your socks. In the fall
      addition of Knit Simple magazine our group was featured in a small
      blurb about charity knitting. Our membership is at 361 and growing
      daily- come join in all the fun.
      Kim Opperman~ Socks for Soldiers
      Contact information:
      bagelllady37@...

      SOCKFORSOLDIERS@yahoogroups.com
    • miller_1942
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
        well lady for your information i sent 85 care packages and lsot count of letters and cards i mailed last year to soldiers i adopted.. we have no one in the miltiary at this time...plus i work 10 - 12 hours shifts.. have four kids and a hubby to do things for.. I make cool ties and kisses for our HEROES...I have 13 hugh flower bed to water and weed.. plus two gardens--one i share with the senior meal site..I also crochet or knit hats, mittens for Afganistan kids..do hats for premmies, make squares for Warm up America, make lap-gans for our wounded HEROES.. plus i bake and do yard work so don't give me any crap how busy you are.. for your information not every body knits with 4 or 5 needles nor can they afford the price of wool yard.. maybe you have a money tree in your back yard--sorry I do not..You know people are getting tired of being harrased by you.. the time you take to send all these messages you could be kntting more socks to meet your goal...now bag off--I for one do
        not want any more mail from you--what part of that do you not understand???????????????

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
          Gosh....that is pretty harsh...she didn't say that you were just sitting
          around picking your nose....I've belonged to this group (roundlooms) for
          awhile now and haven't seen this hardly at all. There is a very good way to
          avoid this problem...use your delete key. That is what it is made for. The
          subject line says what it is about so just delete it before you read it.
          I hope Everyone is staying cool so tempers don't flair up....
          I've been working on small projects, socks & dishcloths...what is everyone
          else doing?

          LoomyJulie/Shawano, Wisconsin
          My Yahoo Photos: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jbg1760/album
          If you ever have any questions about anything please feel free to ask! The
          only ‘dumb’ question is the one that goes un-asked!
          loomyjulie@...

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
            Hello,
            I usually just read and do not write. I enjoy the links everyone posts and enjoy your enthusiasm.
            But I must comment. I am a vet, 15 years in the army. The military issues socks. Cotton ones so your feet can breath. When stationed in overseas climates such as they are, they are told to bring extra socks, tight knit, made of cotton, so that their feet can breath and sand does not get into their boots.
            I am sorry to say that black wool socks would really not be appropriate.
            Charity knitting is a good thing and as a teacher I encourage you all to get school children involved for all the needy charities.
            Joyce
            PS, the Peace Dolls are another great idea!

[...]

            <!--
            #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family: arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;*font-size:small;*font:x-small;}
            #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;*font-size:100%;}
            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{
            font-family: Georgia;
            }
            #ygrp-text p{
            margin: 0 0 1em 0;
            }
            #ygrp-tpmsgs{
            font-family: Arial;
            clear: both;
            }
            #ygrp-vitnav{
            padding-top: 10px;
            font-family: Verdana;
            font-size: 77%;
            margin: 0;
            }
            #ygrp-vitnav a{
            padding: 0 1px;
            }
            #ygrp-actbar{
            clear: both;
            margin: 25px 0;
            white-space:nowrap;
            color: #666;
            text-align: right;
            }
            #ygrp-actbar .left{
            float: left;
            white-space:nowrap;
            }
            .bld{font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-grft{
            font-family: Verdana;
            font-size: 77%;
            padding: 15px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-ft{
            font-family: verdana;
            font-size: 77%;
            border-top: 1px solid #666;
            padding: 5px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
            padding-bottom: 10px;
            }

            #ygrp-vital{
            background-color: #e0ecee;
            margin-bottom: 20px;
            padding: 2px 0 8px 8px;
            }
            #ygrp-vital #vithd{
            font-size: 77%;
            font-family: Verdana;
            font-weight: bold;
            color: #333;
            text-transform: uppercase;
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul{
            padding: 0;
            margin: 2px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li{
            list-style-type: none;
            clear: both;
            border: 1px solid #e0ecee;
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
            font-weight: bold;
            color: #ff7900;
            float: right;
            width: 2em;
            text-align:right;
            padding-right: .5em;
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
            font-weight: bold;
            }
            #ygrp-vital a {
            text-decoration: none;
            }

            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
            text-decoration: underline;
            }

            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
            color: #999;
            font-size: 77%;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
            padding: 6px 13px;
            background-color: #e0ecee;
            margin-bottom: 20px;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
            padding: 0 0 0 8px;
            margin: 0;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
            list-style-type: square;
            padding: 6px 0;
            font-size: 77%;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
            text-decoration: none;
            font-size: 130%;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
            background-color: #eee;
            margin-bottom: 20px;
            padding: 0 8px;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
            padding: 8px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
            font-family: Arial;
            font-weight: bold;
            color: #628c2a;
            font-size: 100%;
            line-height: 122%;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
            text-decoration: none;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
            text-decoration: underline;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
            margin: 0;
            }
            o {font-size: 0; }
            .MsoNormal {
            margin: 0 0 0 0;
            }
            #ygrp-text tt{
            font-size: 120%;
            }
            blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;}
            .replbq {margin:4}
            -->
            </head>
            <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~-->

          • pdkiddle
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
              Julie and all,

              I am a newbie and making a scarf and some first time
              socks.
              I have to say I need a finer gauge loom and different
              yarn.
              My socks are as thick as a blanket. So now they are
              toe-rrific house booties.

              As soon as i improve I will knit for charity.

              Katrina

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Bonnie
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
                On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 08:32:12AM -0400, miller_1942 wrote:
                > well lady for your information i sent 85 care packages and lsot count of letters and cards i mailed last year to soldiers i adopted..
                <snip>

                Wow. What a nasty flame to an "innocent" suggestion that I was
                happy enough to ignore.

                My $.02: Support our troops -- bring them home now!

                You see? That's why you shouldn't get all political on knitting
                lists. Not everyone supports sending our troops over to invade
                other counties and earn the U.S. more and worse enemies than it
                had before.

                For those in the U.S.:
                *I'll* suggest that folks spend those 20 minutes writing to their
                representatives or working on the campaigns of anti-war politicians
                so that our soldiers can come home, instead of "Making the World
                Safe for Shari'a" (Islamic religious law), which is all
                "democracy" over there is going to produce as long as they have
                an occupying force to rile them up and give power to the extremists.

                Our occupation there is creating more terrorists than it's stopping,
                and it's driving the country into a bankruptcy that our children
                will have to suffer under.

                Vote Libertarian.

                Bonnie
              • miller_1942
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
                  I tried that and also writing her privately and she keeps sending the same letter to every knitting, crochet and support group site like up to 7 a day.. many of the other ladies on different sites i belong to are ticked off to..She committed to sending knitted wool socks yet expects everyone else to help her by sending a guilt trip to people...How many have you knitted since you got on my case??? have you sent any care packages????

                  From: miller_1942
                  Date: 08/01/06 07:37:16
                  Subject: RE: [ROUNDLOOMS] Socks for Soldiers~ The 20 minutes- 1 pair of<br>
                  socks challenge

                  well lady for your information i sent 85 care packages and lsot count of<br>
                  letters and cards i mailed last year to soldiers i adopted.. we have no one<br>
                  in the miltiary at this time...plus i work 10 - 12 hours shifts.. have four<br>
                  kids and a hubby to do things for.. I make cool ties and kisses for our<br>
                  HEROES...I have 13 hugh flower bed to water and weed.. plus two gardens--one<br>
                  i share with the senior meal site..I also crochet or knit hats, mittens for<br>
                  Afganistan kids..do hats for premmies, make squares for Warm up America,<br>
                  make lap-gans for our wounded HEROES.. plus i bake and do yard work so don't<br>
                  give me any crap how busy you are.. for your information not every body<br>
                  knits with 4 or 5 needles nor can they afford the price of wool yard.. maybe<br>
                  you have a money tree in your back yard--sorry I do not..You know people are<br>
                  getting tired of being harrased by you.. the time you take to send all these<br>
                  messages you could be kntting more socks to meet your goal...now bag off--I<br>
                  for one do
                  not want any more mail from you--what part of that do you not<br>
                  understand??<wbr>?????????<wbr>????

                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]<br>

                  <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->
                  <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~-->
                  <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->
                  <head>
                  <!--

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 2, 2006
                    I have fine gage looms and also have extra fine gage ordered...I've done
                    socks on them many times...but just didn't know if they would work for this
                    cause.
                    Thanks Katrina....

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 2, 2006
                      Hello Katrina, I just wanted to tell you that I have a twelve year old
                      Maltese named Shandy that looks identical to Chloe, the little dog pictured
                      in your photo album He doesn�t know he�s a dog.

                      ~Brenda in GA