Re: pattern conversion/gauge

  • barbthegasser
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006
      Lynn,

      Can't send this to Group ...says "Your form submission has
      expired"...what the hey does that mean? Anyway, I'll just send it to
      you then. Update...I went into "Edit Membership" and "Saved Changes"
      (without making any), so will see if the message gets posted this time.

      Hi, how are you doin'?? I remember you (I think it was you) from
      waaay back when we were trying to figure out how to do a purl st on
      the looms. At least, I think you are the same Lynn...excuse me if I
      have the wrong person.

      You are absolutely correct in regards to moving sts to adjoining pegs
      to create eyelets or buttonholes and technically reducing the number
      of sts actually knit off in that round.

      I was referring to inc and dec the total number of sts in the round
      for the purpose of enlarging or reducing the size of the knitted
      piece...as in the top of a hat, for example, where we would really
      like to gradualy decrease the total no of sts in the round as is done
      when handknitting a hat.

      But...one can use the st characeristics to help out a little here.
      Some are just looser or tighter than others. We know the flat knit st
      and/or the flat knit 1/purl 1 rib st will cause the work to pull in
      quite a bit. So, if one knits the body of a hat using the ewrap knit
      st with a 1/1 or 1/2 knit-off for the body of the hat, then switches
      to the flat knit or flat knit/purl rib (K1,P1) for the last 2-3
      inches, the top pulls in noticeably. I also go from 2 strands of yarn
      to one when I change the st type.

      However, one still has same no of sts on pegs to cast-off. One can
      cut the number of sts remaining in half, by moving the st on peg 1 to
      peg 2, the one on peg 3 to peg 4, on around. Knit off those pegs with
      2 sts remaining with 1/1. Now, when one draws up the top there are
      1/2 the no of sts to pick off the pegs. This helps a little to reduce
      the bulk of the drawn-up, cast-off row.

      When I first started looming, I wanted to get an idea of gauge, a term
      I seldom see used when working with loom patterns or discussions. I
      did a couple of swatches. One was with single strand WW yarn, one
      with double strand WW and one with single strand bulky weight. I used
      12 pegs of a standard gauge (1/2" center peg spacing). I did 12 rows
      each of single knit (ewraped 1/1), double (ewraped 1/2) and flat knit.
      Later, I did the same with the rib st and garter st. I still have
      those swatches. I was so amazed at how much the flat knit sts drew
      the work in...and I do a pretty loose flat knit st, very
      intentionally, after doing a row of sts so tight I couldn't knit them
      off.

      I do wish gauge was mentioned in loom patterns. It doesn't matter
      much in shawls and afghans, but it makes a big difference when it
      comes to hats/socks or mittens.

      Just my mornin' ramblings,
      Barb in NC