Re: newbie

  • xagira500
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 30, 2004
      --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, Lee Ann Hamm <lhamm@p...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone,
      >....But I decided that I need to use some of the larger bulky weight
      yarns rather than regular worsted weight like Red Heart and Mainstays.

      The bulkier yarns are better on the Yarn-A-Round, or use 2 or even 3
      strands of the worsted weight and use them as you would a single
      thread. I have a Yarn-A-Round also and regrettfully found it
      frustrating. I now have a set of Knifty Knitters and really enjoy
      them. I am looking at getting more looms though. lol Can we say I
      am addicted?? If interested in Knifty Knitters and you have a
      Michael's near you, check and see if they have them. They just
      recently dropped their price and the entire set is only $14.99.
      That's 4 looms ranging in sizes.

      > When I made my samples, it was lots of fun. I'm still fuzzy about
      whether
      > you wrap counter clockwise or clockwise and which you do depending
      on
      > whether you are working right to left or left to right. Oh well, I
      guess
      > that will come with practice.

      When wrapping around the peg you are e-wrapping counterclockwise if
      going to the left from the starting peg. If you are going to the
      right of the starter peg, you will e-wrap clockwise. Just make sure
      the cross over point of the yarn is on the inside of each peg. It
      doesn't matter it you go around the loom to the left or the right,
      just keep it consistant.

      > Does anyone know of any freebie patterns on the 'Net to help get me
      > started?

      Decor Accents has some patterns on their site. I know I have seen a
      few others but there isn't a lot out there for the knitting looms. :(

      >..... 'Net such as afghan squares or something.

      Afghan squares on a round loom are either going to be tubular or have
      a definite nice and "not as nice" side to them. If you are looking
      for a fabric that is the same on both sides, look into knitting
      boards. Although round looms are sometimes called rakes or boards,
      what you are looking for is a double set on pegs/pins/nails. The
      following site shows you some boards. No affiliation to the site,
      just gives you some pictures of different gauge boards and an idea of
      what the difference is from you Yarn-A-Round. While there, check out
      their instructions and patterns page. They have some mini movies
      that show some different stitches for both the round looms and boards.

      http://decoraccentsinc.com/kb_styles.html

      > I look forward to being a member here and take care
      everyone! :) :)

      Hope this helps some and I hope you thoroughly enjoy the very
      addictive craft.

      Have a great night,
      Kathleen, in Mobile, AL
    • wendyjolaswell
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 16, 2005
        Hi all!
        I just purpchased da fine looms for socks the other day. I'm very
        excited to make my family socks quicker than I use to or cure the
        lonesome one sock that begs for it's mate illness that can sometimes
        happens. My family is going to comprise of 7 people when the wee
        little one inside decides to show up. We reside in Southern
        California. Well, happy looming!
      • leximade
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 18, 2005
           I'm new here and to looming also.....working on a hat on a large round loom but the stitches look awfully loose to make a hat....hmm
          lexi

          Nutritional healthy solutions from the inside to the outside

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 17, 2005
            Thanks for letting me join your group. My name is Sue and I'm 38. I
            got the knifty knitters for Xmas from my parents. I've made several
            hats, baby booties, a baby sweater and a shrug for my niece. I'm
            enjoying creating projects on looms.
          • morrissettejam
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 8, 2005
              I am new to the round loom, but I have to do something with all the
              yarn I am spinnig. Plan on making some hats but really want to make an
              afghan from the alpaca That I spun. Anything to keep the fuel costs
              down.
              It can get pretty cold here in western MA.
              I am a 60ish lady, still working full time. Have a wonderful husband
              and 4 grown sons and 4 grandchildren. Will definitely be making a few
              gifts for Christmas. Looking forward to learning lots about looming.
              Just finished my first hat last night.

              Judy in MA
            • Rev.Cheryl Szlachetka
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 8, 2005
                Hi Judy and welcome to the group..

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/PTTolB/TM

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                --
                Blessings,
                4plyyarn/Cheryl
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 9, 2005

                  Hi! I'm Lyn. I'm 50, and live in Moab, Utah. I haven't got my first loom yet (it's on its way) but I have a whole herd of online friends who have been making the most wonderful hats and scarves, and I decided I wanted to be able to do that, and more, so I've joined up to see what everyone else is up to with their looms.

                  When I was little I had a toy called a "Spinning Jenny" (I think) that looked like an old-fashioned spinning wheel, but really was a concept similar to the round looms, and made tubes of yard for various craft projects. I loved it, and was sorry such a thing wasn't available when my daughter was that age. She's 14 now, and loves to crochet, and I know when the set of looms arrives, she'll be just as excited to get started as I am.

                  Hope to get to know everyone here, and learn all I can about round looms!

                  ~~ Lyn

                • M. C. Warren
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 9, 2005
                    HI Lyn,
                    I'm new, too.  I'm 55 and I remember the toy that you talked about.  My daughters loved it and this year I found that Wal-Mart had a Sew Easy Knitting Machine by Imagine Nation.  I was so tickled, I immediately bought one for myself and have been playing with it.  Don't know what I'll do with all the 2" tubes but I thought I might stuff one and sew it into a spiral for a lumbar pillow.
                    Chris (SE Ohio)

                    Lyn <butterflye@...> wrote:

                    Hi! I'm Lyn. I'm 50, and live in Moab, Utah. I haven't got my first loom yet (it's on its way) but I have a whole herd of online friends who have been making the most wonderful hats and scarves, and I decided I wanted to be able to do that, and more, so I've joined up to see what everyone else is up to with their looms.

                    When I was little I had a toy called a "Spinning Jenny" (I think) that looked like an old-fashioned spinning wheel, but really was a concept similar to the round looms, and made tubes of yard for various craft projects. I loved it, and was sorry such a thing wasn't available when my daughter was that age. She's 14 now, and loves to crochet, and I know when the set of looms arrives, she'll be just as excited to get started as I am.

                    Hope to get to know everyone here, and learn all I can about round looms!

                    ~~ Lyn

                  • nancy dewitt
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 9, 2005

                      Welcome to the group Lyn,,  I am Nancy from Indiana.. I too haven't worked much with them but love them... I am about to start another scarf myself... my grandaughter wants to learn too.. she just had a baby a few months ago and needs soemthing to do... so will be showing her soon... hugs,  Nancy
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 30, 2005
                        Hi,
                        My name is Lisa in PA and I just joined. I've already picked up so
                        much info from reading the posts, I hope I'll be able to use it! I
                        just started playing with my "knifty knitter" last night, and had the
                        beginnings of a hat. I hope I'll be able to make it work, my daughter
                        already has a request in for one with the new fuzzy yarn. Wish me
                        luck!!
                      • Rev.Cheryl Szlachetka

                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 11, 2006
                            hi all, i've just started knitting on the knifty knitter and so far
                            i've knitted 4 hats, a diaper cover and booties. now i'd like to learn
                            how to make a baby blanket. anyone have a clue? any advice received is
                            sooo appreciated! thanks
                          • Kathy
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 29, 2007
                              Hi, I just joined this group.
                              I have had a set of looms for a while, but have not done much with them yet. hope to do more soon, learn more & find patterns & techniques.
                              Kathryn (Kathy) Morris

                              TV dinner still cooling?
                            • ANGIE
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 16, 2007
                                Hello Everyone,

                                My name is Angie. I live in TN. I am 38 and the mother of 4 children. I have always loved knitting but never could finish anything. I just discovered looms, and boy am I hooked! I have the KK round set as well as the long set, a flower loom and a mitten loom. I have been able to complete a few hats as well as a scarf. Now I have an Afghan panel on the yellow loom. There are so many things that I want to make but dont know where to go next.. lol So I am hoping to learn more from being here. I just bought a slipper pattern and am looking to work that soon. Thanks for having me and I look forward to meeting everyone.

                                Angie
                              • dewittnancy1937
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 18, 2007
                                  Welcome Angie.. this is a great group.. I haven't done much with mine yet either but I have been doing other things tho that has kept me from it.. but I will get going here soon.. enjoy yourself here and when you need to know something someone is always so helpful ... hugs..Nancy from Indiana
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 7, 2009
                                    Hi, I'm new to the group. I've made hats on looms before and maybe a blanket, but would love to learn to make a lot more. I see very few books out there for knitting looms. Is there any sweater patterns for looms out there?
                                     I'm married, and have two kids.
                                    Kathleen
                                  • Lisa
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 15, 2010
                                      Hi.
                                      My name is Lisa and I just joined the group. I have some round looms and have made 2 hats. Once was too small, lol and the other just right.
                                      I want to learn a lot more so I looked up knifty knitters on yahoo groups.
                                    • paula ball
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 15, 2012
                                        I started knitting 3 yrs ago to quit smoking it worked, but this week a friend gave me a kb sock loom and the same day another friend gave me a set of knifty looms round so I thought why not its just another way of knitting and keeping my hands busy.i watched the dvd that came with it and now i know how much i have to learn.  Paula in Az
                                      • lady45band
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Apr 13, 2012
                                          I have just received my roundlooms. I have plenty of 4ply yarns
                                          will that be ok to use. I would like to say thank you for
                                          letting me join the group. I live in the UK.
                                        • denise odaniels
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 15, 2012
                                            welcome lady45band.we are happy to have u.hugs denise

                                            To: ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: lady45band@...
                                            Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 14:03:05 +0000