Re: [ROUNDLOOMS] Newbie with a question

  • Christine Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2004
      Hi Welcome to the group. Yes, I tie the yarn that I begin the hat in a very tight knot, then I cut it off, with a 1/4" tail. When you make a cuff,or brim on the hat, this knot is covered up & if you make the "rolled brim", it is under the rolled area. Just make sure that it's a tight knot, or it could unravel. Chris

      twistedangel_sf <twistedangel_sf@...> wrote:

      Hi everyone.  I just recently purchased a knifty knitter from
      ProvoCraft.  I just knitted my first hat but my question is when you
      begin a hat you wrap your yarn around the peg on the outside to hold
      it in place. What do you do with that yarn when you finish your hat.
      do you just knot it and cut the rest off?  Any help would be greatly
      appreciated.  Thanx

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • twistedangel_sf
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 30, 2004
        Thanx for the tip Kathleen. It really did help me.

        Steph

        --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "xagira500" <kallie500@h...> wrote:

        > Congratulations on making your first hat !! As for what to do with
        > the starting thread? If you do a folded brim ( where you knit for a
        > nice length and then bring the first row of stitches back up and put
        > them on the pegs and knit off, then continue knitting for the body of
        > the hat) you can just tuck that thread inside that fold. If you do a
        > rolled brim? (where you just knit and let the brim area roll on its
        > own) You can tie it off and then weave some of the loose back into
        > the hat itself and cut it close.
        >
        > Others probably have better ways of doing the rolled brim but I have
        > not been looming long and I, personally, really like the folded brim
        > for my hats.
        >
        > Hope this helps anyway and again congratulations on your first of,
        > probably, many hats.
        >
        > Have a great night,
        > Kathleen in Mobile, AL
        >
        > --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "twistedangel_sf"
        > <twistedangel_sf@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > What do you do with that yarn when you finish your hat.
        > > do you just knot it and cut the rest off? Any help would be greatly
        > > appreciated. Thanx
      • Lee Ann Hamm
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2004
          At 12:58 PM 10/29/2004, "twistedangel_sf" wrote:
          >Hi everyone. I just recently purchased a knifty knitter from
          >ProvoCraft. I just knitted my first hat but my question is when you begin
          >a hat you wrap your yarn around the peg on the outside to hold it in
          >place. What do you do with that yarn when you finish your hat. do you just
          >knot it and cut the rest off? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

          I'm way behind on reading my e-mail and hopefully I can help. :)
          I'm also a newbie loom knitter and recently bought a set of the KK looms
          from ProvoCraft.

          It sounds like you are talking about the yarn end at the beginning (what is
          the bottom/brim of the hat).

          What I do is to first of all, make sure that yarn end is at least 8 inches
          long-this is what I do with loose ends on my crochet projects. Then, when
          you are finished loom knitting your hat and have removed it from the loom,
          take a large-eyed yarn sewing needle and sew in that loose end (in fact,
          any of your loose ends), working the yarn back and forth a few times to
          anchor the loose yarn end.

          I don't know if the hat can rip out easily in knitting as it can with
          crochet, but I get the "screaming willies" when I think of a project coming
          unraveled if I don't sew in that yarn end very well. I would smack myself
          thoroughly!

          Also, if you knot it and cut off the rest, it will probably show. You can
          still knot the yarn but by sewing in the end, it helps hide the knotted or
          unknotted loose end.

          Hope this info helps. :)

          George Bush Pillow pattern!
          http://cgli.150m.com/georgebush-pillow.htm

          eBay Auctions!!
          http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=lhamm&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50
        • species710
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 25, 2006
            Hello Everyone,

            I'm new to knitting, about 6 months now I guess.
            I knit with needles and with looms.

            I have a question about flat panel loom knitting.
            When I do a flat panel, I have a problem with
            the yarn/stitches becoming really loose.
            When I do a round piece it's no problem because
            I just pull the slack around the loom until it
            is no longer loose. On a flat panel, due to
            the back and forth knitting, I can not do that.

            Even if my first stitch is tight, the following
            stitches become looser and looser.

            Any advice?
            Thanks,
            Darcy
          • rayannluegge
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
              Once you wrap your new row, do you work the peg closest to your working
              yarn first or Last?

              I find that I have a better time if I start with the peg closest to my
              working yarn first.

              Personally, I find that as I work with my project and get more done, it
              tends to even out. Make sure that you are not getting a finished piece
              of your project pulled back into youcurrent work. I know that it is
              hard to invision what I am describing, but once you've done it, you
              will understand.