I just sent out 8 charity packages

  • Iris
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2003
      Hi Everyone,
      I *just* sent out eight (8) packages to different
      charities who help people in need. I have been loom
      knitting since Spring and through the Summer. I made
      about 48 or so hats and one scarf for charity (scarves
      take *weeks*, to make one scarf, so I mostly make hats
      now). Here are the charities I jsut sent these
      packages out to:
      All Crafts 4 Charity (AC4C) September projects:
      One (1) hat, 1 package of crayons, 1 package of
      toothbrushes, and 1 package of pencils to Bev and her
      daughter Patti at "Bag It". I also (for "Bag It")
      donated ten (10) hats to Passages domestic violence
      shelter and ten (10) hats to New Horizons domestic
      violence shelter, two *local* DV shelters. I also try
      to make warm things for these two local(SW Wisconsin)
      shelters each year. I also sent ten (10) hats to
      Milwaukee Mission (a homeless shelter) and to Pacific
      Garden Mission (a homeless shelter in Chicago).
      I also sent out four (4) baby hats to Carewear,
      another AC4C charity for September.
      ___________________________________________Here are
      *more* hats and one scarf I sent to charities just
      now:
      Two (2) loom knitted hats and one (1) warm scarf,
      which took me three weeks to loom knit, to Santa Train
      charity knit along project.
      One (1) hat to Crossnore Scool (a children's live-in
      school for abandoned, neglected, and abused children
      in North Carolina)
      *******************************************Okay, this
      was a lot of packages! I told the kind lady at the
      Post Office that I am sending the packages to
      charities, and she helped me to get the lowest
      shipping prices (she took the time to weigh and to
      compare parcel post, first class, and Priority Mail
      prices for me. I only do Priority Mail if it is less
      than a dollar's difference between sending it parcel
      post and Priority Mail). I am in a small town, so she
      had more time to help me, than if I lived in a big
      city.
      I am very *happy* to do this, it is also therapeutic
      for me, relaxing to do, and fun, and I thank God that
      I did this and will try to do more over the months
      making mostly warm loom knitted hats (and perhaps a
      couple of scarves) for charity.
      I have enough of my own hats and scarves already made
      for me, and my family has enough hats and scarves from
      me, to keep them warm (they thanked me and told me to
      make the rest for charity).
      Anyway, can you believe this: the loom knitting is a
      good "habit" for me, lol, and I'm making more hats, as
      I can, for charity.

      =====
      Take Care & Stay Safe, Iris
      I enjoy making things for people in need. Please read about it here:
      http://community.webtv.net/Weavergal56/WEAVERGALS

      Iris' Knitting Loom and Knitting Board Hobby Webpage:
      http://community.webtv.net/sari56/IrisKnittingLoomand
      Please don't send any forwards or jokes to me. Thanks.

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • newknitter2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4 7:59 AM
        Hi Iris -

        Wow, what a wonderful thing you are doing for needy people. I have a
        question for you about donating to local charities. How do I go
        about finding local charities in my area? The only donation idea
        that came to me was donating to the needy via the local schools.

        A little info about me: I am new to loom knitting. My first loom is
        an afgan loom (36" oval) and I just odered mitten and hat looms - all
        looms are from The Knitting Loom Company.

        Thanks for your help :o)