Re: [ROUNDLOOMS] Easy Ewrap Purl Stitch

  • Mike & Kay
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 17, 2004
      Could you develop a pattern with flip and non-flip of the e-wrap
      purl?
      Kay in Carlisle

      Lynn Gary wrote:

      > You can also just flip a flat purl stitch over before putting it back on
      > the peg. Voila, e-wrap purl. Once again, be consistent with which way
      > you flip.
      >
      > Lynn
      >

      > On Oct 17, 2004, at 12:41 PM, Carolyn Ranker wrote:
      >
      > Hi,
      > I found an easy way to do the Ewrap purl. Now I can decide which
      > purl I
      > want to choose to use when making items.
      > Ewrap a row and knit off.
      > Next row:
      > You have one Ewrap stitch on each peg or one loop on each peg.
      > Take the loop off the peg you're wanting to use for the purl stitch
      > and put
      > it on the next peg to the right or left--your choice, just make sure
      > you're
      > consistent throughout. Also, if you're doing a flat piece and
      > you're at the
      > end, you will put the loop on the next peg as well. Just be
      > consistent.
      > Anyway, now you have a blank peg because you've taken off the loop
      > from the
      > peg.
      > Wrap yarn around empty peg.
      > Now you have one loop on the peg.
      > Take stitch you put on peg next to it and put atop the loop on peg
      > you just
      > wrapped.
      > Pull bottom loop over that top loop.
      > Pull yarn next to skein and tighten.
      > Both the Ewrap purla nd the flat purl will feel the same.
      > very easy this way.
      > Carolyn
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > <image.tiff>
      > <image.tiff>
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Carolyn Ranker
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 17, 2004
        Jamie, Thank goodness someone else sees the difference between the flat
        stitch purl and the ewrap purl. You definitely Ewrap that blank peg, then
        you put the original stitch back on top. Pull the bottom one over and then
        pull the yarn taut.
        does it make sense?
        Carolyn
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 17, 2004
          When you flip a flat stitch over, that's the flat purl, not the Ewrap purl.
          There were directions in the old Knitting Without Needles group for the
          Ewrap purl. Even though they may look the same, it's a different stitch.
          You do have to Ewrap when making the Ewrap purl. You don't with the flat
          stitch purl. That's why I asked the question yesterday about doing a row of
          Ewraps then the flat purl stitch. I did it today both ways, and there's a
          larger space between rows with the Ewrap knit row then a flat stitch purl.
          If you do both the Ewrap knit, then the Ewrap purl afterwards, you have a
          much closer stitch. Great for warm hats or blankets.
          Carolyn
          > Could you develop a pattern with flip and non-flip of the e-wrap
          > purl?
          > Kay in Carlisle
          >
          > Lynn Gary wrote:
          >
          >> You can also just flip a flat purl stitch over before putting it back on
          >> the peg. Voila, e-wrap purl. Once again, be consistent with which way
          >> you flip.
          >>
          >> Lynn
          >>

          >> On Oct 17, 2004, at 12:41 PM, Carolyn Ranker wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi,
          >> I found an easy way to do the Ewrap purl. Now I can decide which
          >> purl I
          >> want to choose to use when making items.
          >> Ewrap a row and knit off.
          >> Next row:
          >> You have one Ewrap stitch on each peg or one loop on each peg.
          >> Take the loop off the peg you're wanting to use for the purl stitch
          >> and put
          >> it on the next peg to the right or left--your choice, just make sure
          >> you're
          >> consistent throughout. Also, if you're doing a flat piece and
          >> you're at the
          >> end, you will put the loop on the next peg as well. Just be
          >> consistent.
          >> Anyway, now you have a blank peg because you've taken off the loop
          >> from the
          >> peg.
          >> Wrap yarn around empty peg.
          >> Now you have one loop on the peg.
          >> Take stitch you put on peg next to it and put atop the loop on peg
          >> you just
          >> wrapped.
          >> Pull bottom loop over that top loop.
          >> Pull yarn next to skein and tighten.
          >> Both the Ewrap purla nd the flat purl will feel the same.
          >> very easy this way.
          >> Carolyn
          >>

          >> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          >> <image.tiff>
          >> <image.tiff>
          >>
          >> Yahoo! Groups Links
          >>
          >> • To visit your group on the web, go to:
          >>
          >> • To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          >>
          >> • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          >> Service.
          >>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Lynn Gary
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 17, 2004
            The difference between the two purl stitches is just that the e-wrapped
            one is going to make a twisted stitch. I think a pattern using the two
            together would be very subtle, probably almost unnoticeable.

            BTW, a long time ago I created a few little videos and one of them was
            the purl stitch. If you watch that video you'll see that I place the
            purled stitch back on the peg with my fingers. To create an e-wrapped
            purl all you would have to do is turn the stitch over and place it on
            the peg.

            Here's the link:
            http://homepage.mac.com/garyfamily/StitchMovies/iMovieTheater11.html

            Lynn

            On Oct 17, 2004, at 3:02 PM, Mike & Kay wrote:

            > Could you develop a pattern with flip and non-flip of the e-wrap
            > purl?
            > Kay in Carlisle
            >
            > Lynn Gary wrote:
            >
            >> You can also just flip a flat purl stitch over before putting it back
            >> on
            >> the peg. Voila, e-wrap purl. Once again, be consistent with which way
            >> you flip.
            >>
            >> Lynn

          • Lynn Gary
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 17, 2004
              Once you flip the flat purl stitch over you have just twisted your
              stitch thus creating an e-wrapped purl. Trust me on this since I was on
              of the individuals who posted directions for the e-wrapped purl stitch
              a long time ago on the old Knitting Without Needles list. I used to do
              it just as you described it until I discovered that turning the stitch
              over produced the same result. It really doesn't matter if you e-wrap
              it before or twist it after, you're actually making the yarn do the
              same thing.

              Lynn

              On Oct 17, 2004, at 6:45 PM, Carolyn Ranker wrote:

              > When you flip a flat stitch over, that's the flat purl, not the Ewrap
              > purl.
              > There were directions in the old Knitting Without Needles group for the
              > Ewrap purl. Even though they may look the same, it's a different
              > stitch.
              > You do have to Ewrap when making the Ewrap purl. You don't with the
              > flat
              > stitch purl. That's why I asked the question yesterday about doing a
              > row of
              > Ewraps then the flat purl stitch. I did it today both ways, and
              > there's a
              > larger space between rows with the Ewrap knit row then a flat stitch
              > purl.
              > If you do both the Ewrap knit, then the Ewrap purl afterwards, you
              > have a
              > much closer stitch. Great for warm hats or blankets.
              > Carolyn

              >>> from the
              >>> peg.
              >>> Wrap yarn around empty peg.
              >>> Now you have one loop on the peg.
              >>> Take stitch you put on peg next to it and put atop the loop on
              >>> peg
              >>> you just
              >>> wrapped.
              >>> Pull bottom loop over that top loop.
              >>> Pull yarn next to skein and tighten.
              >>> Both the Ewrap purla nd the flat purl will feel the same.
              >>> very easy this way.
              >>> Carolyn
              >>>

              >>> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              >>> <image.tiff>
              >>> <image.tiff>
              >>>
              >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
              >>>
              >>> • To visit your group on the web, go to:
              >>>
              >>> • To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              >>>
              >>> • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              >>> Service.
              >>>

              >> Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Jamie Prater
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 17, 2004
                Hey, I think so. When you put it on top, do you actually pull one loop
                through the other, right up against the groove and hang onto the newly
                formed loop and pop the other one off, fit the other on, and pull tight?
                Does this make sense? Thanks.
                > Jamie, Thank goodness someone else sees the difference between the flat
                > stitch purl and the ewrap purl. You definitely Ewrap that blank peg, then
                > you put the original stitch back on top. Pull the bottom one over and
                then
                > pull the yarn taut.
                > does it make sense?
                > Carolyn

              • Carolyn Ranker
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 17, 2004
                  Lynn, Turning the stitch over sure makes it a lot easier. What you say
                  makes sense and thanks a lot.
                  Blessings,
                  Carolyn
                  > The difference between the two purl stitches is just that the e-wrapped
                  > one is going to make a twisted stitch. I think a pattern using the two
                  > together would be very subtle, probably almost unnoticeable.
                  >
                  > BTW, a long time ago I created a few little videos and one of them was
                  > the purl stitch. If you watch that video you'll see that I place the
                  > purled stitch back on the peg with my fingers. To create an e-wrapped
                  > purl all you would have to do is turn the stitch over and place it on
                  > the peg.
                  >
                  > Here's the link:
                  > http://homepage.mac.com/garyfamily/StitchMovies/iMovieTheater11.html
                  >
                  > Lynn
                  >

                  > On Oct 17, 2004, at 3:02 PM, Mike & Kay wrote:
                  >

                  >> Could you develop a pattern with flip and non-flip of the e-wrap
                  >> purl?
                  >> Kay in Carlisle
                  >>
                  >> Lynn Gary wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> You can also just flip a flat purl stitch over before putting it back
                  >>> on
                  >>> the peg. Voila, e-wrap purl. Once again, be consistent with which way
                  >>> you flip.
                  >>>
                  >>> Lynn
                  >>>

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Carolyn Ranker
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 17, 2004
                    Well, keep reading the messages and Lynn's is an easier way than what I
                    wrote. Just do the flat purl, turn the stitch over and you have an Ewrap
                    purl.
                    Carolyn
                    > Hey, I think so. When you put it on top, do you actually pull one loop
                    > through the other, right up against the groove and hang onto the newly
                    > formed loop and pop the other one off, fit the other on, and pull tight?
                    > Does this make sense? Thanks.

                  • Shirley Baker
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 17, 2004
                      Carolyn, are you saying once you wrap the blank peg, you take the new loop
                      and put it into the hole of the stitch you put either on the left or right
                      peg or pull it up over it? Thought you said on the phone you put it into
                      the old loop and that is what I do. I put that new stitch into the hole of
                      the old stitch, and then the new one ends up being on the peg. Tell me if
                      this is what you are saying. Oh, and the row you knit before the purl row,
                      is that the flat stitch knit or e-wrap knit?
                      Shirley
                      > I found an easy way to do the Ewrap purl. Now I can decide which purl I
                      > want to choose to use when making items.
                      > Ewrap a row and knit off.
                      > Next row:
                      > You have one Ewrap stitch on each peg or one loop on each peg.
                      > Take the loop off the peg you're wanting to use for the purl stitch and
                      put
                      > it on the next peg to the right or left--your choice, just make sure
                      you're
                      > consistent throughout. Also, if you're doing a flat piece and you're at
                      the
                      > end, you will put the loop on the next peg as well. Just be consistent.
                      > Anyway, now you have a blank peg because you've taken off the loop from
                      the
                      > peg.
                      > Wrap yarn around empty peg.
                      > Now you have one loop on the peg.
                      > Take stitch you put on peg next to it and put atop the loop on peg you
                      just
                      > wrapped.
                      > Pull bottom loop over that top loop.
                      > Pull yarn next to skein and tighten.
                      > Both the Ewrap purla nd the flat purl will feel the same.
                      > very easy this way.
                      > Carolyn
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Shirley Baker
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 17, 2004
                        What is the Europe purl and Europe knit? Is that what you are calling the
                        flat purl and flat stitch, or are those called E-wrap stitch? Guess the E
                        stands for Europe?
                        Shirley
                        > When you flip a flat stitch over, that's the flat purl, not the Ewrap
                        purl.
                        > There were directions in the old Knitting Without Needles group for the
                        > Ewrap purl. Even though they may look the same, it's a different stitch.
                        > You do have to Ewrap when making the Ewrap purl. You don't with the flat
                        > stitch purl. That's why I asked the question yesterday about doing a row
                        of
                        > Ewraps then the flat purl stitch. I did it today both ways, and there's a
                        > larger space between rows with the Ewrap knit row then a flat stitch purl.
                        > If you do both the Ewrap knit, then the Ewrap purl afterwards, you have a
                        > much closer stitch. Great for warm hats or blankets.
                        > Carolyn

                      • Shirley Baker
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 17, 2004
                          When you say pull it over, it's just like you were doing the one over one?
                          I thought you were supposed to put it into the hole there and not flip it
                          off? That is what I was told before.
                          Shirley
                          > Jamie, Thank goodness someone else sees the difference between the flat
                          > stitch purl and the ewrap purl. You definitely Ewrap that blank peg, then
                          > you put the original stitch back on top. Pull the bottom one over and
                          then
                          > pull the yarn taut.
                          > does it make sense?
                          > Carolyn

                        • Carolyn Ranker
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 18, 2004
                            No, I'm saying once you wrap the blank peg, you put the stitch you put on
                            the peg beside it back on the post where the new peg is. This means you
                            have two loops now on your peg. The bottom one is the stitch you just
                            ewrapped on the peg and the top one is the original stitch that was on the
                            peg, technically from the previous row. Then you lift the bottom peg over
                            the top one.
                            Carolyn