Supporting our troops

  • ROGERS
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 29, 2005
      and the http://starsandstripescrochetandcrafts.com contact Lois/list owner at lbowenj2@....  Both of these groups knit, crochet and sew hats, and both sew cool ties in the summer, and found out they make great hand warmers in the winter.  You don't need to know how to do anything, if only you can send a card or letter, it is greatly appreciated.  My AF daughter just returned from Iraq, (stationed with a hospital in Balad), and she was amazed at the difference a 'care package' from strangers did for the morale of our troops.  Even a letter or card brought tears to the eyes of men and women who get little or nothing from home.....hard to believe, but it's true.  The Stars&Stripes group also has several outreach programs for helping the kids and spouses at home.  They just shipped thousands of Christmas trees with ornaments from all over the US and several other supporting countries  to troops to bring a little bit of 'home' to them for the holidays. And the HUGS PROJECT was recently recognized by the National VFW Ladies Auxilary.   Both of these groups are a caring, loving group of people that plan on supporting the troops no matter how long it takes. No politics involved, just sending a little comfort to our 'kids'...........average age is 19 ! ! !  Any help you can provide will make some soldier know we are there to support them.  If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help you out.
      Cara in SE Wisconsin........Proud AF mom

      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 29, 2005
        I am on the SoS one and LOVE it....We adopted a family that their Dad went to Iraq 7 weeks ago.  @ lovely boys and my family is having a ball writing to the children and the Mom.  It is really rewarding and fun to see them coming home and heart breaking as they leave.  It's an awseome group of people.  ANother great group not just for service people is ONLINE ANGELS.  A yahoo group as well.  They send to many charities and are another awesome bunch.  WE just had a blitz weekend making hats, booties etc and I was able to make 14 newborn hats on the loom and get to know that this offical charity sends to nicu hospitals that desperately need the items.

        Jenn

        Jenn P
        Eugene Oregon
        We are all God's Children

        Knifty Knitter Exchange
        More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kniftyknittingex/

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Pam
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 29, 2005
          --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, Jenn Perry <trgjenna@y...> wrote:
          >I found this group in order to learn and share patterns about
          looming not to discuss my politics or my religion with anyone. I am
          deeply offended by this attack on myself and the so called "liberal
          media" it is unfortunate that you just lost a member due to people
          being completely insensitive and intolerant to others. I will NEVER
          visit this group again and will encourage others to do the same
          .
          > I am on the SoS one and LOVE it....We adopted a family that their
          Dad went to Iraq 7 weeks ago. @ lovely boys and my family is having
          a ball writing to the children and the Mom. It is really rewarding
          and fun to see them coming home and heart breaking as they leave.
          It's an awseome group of people. ANother great group not just for
          service people is ONLINE ANGELS. A yahoo group as well. They send
          to many charities and are another awesome bunch. WE just had a
          blitz weekend making hats, booties etc and I was able to make 14
          newborn hats on the loom and get to know that this offical charity
          sends to nicu hospitals that desperately need the items.

          > Jenn
          >

          > Jenn P
          > Eugene Oregon
          > We are all God's Children
          >
          > Knifty Knitter Exchange
          > More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kniftyknittingex/
          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Katrina
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 29, 2005
            Huh?

            Who said anything political? I'm lost here....not sure how supporting
            the men and women forced to be over there is offensive to
            anyone....anyone else?

            > --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, Jenn Perry <trgjenna@y...> wrote:
            > >I found this group in order to learn and share patterns about
            > looming not to discuss my politics or my religion with anyone. I am
            > deeply offended by this attack on myself and the so called "liberal
            > media" it is unfortunate that you just lost a member due to people
            > being completely insensitive and intolerant to others. I will NEVER
            > visit this group again and will encourage others to do the same
            > .
          • Carolyn Lancaster
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 29, 2005
              I'm with you, I am lost too.  And I think we all support our troops.  But maybe some don't.  Anyway I wouldn't worry about it, it is their loss, not ours.  Carolyn

              Who said anything political?  I'm lost here....not sure how supporting
              the men and women forced to be over there is offensive to
              anyone....anyone else?

              > --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, Jenn Perry <trgjenna@y...> wrote:
              > >I found this group in order to learn and share patterns about
              > looming not to discuss my politics or my religion with anyone. I am
              > deeply offended by this attack on myself and the so called "liberal
              > media" it is unfortunate that you just lost a member due to people
              > being completely insensitive and intolerant to others. I will NEVER
              > visit this group again and will encourage others to do the same
              > .

            • The Christiansens
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 29, 2005
                In my experience, having been a member of many Yahoo groups over the
                years, any mention of religion or politics causes trouble. Therefore
                it is best to stay off those topics, IMO. (Unless, of course, it is a
                "religion" or "politics" list).

                Denise

                On Nov 29, 2005, at 5:23 PM, Carolyn Lancaster wrote:

                > I'm with you, I am lost too.  And I think we all support our troops.
                > But maybe some don't.  Anyway I wouldn't worry about it, it is their
                > loss, not ours.  Carolyn
              • Mary Grondski
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 29, 2005

                  No clue here either, but yet, our troops defending us give her the right to speak her mind.

                  Ah well, such is life, you can’t please em all

                  Who said anything political?  I'm lost here....not sure how supporting
                  the men and women forced to be over there is offensive to
                  anyone....anyone else?

                  > --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com , Jenn Perry <trgjenna@y...> wrote:
                  > >I found this group in order to learn and share patterns about
                  > looming not to discuss my politics or my religion with anyone. I am
                  > deeply offended by this attack on myself and the so called "liberal
                  > media" it is unfortunate that you just lost a member due to people
                  > being completely insensitive and intolerant to others. I will NEVER
                  > visit this group again and will encourage others to do the same
                  > .

                • Mary Jeanne
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 29, 2005
                    Wow helping give loving support to a family who has a member gone
                    from their lives, even temporarly, and making stuff for charity and
                    hospitals. You are a busy lady.

                    MaryJeanne

                    --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, Jenn Perry <trgjenna@y...> wrote:

                    > I am on the SoS one and LOVE it....We adopted a family that their
                    Dad went to Iraq 7 weeks ago. @ lovely boys and my family is having
                    a ball writing to the children and the Mom. It is really rewarding
                    and fun to see them coming home and heart breaking as they leave.
                    It's an awseome group of people. ANother great group not just for
                    service people is ONLINE ANGELS. A yahoo group as well. They send
                    to many charities and are another awesome bunch. WE just had a
                    blitz weekend making hats, booties etc and I was able to make 14
                    newborn hats on the loom and get to know that this offical charity
                    sends to nicu hospitals that desperately need the items.

                    > Jenn
                    >

                    > Jenn P
                    > Eugene Oregon
                    > We are all God's Children
                    >
                    > Knifty Knitter Exchange
                    > More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kniftyknittingex/
                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Katrina
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 29, 2005
                      Hey Jenn,

                      Can you tell us more about the nicu donation group. What size loom do
                      you make the hats on? Do you suggest one type of yarn over another?
                      I realize it would need to be machine washable and stuff, no wool, and
                      soft as possible. I would like to help. My youngest was in the nicu
                      for a while after he was born and it was so hard seeing those little
                      babies in there (mine was in much better condition than some).

                      Katrina
                    • Jenn Perry
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 29, 2005
                        Did I do something wrong??? I just responded and I didn't attack anyone.  But my response is the one Pam responded to and I am in tears thinking I did something wrong.

                        If I need to be removed I understand I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 29, 2005
                          You didn't do anything wrong! I have reread and reread those
                          posts....and i just don't get it.

                          I think that she was offended by my comment that often times civilians
                          don't remember the military spouses and children. All I can guess is
                          that she thought "civilians" meant liberals. It doesn't, of course,
                          it means anyone who is not part of the military. And all I meant by
                          it was that we often hear about those saying how hard it is for the
                          military members to be in the war....and while it is (I'm not trying
                          to say that it isn't horrible to be there) it also very hard to be the
                          one who has to go on like life is normal at home. Lots of these
                          spouses are dealing with sick and disabled kids, financial hardships,
                          etc. that most civilians don't realize. Not to mention kids who don't
                          understand why mommy and daddy aren't at home. I just thought I would
                          point it out so that people who want to contribute might remember the
                          family members too.

                          I don't see how any of this is politcally based in ANY way. Our
                          feelings on war have nothing to do with the plain fact that families
                          are affected by this war. I think part of the post was due to
                          misinterpreting the previous posts (as it is sometimes easy to do
                          online) and part ignorance that those who are in the military have the
                          choice to go to war. Thereby, believing all of those who support the
                          military members support the war. Which we all know is NOT true.

                          Don't leave Jen! Just blow it off and let's all get back to knitting!!

                          :)
                        • Jenn Perry
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 29, 2005
                            TY Mary Jeanne...I have been basically house bound now for almost a month with bronchial pneumonia and I also am having a MS flare up.  Makes it tough but this keeps me busy and out of trouble LOL

                            Jenn

                            Jenn P
                            Eugene Oregon
                            We are all God's Children

                            Knifty Knitter Exchange
                            More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kniftyknittingex/

                            Yahoo! Personals
                          • mom basaca
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 29, 2005
                              om groups like this there are lots of personalities...jenn your heart was in the right place...don't leave..I just joined today...my hubby just redeployed this sunday..I am thankful we got to spend thanksgiving day together...But I for one can definitely relate to what you wrote about us that are left behind on the homefront....sincerely tyra
                              ps...thanks for remembering us and trying to let others know that we too exist.

                              On 11/29/05, Katrina <elmuyloco5@...> wrote:
[...]

                              Knitting yarn Knitting Knitting book
                              Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts Knifty knitter

                              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                              --
                              "God never asked us to be perfect, just faithful"
                                               Mother Theresa
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 29, 2005
                                I can't remember if I posted a pic of the ones I make but I will after I finish these emails LOL 60 more to go.....anyway I use the blue loom with 2 strands bernatSofteebaby.  I do one over one for 12 rows to make brim then to make it snug warm I do one over 2 for 22 rows.  Then knot off and add the pompom on top I will privately email you the info on Online ANgels

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 29, 2005
                                    My prayers will be with you Tyra. It's always the hardest during the
                                    holidays. If you ever need to chat, let me know. I'll be happy to
                                    lend an ear. :)

                                    Katrina
                                  • Katrina
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 29, 2005
                                      *hugs*

                                      I hope you feel better! I'll say some prayers for you tonight too!!
                                      Get some good rest!

                                      Katrina
                                    • mom basaca
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 30, 2005
                                        thanks katrina...same to you if you ever want to chat..and yes...the
                                        holidays are th hardest...big time...thanks for caring.

                                        --
                                        "God never asked us to be perfect, just faithful"
                                        Mother Theresa
                                      • Sandy
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 30, 2005
                                          I have a grand idea.  Lets get on with what we believe in personally and get back to doing the loom thing!  I'm still totally hooked and have a ton to learn.
                                          Sandy
                                          Riddle, OR
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 30, 2005
                                            It may just be that she was feeling that by not supporting the war
                                            people viewed her as not supporting the troops.

                                            Too often people who are against the war in Iraq are accused of not
                                            caring about the welfare of the troops... and their families.

                                            This is totally not the case. Almost everyone opposing the war
                                            supports the troops... they just want them home... home and safe...
                                            with their families. Not supporting a war that they feel is
                                            unjust. I support the troops... I do not support what we are doing
                                            in Iraq. This doesn't make me unpatriotic. I feel pain each time I
                                            hear yet another solider lost his life. I think of his or her
                                            family. Can you imagine how it feels for someone who's watching
                                            people die and feels they are dying in vain. People like me feel
                                            that what we're doing in Iraq isn't related to 9/11.

                                            Everyone has a right to their opinion... pro or anti war. The member
                                            who left was just was fed up with off topic postings that bothered
                                            her. Perhaps a way to prevent this from happening again is to post
                                            a heading of off-topic or OT before the subject line of postings
                                            that aren't related to looming. This way people who are only here
                                            to discuss looming will know which posts to pass over.

                                            Another subject I'm going to address is her raising the religion
                                            topic. She may not be Christian... perhaps not even religious...
                                            and hearing people discussing praying for people... or constantly
                                            seeing religious taglines might get bothersome to her. The prayer
                                            issue could be taken care of by once again adding the off topic
                                            heading before posts. The religious taglines are a personal
                                            decision... are something that should just be ignored if the person
                                            is uncomfortable with them.

                                            I do want to ask though... since it's ok for people to say they are
                                            praying for someone... and it's ok to have blatant Christian
                                            taglines... would people get offended if someone had a tagline that
                                            indicated a religion other than Christianity? If I had a tagline
                                            indicating the fact I'm a pagan... would I have to hear complaints?

                                            If when someone asked for prayers for a sick friend/loved one and I
                                            indicated that I would light a candle to my gods... or ask my gods
                                            to send blessings... would people be offended?

                                            If the answer to these questions is no... then there's no problem.
                                            But if people who are Christian would feel offended by such non-
                                            Christian references... then it's not fair for non-Christians to be
                                            expected to put up with blatant Christian references. After all..
                                            it's something like 1 in 4 people in the US who are NOT Christians.
                                            We all can get along.... but tolerance needs to go all ways.
                                          • Katrina
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 30, 2005
                                              I agree with what you said.

                                              First though....the messages that she was referring to all had OT
                                              infront of them. She had the choice to not read them. I honestly
                                              feel if she was truly offended by them, she should have spokent o the
                                              groups moderators about making a "no off-topic" policy.

                                              Secondly, I feel everyone has the right to mention praying, or not, in
                                              their messages. By replying that you are going to say prayers for
                                              someone in no way is pressuring your religion on them or anyone else.
                                              What difference would it make to an atheist if I chose to pray for
                                              them? (or a person of a different religion...which by the way....no
                                              specific religions were mentioned. We only said the word pray....I'm
                                              pretty sure it's safe to say that almost all religions pray to someone
                                              or another)? I'm not asking them to pray or to alter their views in
                                              any way. I respect all people and all relgious beliefs. I may not
                                              agree with them, but everyone is entitled to their choice. Religious
                                              tolerance goes both ways. I would have no problem with any tag line
                                              (as long as it's not vulgar or pornagraphic...as this should be a site
                                              safe for kids to read). Everyone has the choice to read, or not read
                                              something. I don't read all posts on here or any other group I belong
                                              to. I pick the ones that I'm interested in. She clearly wanted to
                                              read the message and find a reason to voice her opinion. Again, she
                                              should have contacted the site managers before acting the way she did.
                                              We are all adults here and could have solved this like adults.

                                              I think we could all agree that if OT conversations offend the
                                              majority, we can steer clear of them.

                                              I think this is really getting draw out more than it should. Let's
                                              just get back to knitting, whatever our causes are.
                                            • muzzle_velocity
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 30, 2005
                                                > After all.. it's something like 1 in 4 people in the US who are NOT
                                                Christians. We all can get along.... but tolerance needs to go all ways.

                                                I've been watching this issue without comment, but I will put in my
                                                two cents just because I love this group and I don't want to see us
                                                end up with any sort of a "mess" on our hands here as I've seen at
                                                other groups.

                                                First, as to the poster who got all riled up - there's at least one of
                                                them at every group, who knows, maybe she just had a really bad day -
                                                what ever the case, best to just let it wash off our backs like ducks.

                                                Second, most folks DO put OT on their messages if it's off topic. I
                                                for one LIKE a group where MOST of the talk is about the subject but
                                                where we CAN have an occassional discussion about something else if we
                                                want to. It makes for a more personal and friendly environment in my
                                                opinion. If I just wanted cut and dry information about looming I'd
                                                go buy books and watch online videos.

                                                And last, but not least - I too am Pagan, and I completely agree - we
                                                can all get along so long as we all respect each others right to
                                                believe as we choose and to have our own opinions.

                                                So let's all just let this go and knit on <(^o^)>

                                                Gail
                                              • (loomy) Julie
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 30, 2005

                                                  I must have missed something...as I don't see anything that would be attacking in the statement below yours....you don't have to leave just because some disagrees with you or you with them...that is what makes the world go round....and in messages groups...I find the delete key one of the best things to use when I don't agree with something or someone.  I hope you do stay and learn & share like you intended.

                                                  (Loomy)JulieShawano/WI
                                                  My Yahoo Photos: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jbg1760/album

                                                  >I found this group in order to learn and share patterns about
                                                  looming not to discuss my politics or my religion with anyone. I am
                                                  deeply offended by this attack on myself and the so called "liberal
                                                  media" it is unfortunate that you just lost a member due to people
                                                  being completely insensitive and intolerant to others. I will NEVER
                                                  visit this group again and will encourage others to do the same
                                                  ..
                                                  > I am on the SoS one and LOVE it....We adopted a family that their
                                                  Dad went to Iraq 7 weeks ago.  @ lovely boys and my family is having
                                                  a ball writing to the children and the Mom.  It is really rewarding
                                                  and fun to see them coming home and heart breaking as they leave.
                                                  It's an awseome group of people.  ANother great group not just for
                                                  service people is ONLINE ANGELS.  A yahoo group as well.  They send
                                                  to many charities and are another awesome bunch.  WE just had a
                                                  blitz weekend making hats, booties etc and I was able to make 14
                                                  newborn hats on the loom and get to know that this offical charity
                                                  sends to nicu hospitals that desperately need the items.

                                                  >   Jenn
                                                  >

                                                  > Jenn P
                                                  > Eugene Oregon
                                                  > We are all God's Children
                                                  >
                                                  > Knifty Knitter Exchange
                                                  > More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kniftyknittingex/
                                                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                                  KarensKollections
                                                  Font/PayzantPen
                                                • mom basaca
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 30, 2005
                                                    you know what...I totally understand your post...and totally agree with what you said...hey...that is what the freedom of speech is for...some people just go overboard...hey, if someone doesn't like a movie they change the channel..same here...and it was clearly listed off topic...so I don't think there is anything wrong with that...and for a moderator to say no ot...that would be wrong too.
                                                        If you open a post that says OT..then that is the chance you choose to take...that you were might be reading something you don't agree with...obviously OT  means it is not about knitting or looming...
                                                         And no...in no way do I construe that post to be trying to ask someone to alter thier religious view points..a peson has the right to say...I am praying for you...and the other person has the right to say...oh no I am atheistist...(however you spell that)  I don't want you to pray for me...and then enough said...the othe person will just not pray for them...but no one has tthe right to tell another what to say...so If OT means off topic...and you don't want to run the chance of reading something that has nothing to do with looming...that might go against what you believe in...then don't open the post...
                                                      I for one  would be truly disappointed if due to this person's reaction..off topic conversations would be taken off of the list..and that we would not be able to post...if that happens  then that person  still got to infringe on the other persons freedom of speech.  it wasn't pornographic..it didn't make the site unfriendly to children....

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Nov 30, 2005
                                                      I agree, I don't see anything wrong with OT either....I was just
                                                      trying to figure out a way to make everyone happy. Hopeless vernture,
                                                      I suppose, eh?

                                                      :)
                                                    • mom basaca

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Nov 30, 2005
                                                          Tyra:

                                                          I'm going to tryt o explain what I do...so bear with me.

                                                          When I wrap each peg with the "e" shape, I then hold the yarn with my
                                                          thumb as I wrap the next peg. This helps hold the previous one's
                                                          tension so that they don't get too tight. Also, be careful not to
                                                          accidentially grab a strand of the yarn loop that has to stay ont he
                                                          peg as I've had that make my stitches get tighter and tighter too. I
                                                          know it seems obvious, but on some of the yarns it's not so easier to
                                                          discern where the yarn loops end and where they begin.

                                                          I'll need your pointers on the rect. one. I'm waiting for my mom to
                                                          ship mine to me (nothing's available on this island). I was looking
                                                          forward to getting a square and hexagon one, but the store is all out :(

                                                          Katrina
                                                        • Katrina
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Nov 30, 2005
                                                            > When I wrap each peg with the "e" shape, I then hold the yarn with my
                                                            > thumb as I wrap the next peg. \

                                                            I should have said that I hold the yarn with my thumb against the
                                                            loom. It may feel awkward at first, but once you get the hang of it,
                                                            you can get really fast.

                                                            By the way, a lovely lady on one of the forums has made a double rake
                                                            that's 60 inches long for under $10!!! I saw that you wanted to
                                                            afgans and such, so I thought you might be interested.

                                                          • Jenn Perry
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005
                                                              Thanks everyone for their support I never intended to make anyone angry as I do not post my feelings towards the war at all or my religion either as I know these topics cause a TON of conflict.  I plan on staying as I am having too much fun learning and chatting.  I do believe in supporting those in need.

                                                              HUGS!!!!