From Iris

  • Iris
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2003
      Hi. It's Iris.
      I am still loom knitting hats for charity. Each time I
      pick new colors of yarn and it is so much fun to put
      the colors together to make the warm hats! In Late
      Fall and Winter, I know that people in need (different
      ages and sizes) will be warmer.
      I mostly use the Single Stitch and knit DOUBLE the
      length of the finished hat. For example if it takes 25
      single stitches to make a child's hat, I knit 50
      stitches and then I fold up the beginning 25 stitches
      up through the inside of the loom, placing the first
      row onto the top of the pegs (the first row becomes
      the "top wrapped loops") exactly as making a cuff, but
      the entire hat is the "cuff". I knit that row off.
      Then I knit (single stitch--one row over one row)
      about two more rows and then tie off and finish the
      hat as for any other hats. This makes a nice, warm
      double knitted hat. But be careful as to the weight of
      the yarn. It is best to use two strands of worsted
      weight yarn as one strand. I tried with more strands,
      and the hat was too thick. So I think one chunky
      weight and one sport weight may work well also. But
      the ideal is to use the two worsted weight yarn
      strands as one strand (unless your loom has a thinner,
      smaller guage) for a nice and warm, double knitted
      hat.
      When it was cold outside in March (I live in SW
      Wisconsin), I made myself a hat like the above (double
      thick) to test it out, and also I needed and wanted a
      (red/white/blue yarn) hat.It was so very warm to wear!
      So now most of my hats are made like this.
      For more about knitting on knitting looms and
      knitting boards (also called knitting rakes), please
      go to my "Iris' Knitting Loom and Knitting Board
      Hobby" page, below, and click on the link there (in my
      signature line). I love this hobby! Plus ,I love
      making things for people in need.

      =====
      Take Care & Stay Safe, Iris
      I enjoy making things for people in need. Please read about it here:
      http://community.webtv.net/Weavergal56/WEAVERGALS

      Iris' Knitting Loom and Knitting Board Hobby Webpage:
      http://community.webtv.net/sari56/IrisKnittingLoomand
      Please don't send any forwards or jokes to me. Thanks.

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Iris
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 25, 2003
        Hi. I have been reading the new and excellent In The
        Attic loom knitting instruction book (it will help
        with my charity crafting), and I am learning *new*
        ways to loom knit by reading it. I also have Cindy
        Alberts' (The Knitting Loom Company) loom knitting
        pattern book which is excellent also. For more
        information about these pattern books (I am NOT
        affiliated with the companies who make them--I just
        love to read them) and loom knitting in general,
        please go to my "Iris' Knitting Loom and Knitting
        Board Hobby" page (instead of e-mailing me
        privately--thanks). There are great loom knitting
        LINKS on my page with lots of excellent information
        about loom knitting (more than I alone can ever
        explain about).
        I also thank Everyone who puts loom knitting patterns
        on The Web, for people's personal use.
        So between daily living and making more hats on my
        looms for charity, that is what has been going on with
        me.
        Keep up the great crafting (ALL kinds of crafting),
        Everyone!
        I notice that the e-mail lists are more quiet. I
        imagine many people are busy with their crafts and
        their daily living.

        =====
        Take Care & Stay Safe, Iris
        I enjoy making things for people in need. Please read about it here:
        http://community.webtv.net/Weavergal56/WEAVERGALS

        Iris' Knitting Loom and Knitting Board Hobby Webpage:
        http://community.webtv.net/sari56/IrisKnittingLoomand
        Please don't send any forwards or jokes to me. Thanks.

      • SD
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 25, 2003
          Yes you are an inspiration to me!
          -sue

          Iris wrote:

          > Hi. I have been reading the new and excellent In The
          > Attic loom knitting instruction book (it will help
          > with my charity crafting), and I am learning *new*
          > ways to loom knit by reading it. I also have Cindy
          > Alberts' (The Knitting Loom Company) loom knitting
          > pattern book which is excellent also. For more
          > information about these pattern books (I am NOT
          > affiliated with the companies who make them--I just
          > love to read them) and loom knitting in general,
          > please go to my "Iris' Knitting Loom and Knitting
          > Board Hobby" page (instead of e-mailing me
          > privately--thanks). There are great loom knitting
          > LINKS on my page with lots of excellent information
          > about loom knitting (more than I alone can ever
          > explain about).
          > I also thank Everyone who puts loom knitting patterns
          > on The Web, for people's personal use.
          > So between daily living and making more hats on my
          > looms for charity, that is what has been going on with
          > me.
          > Keep up the great crafting (ALL kinds of crafting),
          > Everyone!
          > I notice that the e-mail lists are more quiet. I
          > imagine many people are busy with their crafts and
          > their daily living.
          >
          > =====
          > Take Care & Stay Safe, Iris
          > I enjoy making things for people in need. Please read about it here:
          > http://community.webtv.net/Weavergal56/WEAVERGALS
          >
          > Iris' Knitting Loom and Knitting Board Hobby Webpage:
          > http://community.webtv.net/sari56/IrisKnittingLoomand
          > Please don't send any forwards or jokes to me. Thanks.

          -Sue Darnell
          (mexican_gifts)
          http://www.stores.ebay.com/mexicansilverandstuff