Rake Loom?

  • e_fors2000
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2004
      I recently purchased a rake loom from Provo craft-it had no
      instructions. I also bought their round looms and can do the basic
      hat but no idea on any other stitches. How to purl etc. HELP!
      Please. I live 120 miles from a town so I have no resource to draw
      from but you folk.
      Thanks-Ellen
    • JeanTownsend
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2004
        purling
        to do a regular knit stitch you wrap the new stitch on top of the one that is already wrapped
        the old one will be on bottom the new one on top
        but to purl
        scoot the stitch already wrapped on the peg up
        wrap the new stitch 'under' the one already wrapped , reach down through the old wrap stitch
        pull up a new loop, pull up a long one so it won't just come loose.
        now flick off the old stitch from the peg, and now rehang the brand new loop.
        do it one stitch at a time, this does not work real well if you try to wrap the whole row at one time.
        here is a link to stitch movies for about 6 stitches.
        you can also try different combinations of stitches.
        the one usually used is 1 strand over 1 strand.
        try wrapping 3 rows, now take bottom 1 over other 2, wrap 1 more row, again take bottom 1 over other 2.
        1 over 2,
        it makes a dense close knit fabric.
      • Darlisa Riggs
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 14, 2004
          Jean, thank you for these instructions and link to the videos. I've
          been trying to find instructions on what the difference is between
          purl and knit and this is what I needed. I can't view the videos here
          at work, but will do so as soon as I get home.

          Will these stitches work the same on round looms?

          -darlisa

          http://www.fignations.com
        • JeanTownsend
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 14, 2004
            yes same on round as straight
            to knit, you wrap an e stitch all the way around the loom, now wrap e all the way around again, flip bottom stitch over the top of the top, second wrap stitch and off
            to purl, you wrap one whole row or e stitches, but for the second row, wrap one stitch at a time, do not wrap this stitch on top of first st

            for knit
            the first stitch wrapped is closest to the loom not the end of the peg
            the second stitch wrapped is closest to the end of the peg

            to purl
            the first stitch is wrapped towards the tip of the peg
            the second stitch is now wrapped closest to the loom
            reach down through the first stitch, pull up a loop, a long loop so you wont lose it, flick the first wrap off of the peg, now rehang the long loop and pull up extra end to tighten.

            the difference is that one goes over, one goes under
            i have some jpegs of the movies that shows the way to do it, if the movies don't show you write back and i will help more