Pauline-new

  • shreiman
    Message 1 of 8 , May 23, 2004
      I am new-Pauline-live in Ferndale. Anyone live near me? I have a
      question. I just bought a loom (long one) and wonder 1st. How do you
      change colors? And I also assume that once you start a project you
      are stuck on the loom ontil you finish it. Thanks, Pauline
    • Jeanie Townsend
      Message 3 of 8 , May 24, 2004
        I sent some links for just about everything with looms. I meant to send it to pauline. It is headed for the whole group. I am not sure the links will be hot still when it publishes. I have been to each and every one of those links and they have wonderful information. I found a much easier way to make the purl stitch on the loom and did a great washcloth with ribbing and fancy stitches.
        I also found a great one for making a denser fabric with just one strand of yarn.
        My mom has finished over 175 hats now since the middle of january. She has a lovely wooden set of looms and also some plastic ones both round and straight.
      • TLover9369@aol.com
        Message 4 of 8 , May 24, 2004
          Hey Pauline!  I live in MI but in the middle!  Luckily I live where the storms have either veerd to the South or the North of us!

          I have to 28" loom from knittingboard.com  and I just got the mini loom and have started practicing on that for now.  Haven't tried to change colors, but I'm sure there is a way~

          Teri

        • Jeanie Townsend
          Message 5 of 8 , May 24, 2004
            as with any knitting I just change colors, I do not tie in first, I just pick up the second color or skein and start working then after some stitches I go back, tie it up and later will weave in the ends.
            look under adding yarn, like new skein, running out of yarn?
            We do it all the time here. also try new stitches for variation.
          • Jeanie Townsend
            Message 6 of 8 , May 24, 2004
              has little movies to show exactly how to do it
              also I screen captured and can send in jpeg format

              when you make a regular new stitch, you wrap or lay the new
              yarn above the one already on the peg

              to purl, wrap the new yarn UNDER the stitch already on the peg
              the new wrap is closest to the base of the peg, the stitch that
              was already on it will be closest to the top of the peg.
              now reach down through the old stitch
              pull up a loop a long loop so it won't just snap back through
              ang get lost
              now flick off the old stitch, take it off of the peg
              now rehang the new stitch
              because you come from UNDER with the new stitch
              it works.

            • Carolyn Ranker
              Message 7 of 8 , May 24, 2004
                Hi,
                Where is the description of the easier way to purl?
                I'd love to learn the easiest way possible.  Lol!
                Thanks for all of the links too.
                Carolyn

                Message 8 of 8 , May 24, 2004
                  Thanks so very much.  I appreciate the explanation.
                  Carolyn