Re: Tube Scarf

  • Mary Jeanne
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 4, 2005
      For the magic scarf you need either a fun fur, eyelash or a yarn
      simular, the boa doesn't work so well though and yes it has to be
      worked tube to be a magic scarf. The magic part is that even worked
      on a smaller loom, like the red kk, it will open up wide enough to
      go over the head.

      If you want just a scarf made with fun fur that doesn't have
      this "magic" just work one in the flat. You will still have a very
      nice scarf.

      Now you can make a tube scarf with any yarn but unless it is very
      stretchy yarn or you use a really large loom, it won't fit over the
      head very well. Some might fit some people who are very small but
      larger heads, like mine, will feel kind of squished. ROFLOL

      MaryJeanne

      --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "sandy andy" <figurere8er@v...>
      wrote:
      > for tube do ya have to use fur or eyelash to make it a tube thingy

      When
      > wrapped around scarf like it will be thicker.
      >
      > MaryJeanne
      >

      > --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, Katie Jan
      > <happy_stitch_knit@y...> wrote:
      > > What is a magic scarf. Where do I find the pattern for one. Is
      > there a tube scarf that you can wear as a scarf and also wear as
      > hood. What I mean is you put the tube over your head and lift it
      up
      > at the back to form a hood.
      > > Kattie
      > >
      > > "Barbara Smith :-)" <barbscritters@a...> wrote:
      > > Wish you were were teaching me.LOL

      -----------
    • Shirley Baker
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 4, 2005
        MaryJeanne, when you put your stitches on the long piece of thread when
        removing the magic scarf, how do you make sure that the stitches will not
        fall off the other end of your thread?

        Shirley
        > Fun fur or eyelash type of yarn, two to three skeins needed.
        > Yellow kk loom or other of this size.
        > Needle for last row take off.
        >
        > Cut a long string of yarn to leave for finishing off, four to five
        > feet is what most use. Set aside.
        >
        > Wrap pegs twice with one strand of yarn.
        >
        > Pull one stitch over one stitch, wrap one time again. Continue till
        > skein is used, attach next skein and continue in the one over one
        > stitch pattern. If you want scarf longer then use a third skein of
        > yarn.
        >
        > When finished with all wrapping work till only one stitch is on the
        > pegs. Load needle with the long string you set aside at the
        > beginning.
        >
        > Leaving a long tail put needle with string through six stitches on
        > the loom, do not pull stitches off till string is through all six.
        > Remove five stitches from pegs (leaving them on the pegs prevents
        > them from binding up for the final step). Put needle through five
        > more stitches, then remove till one strung stitch is left, continue
        > till all stitches have been picked up and removed from loom.
        >
        > Next step: important: Keep hold of the two ends of the string you
        > used to work off those final stitches.
        >
        > Places hands inside the circle of the scarf and pull outwards taking
        > up some of the slack from the long string that is holding your
        > stitches. When the opening is as big as you can get it, tie off the
        > two ends together and hide all strings.
        >
        > Magic scarf done.
        >
        > You could do a large tube scarf in other yarns that will pull over
        > the head but it won't have the properties of the magic scarf. When
        > wrapped around scarf like it will be thicker.
        >
        > MaryJeanne
        >

        > --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, Katie Jan
        > <happy_stitch_knit@y...> wrote:
        > > What is a magic scarf. Where do I find the pattern for one. Is
        > there a tube scarf that you can wear as a scarf and also wear as a
        > hood. What I mean is you put the tube over your head and lift it up
        > at the back to form a hood.
        > > Kattie
        > >
        > > "Barbara Smith :-)" <barbscritters@a...> wrote:
        > > Wish you were were teaching me.LOL

      • Shirley Baker
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 4, 2005
          I have now the purple KK loom and I want to make a scarf on that one. How
          do I do that because it looks like it is double-sided? Do I just go back
          and forth like I would on any loom, or do I have to do the Figure 8 thing?
          Shirley
          > For the magic scarf you need either a fun fur, eyelash or a yarn
          > simular, the boa doesn't work so well though and yes it has to be
          > worked tube to be a magic scarf. The magic part is that even worked
          > on a smaller loom, like the red kk, it will open up wide enough to
          > go over the head.
          >
          > If you want just a scarf made with fun fur that doesn't have
          > this "magic" just work one in the flat. You will still have a very
          > nice scarf.
          >
          > Now you can make a tube scarf with any yarn but unless it is very
          > stretchy yarn or you use a really large loom, it won't fit over the
          > head very well. Some might fit some people who are very small but
          > larger heads, like mine, will feel kind of squished. ROFLOL
          >
          > MaryJeanne
          >
          > --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "sandy andy" <figurere8er@v...>
          > wrote:
          > > for tube do ya have to use fur or eyelash to make it a tube thingy

        • Mary Jeanne
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 4, 2005
            Hi Shirley,

            Many people use the purple board just like a round loom. So you
            would just e-wrap across one side and then cross to the other and
            continue going in a circle around the loom. The size works out to
            be the same as the green kk loom. I have used the purple board as a
            round loom for a hat and it turned out just fine. The stitches
            will "set" themselves after working down a bit. That gap across
            pegs hasn't seem to matter.

            Don't do a figure eight as that will not get you a magic scarf, just
            a flat piece.

            MaryJeanne

            --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "Shirley Baker"
            <shirleybaker@c...> wrote:
            > I have now the purple KK loom and I want to make a scarf on that
            one. How
            > do I do that because it looks like it is double-sided? Do I just
            go back
            > and forth like I would on any loom, or do I have to do the Figure
            8 thing?
            > Shirley

          • Shirley Baker
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 4, 2005
              MaryJeanne, I want to do a flat piece on the purple KK loom, so how do I go
              about doing that?

              Shirley
              > Many people use the purple board just like a round loom. So you
              > would just e-wrap across one side and then cross to the other and
              > continue going in a circle around the loom. The size works out to
              > be the same as the green kk loom. I have used the purple board as a
              > round loom for a hat and it turned out just fine. The stitches
              > will "set" themselves after working down a bit. That gap across
              > pegs hasn't seem to matter.
              >
              > Don't do a figure eight as that will not get you a magic scarf, just
              > a flat piece.
              >
              > MaryJeanne
              >
              > --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "Shirley Baker"
              > <shirleybaker@c...> wrote:
              > > I have now the purple KK loom and I want to make a scarf on that
              > one. How
              > > do I do that because it looks like it is double-sided? Do I just
              > go back
              > > and forth like I would on any loom, or do I have to do the Figure
              > 8 thing?
              > > Shirley
              > >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Mary Jeanne
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 5, 2005
                The best thing to do is watch the video that is here:
                http://decoraccentsinc.com/knittingloommovies.html look for the
                working on a knitting board links.

                <shirleybaker@c...> wrote:
                > MaryJeanne, I want to do a flat piece on the purple KK loom, so
                how do I go
                > about doing that?
                >
                > Shirley

              • Shirley Baker
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 5, 2005
                  Maryjeanne, I am one of the people in the group who cannot see videos.
                  Please tell me how to do a flat scarf on the KK purple loom. I don't want
                  to do this in a round.
                  Shirley B.
                  > The best thing to do is watch the video that is here:
                  > http://decoraccentsinc.com/knittingloommovies.html look for the
                  > working on a knitting board links.
                  >
                  > MaryJeanne
                  >
                  > --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "Shirley Baker"
                  > <shirleybaker@c...> wrote:
                  > > MaryJeanne, I want to do a flat piece on the purple KK loom, so
                  > how do I go
                  > > about doing that?
                  > >
                  > > Shirley

                • Mary Jeanne
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 5, 2005
                    Hi Shirley,

                    Yes I will do this. Right now I am studing for class tonight so
                    give me some extra time to work this up for you. I know how
                    difficult it is for you and I want to be extra careful so maybe it
                    will work faster for you.

                    <shirleybaker@c...> wrote:
                    > Maryjeanne, I am one of the people in the group who cannot see
                    videos.
                    > Please tell me how to do a flat scarf on the KK purple loom. I
                    don't want
                    > to do this in a round.
                    > Shirley B.

                  • Shirley Baker
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 5, 2005
                      Thank you.
                      Shirley B.
                      > Yes I will do this. Right now I am studing for class tonight so
                      > give me some extra time to work this up for you. I know how
                      > difficult it is for you and I want to be extra careful so maybe it
                      > will work faster for you.
                      >
                      > MaryJeanne
                      >
                      > --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "Shirley Baker"
                      > <shirleybaker@c...> wrote:
                      > > Maryjeanne, I am one of the people in the group who cannot see
                      > videos.
                      > > Please tell me how to do a flat scarf on the KK purple loom. I
                      > don't want
                      > > to do this in a round.
                      > > Shirley B.

                    • Mary Jeanne
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 6, 2005
                        Long tail cast on for purple board.

                        Leave a very long tail. How long depends on how many pegs you plan
                        to use. Leave a few inches for practice.
                        Make a slip knot and place it on a holding peg on the side of the
                        board.

                        Start at the bottom number 1 peg right side of the board. Take the
                        yarn coming from the skein and wrap around peg 1 in the e-wrap style
                        (the cross should be on the inside of the loom. Now take the long
                        tail and lay it on the outside of peg 1 "above" the e-wrap. Pull
                        the e-wrap over the long tail yarn. Work the stitch just made till
                        it sits in the center of the loom, this just takes a little pulling
                        on the yarn ends. You can reach in to feel where there is a little
                        knot right next to the peg, that is what needs to move to the center.

                        Now e-wrap the top number one peg with the yarn coming from the
                        skein. Take the long tail yarn and place it above the stitch on peg
                        1 top row and work off the e-wrap. Center the stitch. Move to peg
                        2 bottom row to do the same thing. Keep working moving from bottom
                        to top, top to bottom till the number of pegs you plan to work with
                        are wrapped. Push all the stitches down to give room for the next
                        row wrapping.

                        This is my first row of knitting. Do Not Turn the Board (this is
                        important, if you turn the board my instructions will not be right)

                        Alternate cast on, Lucet:

                        Figure eight wrap the top and bottom number one pegs. Figure eight
                        wrap them again. Knit off the bottom stitches. Move the resulting
                        knots to the center of the gap between pegs. Figure eight wrap
                        number two pegs twice, knit off. For this you do not need a long
                        tail.

                        Figure Eight Wrap:

                        Start the figure eight on the bottom peg, left side of the board,
                        with the yarn from the skein. Wrap around the peg starting on the
                        right side of the peg around the peg to the center moving up to the
                        top peg wrapping around it starting on the right side of that peg,
                        continue dow to peg two bottom. Always wrap from the right side of
                        the peg. Continue across wrapping all the pegs.

                        You will have two stitches per peg. Knit off the bottom stitch. Do
                        Not Turn the Board.

                        The next row of figure eight starts wrapping peg one bottom right,
                        but for this row wrap from the left sides of the pegs.

                        Repeat for the amount of rows needed for your scarf.

                        Single Stitch Wrap (this stitch stretches a lot, and without being
                        reinforced it will cause a misshapen finished project:

                        First row: Wrap each peg bottom to top from the left side of the
                        peg. Wrap bottom to top back to bottom to top across the board.
                        Knit off bottom stitch.

                        Row two: Wrap each peg bottom to top from the right side of the
                        peg. This will cause a different slant then the first row (this is
                        what you want).

                        Double Stitch (stockinette stitch)

                        Starting from the bottom peg wrap peg one bottom, skip top peg one,
                        wrap peg two on top, skip peg two on bottom wrap peg three.
                        Continue wrapping every other peg across the board. After wrapping
                        the last peg, wrap back to starting point wrapping the pegs you
                        skipped.

                        You can use any of these stitches to start with, the figure eight,
                        single, double, but remember your bottom first row will be loopy
                        without some other kind of cast on like the long tail, or luect
                        explained above.

                        I hope this helps some. It is not really easier then this to
                        explain.

                        For the scarf you choose how wide you want it, then just knit till
                        it is the length you want. The double stitch is the thickest
                        stitch, with the figure eight following, then the single.

                        You can also do combinations. I am working a baby ghan that is one
                        row figure eight, one row double. It looks really nice and is not
                        quite as tight as just the double alone.

                        MaryJeanne

                        , "Shirley Baker"

                      • Mary Jeanne
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 7, 2005
                          Hi Shirley,

                          Just checking to see if this helped you any. Please let me know.

                          MaryJeanne

                          --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Jeanne" <m_j_pettit@y...>
                          wrote:

> [...]
                          wrapping
                          > the last peg, wrap back to starting point wrapping the pegs you
                          > skipped.
                          >
                          > You can use any of these stitches to start with, the figure eight,
                          > single, double, but remember your bottom first row will be loopy
                          > without some other kind of cast on like the long tail, or luect
                          > explained above.
                          >
                          > I hope this helps some. It is not really easier then this to
                          > explain.
                          >
                          > For the scarf you choose how wide you want it, then just knit till
                          > it is the length you want. The double stitch is the thickest
                          > stitch, with the figure eight following, then the single.
                          >
                          > You can also do combinations. I am working a baby ghan that is
                          one
                          > row figure eight, one row double. It looks really nice and is not
                          > quite as tight as just the double alone.

                        • Shirley Baker
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 7, 2005
                            Maryjeanne, well, the instructions are not very simple sounding to me but I
                            think what you are telling me is to do a figure 8 and then go from there. I
                            don't want to use that short tail and would rather use the yarn attached to
                            the skein. That is how I always do whatever I am making.
                            Shirley B.
> [...]
                            > wrapping
                            > > the last peg, wrap back to starting point wrapping the pegs you
                            > > skipped.
                            > >
                            > > You can use any of these stitches to start with, the figure eight,
                            > > single, double, but remember your bottom first row will be loopy
                            > > without some other kind of cast on like the long tail, or luect
                            > > explained above.
                            > >
                            > > I hope this helps some. It is not really easier then this to
                            > > explain.
                            > >
                            > > For the scarf you choose how wide you want it, then just knit till
                            > > it is the length you want. The double stitch is the thickest
                            > > stitch, with the figure eight following, then the single.
                            > >
                            > > You can also do combinations. I am working a baby ghan that is
                            > one
                            > > row figure eight, one row double. It looks really nice and is not
                            > > quite as tight as just the double alone.

                          • Mary Jeanne
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 7, 2005
                              Hi Shirley,

                              Actually I explained two different cast ons, the long tail, and the
                              lucet, and how to do three different stitches, the figure eight,
                              single stitch, and the double stitch.

                              <shirleybaker@c...> wrote:

                              > Maryjeanne, well, the instructions are not very simple sounding to
                              me but I
                              > think what you are telling me is to do a figure 8 and then go from
                              there. I
                              > don't want to use that short tail and would rather use the yarn
                              attached to
                              > the skein. That is how I always do whatever I am making.
                              > Shirley B.

                            • Shirley Baker
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 8, 2005
                                Well, that is what got me mixed up because there were too many. I only want
                                to know about the figure 8 for now.
                                Shirley B.