anyone making their own?

  • soapmaster2002
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
      if so...what recommendations can you make?

      Anna
    • basketblessed
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2004
        Hi Anna - I did make a loom once, pretty much following the
        directions found in the book "Corking". I used finishing nails &
        placed them 1/4 inch apart around the rim of an old coffee can, they
        were held in place with Sport's tape & electrical tape. I did not
        like the tightness of the knit so I discarded the loom. My only
        advice would be to measure for evenness of spacing & if using
        finishing nails I'd suggest using 2 togther so you create a groove
        that your pick can use to get under the yarn. Cotter nails work well
        too, as they already have a groove & also a little head to help keep
        the yarn on - your local hardware store would have these & they're
        not terribly expensive. The "Corking" book is pretty new & most
        libraries have it, as does www.half.com & the other online book
        sellers...the author's last name is Sadler. HTH. -DianeM
      • Jeanie
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2004
          --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "soapmaster2002" <goatcreek@k...>
          wrote:
          > if so...what recommendations can you make?
          >
          > Anna

          I have used plywood, and regular wood, cut out the circles or
          rectangles, drilled the holes and set wooden pegs with elmers wood
          glue. You can buy wooden pegs from many sources online and also my
          local home depot carries wooden pegs. I bought a different kind with
          heads from michaels craft store. None had slots down side of peg.
          looms work wonderfully, you can put pegs where you want them, size
          of peg, closeness, etc. it was fun. It was a HUGE amount of work and
          the smoothness was lacking. It is also extremely hard to make sure
          your drill holes are straight up and down. A drill press would have
          been a real help there.