RE: [ROUNDLOOMS] Removing A Flat Piece.

  • Penny Schwartz
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 31, 2005
      The way I do it is with a crochet hook. Work from the opposite end of your working yarn, pick up the first loop, then the 2nd ... pull the second loop through the first, then pick up the next loop and pull it thru the one on the hook ... continuing across. When you get to the end, pull the working yarn through the loop on the hook, tie off and weave in.

      If this is too tight, start at the working yarn end, and chain 1 between the loom loops. To chain 1, just hook the working yarn and pull it thru the loop on the hook, then hook the next loop, pull thru loop on hook, chain, next loop .. etc.

      Another method I use sometimes is to move the loop to the next peg, knit off, move that loop to the next peg, knit off .. all the way around.

      Hope it helps!   ~Penny~

      Would someone please tell me how you go about removing a flat piece such as a shawl from a loom?
      Shirley
    • Rev.Cheryl Szlachetka
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 31, 2005
        I take a crochet hook and take mine off.I start at the point where the last row started...I want the yarn that is around the knob to be the last stitch i take off.this is so when i cut the yarn i can pull it through the last stitch off the crochet hook and with a light pull will knot and hold  the peice together..
        take your first st off and on the crochet hook,then take your next st off,pull through the first one on the hook and off the hook..take the the st off and pull through and drop off hook and continue all around..

        Blessings,
        Rev.Szlachetka

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Shirley Baker
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 31, 2005
          MaryJeanne, this first method you describe here where you take the loop and
          put it on your crochet hook and then take another one and put it through the
          first loop, is that like making a chain when you get ready to crochet? When
          you say put it through the loop, are you saying to draw it through like you
          were going to make a regular chain when crocheting? If so, I can understand
          it.

          The second method you describe, after you put the first loop on the hook,
          then are you saying to take the thread attached to your skein of yarn and
          put it in the loop--the hole of the loop originally on the peg and then put
          that new loop on your hook? If this is not what you are saying, please
          clarify if you can.
          Shirley
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 16, 2005
            I have a question about this second method of removal. After you take your
            skein thread and pull it through the stitch, then I think you said to take
            the next stitch off the peg and then you said pull that through. Does that
            mean you take the loop and just put it into the other one?
            Shirley
            > You crochet it off. Take a large crochet hook and place the stitch
            > from peg one on the hook. Pick up the stitch from peg two and pull
            > it through the first stitch. Do this all the way around the loom.
            >
            > Now if you want a removal that is a little looser then the one above
            > you can get that by using chains.
            >
            > You pick up the first stitch at where your yarn is putting that
            > stitch on the crochet hook. Now reach out with the hook part and
            > grab the yarn coming from the skein. Pull this yarn through the
            > stitch you picked up. You should have one loop on the hook. Now
            > pick up the stitch from the next peg and pull it through. Then grab
            > the skein yarn and pull it through again. This is a chain stitch.
            > Now continue around the loom doing the same thing.
            >
            > MaryJeanne
            >

            > --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "Shirley Baker"
            > <shirleybaker@c...> wrote:
            > > I understand how to remove a hat but I want to know about just a
            > flat piece like you're making a shawl please?
            > > Shirley

          • Rev.Cheryl Szlachetka
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 16, 2005
              try this site she has mini movies

              Blessings,
              Rev.Szlachetka

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Shirley Baker
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 16, 2005
                I cannot see movies as I am totally blind.
                Shirley
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 16, 2005

                  Open bind off:
                  Lift lst stitch thru 2nd stitch,
                  2nd stitch thru 3rd stitch, etc.
                  to have a more loose binding,
                  crochet one or two chains between
                  removing stitches.

                  Blessings,
                  Rev.Szlachetka

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • CK
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 16, 2005
                    There is a site that has written instructions for a tighter cast off or for a looser one using a crochet hook. Anyone rember which one it was?
                    Christa

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 16, 2005
                      was it this one.   .http://cputzier.tripod.com/id3.html

                      Blessings,
                      Rev.Szlachetka

                      Yahoo! for Good
                    • Mary Jeanne
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 16, 2005
                        Hi Shirley,

                        The second method is one you use when you do not want a gathered
                        end, say like for a flat piece or if you plan to make a round piece
                        by sewing one end and having the other open for say like a purse.

                        There are a couple of ways to do this. I think you said you
                        crocheted so maybe you will not have a lot of trouble with this as
                        it is a crocheted method of removal.

                        Method one makes a very firm edging. Pick up the stitch off of peg
                        one and place it on a large crochet hook. I use a J, K, or N. Then
                        pick up the stitch off of peg two and pull it through the first
                        stitch on the crochet hook. Now pick up the stitch from peg three
                        and pull it through. Continue around picking up the next stitch and
                        working it off till you have one last stitch on the crochet hook.
                        Pull through the yarn end and finish off.

                        Method two makes a little looser edging but still firm enough. You
                        take off the stitch where your yarn from the skein is and place it
                        on a crochet hook. Now yarn over with your working yarn and pull
                        through. Chain 1 made. Now pick up the stitch from the second peg
                        and pull it through the chain. Chain 1 again. Continue around
                        finishing off by pulling through the last stitch.

                        Method three is where you single crochet. Pick up the first stitch
                        where your yarn from the skein is, go under the strands between this
                        stitch and the next stitch, yarn over and pull through, complete as
                        a single crochet. Pick up the stitch off of the next peg, yarn over
                        and complete the single crochet.

                        This last method I have not used. I have only seen it explained.
                        The second method I am not fond of as it leaves the work too loose
                        between stitches for me. I usually use the first method.

                        Does this help? I am sure that people will come up with more ways
                        to remove as time goes on and people experiment but these are what I
                        know for now.

                        <shirleybaker@c...> wrote:
                        > I have a question about this second method of removal. After you
                        take your
                        > skein thread and pull it through the stitch, then I think you said
                        to take
                        > the next stitch off the peg and then you said pull that through.
                        Does that
                        > mean you take the loop and just put it into the other one?
                        > Shirley

                        Terms
                        > > of Service.

                        -----

                      • Shirley Baker
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 16, 2005
                          I got the instructions but I'm trying to understand them.
                          Shirley

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 16, 2005
                            Mary, when you say pull the loop through the chain, describing the second
                            flat removal method, are you saying to put the loop through the hole of the
                            previous loop? I'm still having trouble understanding.

                          • CK

                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 16, 2005
                                Method two. Take the first stitch off of peg 1 and put it on a
                                crochet hook. Now with your hook grab the yarn coming from the
                                skein and pull it through the stitch one you have on the hook. This
                                will cause this first stitch to drop off the hook and lay on the
                                yarn you just pulled through. This is a chain 1. Now pick up the
                                stitch off of peg 2 and pull it though the loop on the hook.

                                Then you are going to again grab the skein yarn (which is normally
                                called the working yarn), and pull it through the new stitch that is
                                on the hook thus forming another chain 1. Keep picking up stitches
                                to pull through the chains and then making another chain 1 right
                                after.

                                So

                                stitch one off peg on crochet hook
                                yarn over hook
                                pull yarn over through stitch one, chain 1 completed
                                stitch two picked up on crochet hook
                                two loops now on hook
                                pull stitch two through first loop
                                yarn over pull through stitch on hook.

                                continue working around in this method.

                                MaryJeanne

                                Sorry it is late and I am tired. I will think on how better to put
                                this and give you more tomorrow.

                                <shirleybaker@c...> wrote:
                                > Mary, when you say pull the loop through the chain, describing the
                                second
                                > flat removal method, are you saying to put the loop through the
                                hole of the
                                > previous loop? I'm still having trouble understanding.
                                > Shirley

                              • Shirley Baker
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 17, 2005
                                  When you say Now pick up the
                                  stitch off of peg 2 and pull it through the loop on the hook, are you saying
                                  to put it into the hole of the loop?

                                  Shirley
                                  > Method two. Take the first stitch off of peg 1 and put it on a
                                  > crochet hook. Now with your hook grab the yarn coming from the
                                  > skein and pull it through the stitch one you have on the hook. This
                                  > will cause this first stitch to drop off the hook and lay on the
                                  > yarn you just pulled through. This is a chain 1. Now pick up the
                                  > stitch off of peg 2 and pull it though the loop on the hook.
                                  >
                                  > Then you are going to again grab the skein yarn (which is normally
                                  > called the working yarn), and pull it through the new stitch that is
                                  > on the hook thus forming another chain 1. Keep picking up stitches
                                  > to pull through the chains and then making another chain 1 right
                                  > after.
                                  >
                                  > So
                                  >
                                  > stitch one off peg on crochet hook
                                  > yarn over hook
                                  > pull yarn over through stitch one, chain 1 completed
                                  > stitch two picked up on crochet hook
                                  > two loops now on hook
                                  > pull stitch two through first loop
                                  > yarn over pull through stitch on hook.
                                  >
                                  > continue working around in this method.
                                  >
                                  > MaryJeanne
                                  >
                                  > Sorry it is late and I am tired. I will think on how better to put
                                  > this and give you more tomorrow.
                                  >

                                  > --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "Shirley Baker"
                                  > <shirleybaker@c...> wrote:
                                  > > Mary, when you say pull the loop through the chain, describing the
                                  > second
                                  > > flat removal method, are you saying to put the loop through the
                                  > hole of the
                                  > > previous loop? I'm still having trouble understanding.
                                  > > Shirley

                                • Mary Jeanne
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 17, 2005
                                    Yes thats what you do.

                                    <shirleybaker@c...> wrote:
                                    > When you say Now pick up the
                                    > stitch off of peg 2 and pull it through the loop on the hook, are
                                    you saying
                                    > to put it into the hole of the loop?
                                    >

                                    > Shirley

                                    Yahoo!