Hello & Request for help!

  • parmentrout@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 19, 2004
      Hello! My name is Pam, and I live on the Texas Gulfcoast. In
      October I saw the Yarn Around sold on a home shopping channel and ran
      to buy one at my local craft store. I was immediatley hooked (so to
      speak)! I made a several afghans for family for Christmas, and it
      was the most enjoyable "shopping for Christmas" that I've had in a
      long time.

      May I ask for your advice? Please? I'm still having trouble with
      ending the piece. It's either entirely too tight or entirely too
      loose, and the instructions that came with the loom are not very
      specific.

      Thanks so much--I'm looking forward to being a member of this group.

      Pam
    • Janet Gibson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 19, 2004
        Hi,
        I'm new to the list as well and I didn't know you could make afghans. I make hats and just now I'm trying my first scarf. I would love to know how to do an afghan and also need instructions for ending. Thanks
        Janet in Utah....

        Hello!  My name is Pam, and I live on the Texas Gulfcoast.  In
        October I saw the Yarn Around sold on a home shopping channel and ran
        to buy one at my local craft store.  I was immediatley hooked (so to
        speak)!  I made a several afghans for family for Christmas, and it
        was the most enjoyable "shopping for Christmas" that I've had in a
        long time.

        May I ask for your advice?  Please?  I'm still having trouble with
        ending the piece.  It's either entirely too tight or entirely too
        loose, and the instructions that came with the loom are not very
        specific.

        Thanks so much--I'm looking forward to being a member of this group.

        Pam

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        To handle yourself, use your head.
        To handle others, use your heart.

        Internet Service as low as $9.95 a month

        https://sub.copper.net/promo/4344217.asp

        MAKE MONEY WHILE YOU SLEEP NO REFERRING
        http://www.webstars2000.com/r/index.php?id=6077
        http://www.webstars2000.com/wow/index.php?id=6077
        http://www.webstars2000.com/mlm/t.php?rid=269

        '
        Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
        http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
      • Sarah Louie
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 19, 2004
          Hi Pam,

          Nice to meet you.  I'm Sarah L. and I live in Derry, NH.  I'm am fairly new at this ... knitting with a loom.  What are you trying to finish?  I've only made hats and a tube slipper/sock with mine.  I'm afraid I only know one way of finishing.  Can you tell me more about what you are making?

          I bought my mom an In The Attic adult hat loom (round one too), as we both learned over the holidays.  She lives in California, and wanted a reminder on how to finish a hat.  I took pictures and made a WORD doc with them in it.  If you think that would help, I could email you a copy of it.  Let me know.

          Sarah L. in NH

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 24, 2004
            Hi Janet!
            I'm not really following a pattern. I have a 32 peg round loom, and
            I'm making three long strips the length of my couch and then sewing
            them together.

            Pam

            --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Gibson" <gibsonj@e...>
            wrote:
            > Hi,
            > I'm new to the list as well and I didn't know you could make
            afghans. I make hats and just now I'm trying my first scarf. I
            would love to know how to do an afghan and also need instructions for
            ending. Thanks
            > Janet in Utah....

            Service.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 24, 2004

              wrote:
              > Hi,
              > I'm new to the list as well and I didn't know you could make
              afghans. I make hats and just now I'm trying my first scarf. I
              would love to know how to do an afghan and also need instructions for
              ending. Thanks
              > Janet in Utah....

              Service.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 24, 2004
                Thanks for the reply, Sarah.
                I'm just trying to finish a plain rectangular piece. I'm making
                three long strips and sewing them together to make an afghan. It
                isn't very fancy, but it will work well for the charity project I'm a
                part of. (We're making lap blankets for a local nursing home.)

                Pam

                --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah Louie" <slouie76@h...>
                wrote:
                > Hi Pam,
                >
                > Nice to meet you. I'm Sarah L. and I live in Derry, NH. I'm am
                fairly new at this ... knitting with a loom. What are you trying to
                finish? I've only made hats and a tube slipper/sock with mine. I'm
                afraid I only know one way of finishing. Can you tell me more about
                what you are making?

                > I bought my mom an In The Attic adult hat loom (round one too), as
                we both learned over the holidays. She lives in California, and
                wanted a reminder on how to finish a hat. I took pictures and made a
                WORD doc with them in it. If you think that would help, I could
                email you a copy of it. Let me know.

                > Sarah L. in NH

                Service.
              • Sarah Louie
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 26, 2004
                  Hi Pam,

                  Sounds nice.  I have yet to try making a flat piece with my round loom.  Was it difficult?  Care to share any hints or tips?  I don't have the Yarn-A-Round.  I want something closer knitted, so I use the In The Attic adult hat loom.  Maybe "if" we get a tax refund, I will by an adult small gauge loom too.

                  Hmmm, what size are lap blankets you make?

                  Sarah L. in NH

                • parmentrout@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 29, 2004
                    Sarah,

                    I apologize for taking so long to reply—I read my mail at work, and I
                    keep forgetting to measure my pieces when I'm at home! I will get it
                    measured—I promise.

                    I'm afraid I don't have any tips; I'm still very new at this. I
                    didn't even know it was possible to get something that has a smaller
                    gage, or looms that weren't round for that matter.

                    Truthfully, my main reason for buying the product was that it was
                    something COMPLETELY new to me. I spend all day every day at work
                    writing and using the computer, and at home in the evenings I'd quilt
                    or cross stitch or crochet, and my right hand/wrist started to ache.
                    Since I'm afraid of surgery and getting carpal tunnel, I've been
                    looking for things I can do with my left hand. When I saw this on
                    television, I thought it would be perfect. I have been pretty
                    successful in teaching myself to use my left hand with this --
                    IMHO :-)

                    wrote:
                    > Hi Pam,
                    >
                    > Sounds nice. I have yet to try making a flat piece with my round
                    loom. Was it difficult? Care to share any hints or tips? I don't
                    have the Yarn-A-Round. I want something closer knitted, so I use the
                    In The Attic adult hat loom. Maybe "if" we get a tax refund, I will
                    by an adult small gauge loom too.

                    > Hmmm, what size are lap blankets you make?
                    >
                    > Sarah L. in NH

                  • Sarah Louie
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 29, 2004
                      Thanks Pam,

                      I hope you can share your measurements soon.  I'm making my DD a scarf right now.  I am using a DA child hat travel loom/board.  I am not using the loom as a knitting in the round.  That makes this nice, because it turns out like knitting on both sides.  http://decoraccentsinc.com/child_hat_travel_loom_board.html  If you ever think of buying from DA, there is a 5% discount number you can get. Just ask me.

                      Sarah L. in NH

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 5 11:40 AM
                        How do you make a strip on a round loom? Help please!!!
                        Patty