Newbie is lost :(

  • cynhalverson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2014

      Ok I am begging for help here. As I am doing a dishcloth for the very first time I have never had to bind off. I am doing the grandmas favorite dishcloth on you tube. I can see how she binds off on the tutorial however following the pattern before starting the bind off my working yarn is on the left side (like it is going back to purl). Hers shows it on the right side so she is binding off going counterclock wise. I need to know how to do it clockwise. Please don't tell me to just do it backwards I need instructions or a tutorial. Thanks so very much!!

    • Karen Mokas
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2014
        just do one more row and you will be where you need to be.... happy looming

        Love grows best when given away. Here is some love.

        On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 11:45 AM, "cynhalverson@..." <cynhalverson@...> wrote:

        Ok I am begging for help here. As I am doing a dishcloth for the very first time I have never had to bind off. I am doing the grandmas favorite dishcloth on you tube. I can see how she binds off on the tutorial however following the pattern before starting the bind off my working yarn is on the left side (like it is going back to purl). Hers shows it on the right side so she is binding off going counterclock wise. I need to know how to do it clockwise. Please don't tell me to just do it backwards I need instructions or a tutorial. Thanks so very much!!

      • Heather Parker
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2014
          In trying to sort out how to convert a knit pattern to a loom pattern, I discovered three things:

          1) My Martha Steward loom/knit kit is really cool if I am looking for a certain size loom with x amount of pegs and doing a pattern due to the choice of colored pegs, but the small gauge is really small and maybe only for looming? There should be more peg colors. I'd buy more if they sold them someplace.
          2) My Knifty Knitter long loom kit isn't bad at all with the proper tool. I bought a Knitting Board "Knitting Hook for loom knitting" tool with 50% off coupon at JoAnn's. (I was disappoint to see that the KB S-shaped Afghan loom didn't come with the same hook.) This new tool makes all the difference. I used to have a lot of trouble with using the KniftyKnitter long looms with the smaller pegs. I love my new tool!
          3) I almost made a speed run to JoAnn's or Michael's (I'm lucky to have them both close by.) to buy stitch markers, but they seemed a little expensive for little loops of colored plastic. I figured out to cut small pieces of plastic straw! We a have a drawer in the kitchen with un-used straws from take-out. I have a small assortment. Some clear, some striped and some red. They slip over the pegs perfectly. I can see myself becoming a straw kleptomaniac. I think 7-11 might have some pretty cool straws for the slurpies. And they are only 1/2 block away! Anyhow, I'm so happy to have repurposed those straws. We weren't going to use them anyway.

          I think I finally figured out how to do the scarf pattern, but not sure how the gauge is going to work. The MS loom was too small and tight. I'm trying my green KK long loom, but it seems too big. I really didn't want to buy another loom. I think the KB afghan loom, but be a better gauge for this scarf and that is my next one to try.

          Heather