Rubber band loom

  • Susannah Kelsey
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 11 8:06 AM
      I'm looking for a birthday gift for a girl who will be turning 11.
      I've been seeing a loom that uses colorful rubber bands to create
      jewelry, such as bracelets. Are any of you familiar with this loom,
      and if so, what are your thoughts?

      Susannah in SoCal
    • LaDonna S. Edwards

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 12 9:08 AM
          These looms are fun but be sure to get a decent brand. (Stay away from the accordion-type ones--they can only make 2 types of bracelets, though they might be useful for making charms. (I have one but haven't tried it for charms, yet. I much prefer the Rainbow Loom type!)
        • angelkittie62
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 12 10:46 PM
            I have the rainbow loom and make lots of bracelets. my favorite is the two peg fish tail. you can google the loom patterns and get all kinds of videos. hugs, sherrie

            In a message dated 4/12/2014 12:08:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, sis5of11@... writes:

            These looms are fun but be sure to get a decent brand. (Stay away from the accordion-type ones--they can only make 2 types of bracelets, though they might be useful for making charms. (I have one but haven't tried it for charms, yet. I much prefer the Rainbow Loom type!)

          • angelbaby_1993
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 13 5:23 AM

              Hi there,

              I have the Rainbow Loom, the Martha Stewart Loom and had a knockoff of the Rainbow Loom. I would highly recommend the name brand Rainbow Loom. The Martha loom isn't good for the majority of styles of rubber band bracelets out there. You can only make one or two styles so if the giftee wants to make stuff with rubber bands I'd skip that one.

              I would also urge you to get the Rainbow Loom brand one. You can get it at Michaels or even Learning Express. I had initially bought the no-name brand around Christmas because I could use a 40% off coupon and thought, meh, what's the difference. At that time you couldn't use the coupons on the Rainbow Loom. Well, I learned the difference and don't recommend the other brands. There are many differences actually. First, the ability of the Rainbow Loom to be adjustable and not fixed so you can make different patterns is a huge plus. You can join it to a second, third, fourth etc loom to make a bigger one. Also not an option on a fixed loom.

              The pegs are bigger on the Rainbow which means more bands and space for a larger hook. The pegs are rounder, less sharp so there's less of an edge to tear the rubber band. The size and shape of the peg makes a very big difference in the ease of placement and looping of the bands. And there's better space between pegs on the Rainbow than no-names to get fingers in for band placement and hook manipulation. They have also come out a month or so ago with a smaller Monster Tail loom and a sturdier hook with a metal tip. It's nice and heavy compared to the regular plastic one. Maybe heavy isn't the right word but it's more sturdy.

              Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give you my thoughts on it and why I prefer the Rainbow Loom over the others. I hope that I've been helpful to you.

              Debbi

            • MaggiesMagicNeedles1963
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 14 10:42 AM
                My daughter loves hers. You can even use the rubber bands from Dollar tree. She says they are a little smaller and are not interchangeable with the original brand. But if you yes the same size bands on the whorl project your daughter can adjust for the change in len\width.

                Maggie
                Ps she is 12

                Sent from my iPad