Newbie needs help

  • cynhalverson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 25, 2014
      Hi:
      Thank you for adding me to you group!! I have never knitted nor used a loom. I am a crocheter wanting to learn a new hobby!  I want to make a ruffle scarf using the flower loom and have tried 3 times. It looks great until I try to bind off. I have no clue as to how to do this. I tried watching a few videos but still can not get it. I have some silly questions...do you bind off differently for different looms?  Do you use your working yarn to bind off or only the yarn already on the pegs?
      I would sure appreciate any help. Thanks so much!!!
    • Ebburcher
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 25, 2014
        I didn't know you could do the ruffle scarf on the round loom!  That would be very interesting.  I've been crocheting them, but they are awful narrow....
        Pam

        Thank you for adding me to you group!! I have never knitted nor used a loom. I am a crocheter wanting to learn a new hobby!  I want to make a ruffle scarf using the flower loom and have tried 3 times. It looks great until I try to bind off. I have no clue as to how to do this. I tried watching a few videos but still can not get it. I have some silly questions...do you bind off differently for different looms?  Do you use your working yarn to bind off or only the yarn already on the pegs?
        I would sure appreciate any help. Thanks so much!!!
      • Terry Taylor
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 25, 2014
          Isela has great videos on u tube on ruffle scarf
          Enjoy
          Terry T

        • Ebburcher
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 25, 2014
            Thank you so much, I watched it, found another with the round loom and made one tonight.  This is wonderful!
            Pam

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 26, 2014
              Ruffle scarves are perfect and easy to make on looms.  I use the pink, double-end (pegged) specialty loom, not the orange "flower" loom as I find the orange flower loom makes the scarves appear to be thinner and more "limp."  This limp appearance has to do with both the distance between the pegs and the number of pegs on each loom.  In my opinion, the pink specialty loom (larger end) makes the end product appear fuller.  To use the pink loom, you remove the pegs from the small end so your yarn doesn't get caught on those pegs as your looming the scarf on the larger end.  You also turn the pegs so the ridge is towards the center of the loom as opposed to facing out.  Use a rubber tip or coated pliers if necessary to move or take out difficult or stuck pegs.  Also, on either loom, you might want to number your pegs before starting your project.  It makes it easier to follow instructions.  I use a black permanent marker to write the numbers below the pegs (on the orange flower loom) prior to starting a project but you can use any method you want to do so.  If you are numbering them after the fact, you may want to try to write the numbers on top of the peg to avoid getting marker on your yarn.  This is harder to do on the pink specialty loom because the surface area below the pegs is scalloped and the head of the pegs are much smaller.

              Regardless of which loom you use, the bind off I use is as follows:  Cut your yarn after your final row leaving about a 4 inch tail hanging.  If you haven't numbered your pegs before, you may want to do so now to better understand and follow the instructions.  Also, if you are using a small-holed ruffle yarn such as Sashay, you will want to be pulling out the empty pegs as you progress around the loom during the bind off.

              Bind Off Instructions:
              1.  Move the loop currently on peg 2 to peg one.  You now have 2 loops on peg 1.  Knit off peg 1.  Move the completed stitch (loop) from Peg 1 back to Peg 2.  (Peg 1 is now empty.  You can pull the peg out.)
              2.  Move the loop currently on peg 3 to peg 2.  (Peg 1 is now empty or removed and Peg 2 now has 2 loops on it.)  Knit off peg 2.  Move the completed stitch (loop) from peg 2 back to peg 3.  (Peg 1 and 2 are now empty or removed.)
              3. Move the loop currently on peg 4 to peg 3.  (Peg 1 and 2 are now empty or removed and Peg 3 now has 2 loops on it.) Knit off Peg 3.  Move the completed stitch (loop) from peg 3 back to peg 4.  (Pegs 1, 2, and 3 are now empty or removed.)
              4. Continue in this manner until you have only one completed stitch (loop) left on the loom.  (Peg 8 on the pink specialty loom or Peg 12 on the orange flower loom.)  Remember that last peg (loop) should have been moved to the prior peg, knit off and moved back making it your final lone stitch (loop) on the loom.
              5.  Take the end of your working yarn and place another loop from the tail of the ruffle yarn over the remaining stitch.  (You're actually folding the yarn and going back to put that loop on the remaining stitch.)  Knit off.  Carefully take this last stitch (loop) off and grasp the back of the stitch to pull the remainder of the tail through the stitch.  If you're right-handed you would be pulling it from the left to the right.  (This is easier with wide-holed yarn such as Starbella and a little harder with small-holed yarn such as Sashay.). Pull out the last peg.  Remove the loom through the "hole" left at the end of your scarf.  You can tug fairly hard on the fiber to work the loom through the hole.  Once you get the loom past the half-way point, it becomes much easier to remove it.
              6.  Once done, double knot the tail keeping the knot as close to that final stitch as possible.  Cut off the remaining tail after your double knot.

              I hope this helps.

              Cherie Nelson
              'Like' and Follow us on Facebook: Fab Fiber Shop
            • Ebburcher
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 26, 2014
                Cherie, that makes perfect sense to me.  I sort of muddled through the bind off last night and I did pretty much what you are saying to do.  I was just so amazed at how much nicer the scarf looks on the  Specialty Loom than the ones I did with the crochet hook.  I had to make a run to JoAnn's this morning to get more ruffle yarn.  I do have a question though.  I am not getting a full scarf per skein of yarn.  Should I be?  I did when I was crocheting, but the scarf wasn't nearly as full and I prefer the fuller scarves, so I assume that's what the difference is.  I don't think I would need two full skeins, but I bought two today to see how much I really need to get the desired length.  I think I read that they were supposed to be 60" but mine are more like 48".
                Pam

[...]

                3. Move the loop currently on peg 4 to peg 3.  (Peg 1 and 2 are now empty or removed and Peg 3 now has 2 loops on it.) Knit off Peg 3. &nbs p;Move the completed stitch (loop) from peg 3 back to peg 4.  (Pegs 1, 2, and 3 are now empty or removed.)
[...]

                I hope this helps.< /div>

                Cherie Nelson
                'Like' and Follow us on Facebook: Fab Fiber Shop
              • Cyn Halverson
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 26, 2014
                  Thank you so much for all the tips!!! It is just what I was looking for. You even made it simple enough for even me to understand *;) winking
                  Thanks again!!!

                  Cyn
                • Heather Parker
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 30, 2014
                    Hi Terry,

                    Thank you for posting this video.  After watching it, I made a run to Michael's where I found the yarn on sale!  Bought four different colors.  I finished my pink scarf one today!

                    I used the purple scarf loom.  I started my next scarf on the yellow long loom with smaller pegs and spacing, but the scarf should work out the same since I count three loop each time.  I have trouble seeing the dark yarn on the purple loom.  I may have to make trip to HobbyLobby and pick up another scarf loom in the light color.  I'm not really a fan of the long looms that I have.  I alway drop stitches and have trouble picking up the loop.  The scarf loom is my favorite.

                    I had pretty much petered out on my enthusiasm for the looms.  I have unfinished projects and I have enough hats and scarfs already now.  I had been trying to make a baby blanket and shrug, but they just were taking too long.  This scarf project was so quick and easy!

                    Thanks again,

                    Heather

                    Sent from my iPad

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 2, 2014
                      The length of the scarf is determined by whomever is making the scarf.  Note that different people like different lengths for different reasons.  If you were wearing one to work, you might want a shorter one.  I often recommend shorter versions to professional business women who wear much of the same type of outfits to work every day to add a splash of color.  (Think multiple business suits in black, navy blue, or gray wearing different dress shirts in white, cream, tan or, being adventurous, in other colors.)  From my selling experience, these women tend to prefer a shorter length scarf (think 36").  Teen girls seem to like the longer scarves (or, again, from my experience, maybe they just don't think about it at all and are more apt to choose a scarf solely based on color). For younger children (think ages 6-12) a 60" scarf would totally drown them which is why you now see the "new" ruffle yarns specifically designed for kids where the width of the pre-fab ruffle and the length of fiber in the skein are both smaller.  (BTW, a great marketing idea by whomever thought of it since the skein cost isn't much lower but the total amount of fiber is).  My point is scarf length is not set in stone.  Different lengths work for different people for different reasons.  Also play with this fiber.  Try different brands where the length of fiber provided in a skein can and does vary.  Think outside of the box.  You can make tutu's for young girls, make a beautiful doily or add it to hats and to handbags!  Let your creativity flow.  Make something unique.