Re: : Open stitches

  • Lynn Carpenter
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2005
      "betyantonio5" <betyantonio5@...> wrote:

      >I'm new to your board and to board knitting. I knit on a double rake
      >loom and was wondering if anyone has directions for an open stitch or
      >a drop stitch that can be done on the board?? Any help would be
      >really appreciated. Thank you, Bety

      One way to make open stitches on a knitting board (or on a round knitting
      frame) is to do lace knitting on it. For example, if you are working on 5
      pegs (I know that's a low number, but if I say "80 pegs" I would be up all
      night typing, lol):

      Wrap and knit all 5 pegs (on a knitting board, both sides, so 10 pegs)
      Move #2 over onto #3 and #4 over onto #5.
      Now you have:
      peg 1-one loop
      2-empty
      3-two loops
      4-empty
      5-two loops

      Wrap the board.
      Peg 1, lift the bottom loop over.
      Peg 2, leave alone so it has the one new loop or wrap on it
      Peg 3, lift both bottom loops over.
      Peg 4, leave alone just like peg 2.
      Peg 5, lift both bottom loops over.

      Now wrap the board and knit (loop over, lift over) one regular row.

      This time we'll just make one eyelet on the middle peg:
      Put the loop on #3 over onto #4.

      Wrap and knit off as above, following these rules:
      If the peg has 2 loops, lift the bottom loop over.
      If the peg has 1 loop, leave it alone.
      If the peg has 3 loops, lift both bottom loops over.

      Wrap and knit one regular row.

      Now we'll make this symmetrical:
      Put #2 onto #3, and #4 onto #5.

      Wrap & knit (see rules).

      Wrap and knit a regular row.

      This makes a little pattern of holes:
      -o-o-
      --o--
      -o-o-

      With a little brain work, pretty much almost any lace knitting pattern can
      be done on the board. On a round frame, you just have one layer of pegs,
      but this will also work on a double rake: just do both layers the same
      way, so the holes go right through.

      Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA
      alwen at i2k dot com
    • betyantonio5
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 25, 2005
        Thanks for the instructions, I'll try it. I ordered the love knot
        pattern from the website Vera found for me, but in while it ships
        I'll try your open stitch. I live in Miami and need to find stitches
        with alot of breathing room. We really wear sweaters here only two
        weeks (if we are lucky) out of the year. I really appreciate
        everyone's help, advice and suggestions. I wish I would have found
        you guys alot sooner.

        THANK YOU!!!
        Bety