Re: New Here

  • Susannah Kelsey
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 26, 2013
      Hi Kelli.  Welcome to the group.  Nice to meet you.  I knit about 40 to 50 hats and scarves a year for donation to homeless folks living on the streets.  I live in the Los Angeles area, where our winters can get pretty cold and my knits are most appreciated.  I use Red Heart Light and Lofty or Paton's Melody and the purple round and rectangular looms.

      I've had bad experiences with my donated items being taken by well-off folks who run shelters instead of my intended recipients, so I don't go through any charitable  organizations anymore.  Instead I hand out my hats and scarves directly to the homeless, both men and women.

      My husband and I load up a plastic bag, drive a short distance to where homeless folks congregate, and simply walk down the street wearing hats and matching scarves.  When we encounter a street person, we say something like, "You look cold.  Would you like a hat?"  One or the other of us pulls off our hat and scarf and hand them over.  The gifts are always very much appreciated, which is very satisfying.

      Then we resume walking, reach in the bag and put on another hat and scarf set, and find our next recipient.  Handing out what we're wearing instead of pulling things out of the bag works better because the bag sometimes invites a crowd, which can be a little overwhelming.  This way we donate to individuals.

      Susannah in SoCal

      Sent from my Windows Phone
    • Kelli Campbell
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 27, 2013
        WOW that is awesome.  It is really nice that your husband helps you.  I have some women's hats.  If I can help you out any just let me know.

        Hugs Kelli
        Salem, OR

        To: ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 28, 2013
          Thanks for the offer, Kelli.  You can probably find folks in your areas who could use some warm gear for winter wear.  Maybe contact a shelter at a National Guard armory.

          Susannah in SoCal

          Sent from my Windows Phone
        • Angela Prescott
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 28, 2013
            I know right!!!!!!!!

            Angie in GA

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 29, 2013
              Tammy why join the group just do a search for patterns or use youtube.

              Angie in GA�

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 29, 2013
                I am afraid I am the cause of all this discord.  I just wanted to introduce myself and try to help a fellow crafter.  If I have offended anyone I am sorry.  (I am not the one that wrote the comment about the patterns)

                Hugs Kelli
                Salem, OR

                To look more beautiful, just smile

                To: ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com
                CC: wildangelus@...
                From: etm1935@...
                Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 10:10:14 -0400

                I suggest you leave the list. This list is not
                limited to patterns.

                Elaine

                *Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
                Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad*.

                Hello tammy

                On Sunday, April 28, 2013, you wrote

                > please stop sending me these junk
                > emails....patterns are accepted but not your
                > conversations. thank you

              • ~Cathy Turner

                  From: etm1935@...
                  Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 10:10:14 -0400

                  I suggest you leave the list. This list is not
                  limited to patterns.

                  Elaine

                  *Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
                  Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad*.

                  Hello tammy

                  On Sunday, April 28, 2013, you wrote

                  > please stop sending me these junk
                  > emails....patterns are accepted but not your
                  > conversations. thank you

                • ~Cathy Turner
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 29, 2013
                    Do you think those are the same people as the ones who turn left in front of me and then glare at me when I honk my horn and slam on my brakes?  :-)

                    ~Cathy

                    --- On Mon, 4/29/13, Ann Garner <agarner@...> wrote:
                    >HA HA HA!!!   "patterns are accepted"?  That's kind of funny, almost
                    >like you own the list instead of being a new member.

                    Cathy, unfortunately some people think they do  control any list they join.
                    Ann in Arkansas

                  • Kelli Campbell
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 29, 2013
                      I just love those people.  Sometimes you get lucky and they know sign language.  They don't understand that life is short and doesn't have a restart button.

                      To: ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com
                      From: turner.cathy@...
                      Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 11:54:13 -0700

                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 29, 2013
                        Ah ha ha, sign language!  I love it!

                        --- On Mon, 4/29/13, Kelli Campbell <knitter1968@...> wrote:

                        I just love those people.  Sometimes you get lucky and they know sign language.  They don't understand that life is short and doesn't have a restart button.

                        Hugs Kelli
                        Salem, OR

                        To look more beautiful, just smile

                        Do you think those are the same people as the ones who turn left in front of me and then glare at me when I honk my horn and slam on my brakes?  :-)

                        ~Cathy

                        --- On Mon, 4/29/13, Ann Garner <agarner@...> wrote:
                        >HA HA HA!!!   "patterns are accepted"?  That's kind of funny, almost
                        >like you own the list instead of being a new member.

                        Cathy, unfortunately some people think they do  control any list they join.
                        Ann in Arkansas

                      • Brenda Jackson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 30, 2013

                          do all posts or replys to them on here get sent out to all members ?

                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 30, 2013

                              Yeah. They do. If you want to reply to an individual you change the "to" from roundlooms@yahoogroups.com to the individual's email address.

                              do all posts or replys to them on here get sent out to all members ?

                              HA HA HA!!!   "patterns are accepted"?  That's kind of funny, almost like you own the list instead of being a new member.

                              --- On Sun, 4/28/13, tammy primeau <wildangelus@...> wrote:

                              please stop sending me these junk emails....patterns are accepted but not your conversations.  thank you

                            • John OLeary
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 3, 2013
                                Yes, there surely must be a list coordinator who can pull the plug on people who can't seem to listen to common sense.  I'm sure we've all subscribed to discussion groups that we thought would be good, and then discovered that the group didn't conform to our expectations.  That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the group, rather that the expectations were misguided.  What we do is unsubscribe.  After all, there are hundreds of other groups we can join, and there are many other ways we can use the internet to get the information we want.  What we DON'T do is rudely demand that a list change to suit our misconceptions.  That's ridiculous.

                                John
                              • suedarn
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 3, 2013
                                  John. She's gone.
                                  Ban her frm all your groups of course.
                                  She is banned here.
                                  I think it's mostly over.
                                  We are removing her posts.
                                  -Mod...

                                  --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, John OLeary <johnno_49@...> wrote:

                                  > Yes, there surely must be a list coordinator who can pull the plug on people who can't seem to listen to common sense.  I'm sure we've all subscribed to discussion groups that we thought would be good, and then discovered that the group didn't conform to our expectations.  That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the group, rather that the expectations were misguided.  What we do is unsubscribe.  After all, there are hundreds of other groups we can join, and there are many other ways we can use the internet to get the information we want.  What we DON'T do is rudely demand that a list change to suit our misconceptions.  That's ridiculous.
                                  >
                                  > John

                                • Kelli Campbell
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 3, 2013
                                    I am a group or two that chat all day long.  I love those groups.  That way you get to know people and make friends.  Oh well, you know what they say about Karma.  I have never been called rude or a bully.

                                    To: ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: johnno_49@...
                                    Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 14:07:42 -0700

                                    Yes, there surely must be a list coordinator who can pull the plug on people who can't seem to listen to common sense.  I'm sure we've all subscribed to discussion groups that we thought would be good, and then discovered that the group didn't conform to our expectations.  That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the group, rather that the expectations were misguided.  What we do is unsubscribe.  After all, there are hundreds of other groups we can join, and there are many other ways we can use the internet to get the information we want.  What we DON'T do is rudely demand that a list change to suit our misconceptions.  That's ridiculous.

                                    John

                                  • nancy

                                      From: johnno_49@...
                                      Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 14:07:42 -0700