Re: [LoomersBreakRoom] Sunflowers - Kristen

  • Brenda Myers GA
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2013
      Thank you, Kristen!

      I looked at your Picot Petals and while the sunflower petals are not picots they are created using a similar technique of casting on/binding off. My sunflower petals are actually based on needle knitted pattern from "100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet" by Leslie Stanfield <http://www.amazon.com/100-Flowers-Knit-Crochet-Embellishing/dp/0312538340> There is a picture on Ravelry of the needle knitted sunflower from the book that inspired mine here: <http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sunflower-knitted>

      Since I'm not a needle knitter or don't know anyone nearby who is, I racked my brain before I was able to simulate their petal technique to the looms. Then I worked on shaping the petal tip, which is not a part of Stanfield's needle pattern. Also, the center of my sunflower is made totally different from the one in the book. They used a seed stitch for the center which was worked as a flat panel and picked up stitches along the perimeter of the flat panel piece for the petals. My sunflower centers are worked in the round starting with 12 stitches, increasing from 12 to 24 using alternating knit/purl stitches and then garter stitches as it radiates toward the petals. This gives an appearance very similar to an actual sunflower <http://www.utexas.edu/law/sao/img/sunflower_large.png> It's always been my belief that you can't go wrong emulating mother nature.

      Brenda GA

      On 4/24/2013 7:27 PM, Kristen Mangus wrote:
      It's very cute Brenda! Love sunflowers!

      It reminds me a little of the flower that I made. Ours would probably marry up really well for a great layered effect! :)

      Here is a link to the video. I did a smaller one too. The bind off matches needle ones and I've worked closely with Charity Windham as we've mastered the picot cast on and bind off to match now, yay! :) I'll have to try yours soon. It looks neat!

      Loom Knitting: Picot Petals - 12 point flower.. http://youtu.be/JhmDNssauW8

      Blessings,
      Kristen