Re: Wooden Knitting Looms Huizinga?

  • syrijs
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2013
      Thanks,
      That looks like one of mine and I can see that it is not solid wood, either. It does not mention what diameter or when it might have been made.
      I am going to take the smallest loom to my old-time neighborhood hardware store and see if they can recommend something to restore the wood.
      Meanwhile, while browsing Etsy, I bought a Knitting Spool, the Darice Mini Knitter and Pom-Pom maker from a very nice seller: )

      I think I need an intervention LOL,syri

      --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, Keetara Coleman <Keetara@...> wrote:

      > I did a quick search and found this link: http://www.etsy.com/listing/110969521/vintage-round-wooden-knitting-loom
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      > Kee
      >

      > On Mar 3, 2013, at 11:17 PM, syrijs <syrijs@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I found a set of 4 looms on the Goodwill auction site, and thought they were hard-wood. When I got them, they appear to be some type of pressed wood, like particle-board, with wooden pegs.
      > >
      > > It appears they probably had some time of wood finish but were stored somewhere damp and have mildew spots and some rough spots.
      > >
      > > That being said, they appear quite usable, and the largest is 15 inches,the smallest 3 inches which should be good for making bags and handles.
      > >
      > > I am wondering if anyone else has looms made by Huizinga Fine Wood Products of Grand Rapids, Michigan?
      > > I would like to see pictures of the looms in their original condition to get an idea how best to clean and preserve them. Also to get an idea of when they were made, since the company seems no longer in business
      > >
      > > I was going to re-sell them, but am thinking they are a good size for making shopping bags from PLARN
      > > syri

    • Heather Parker
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2013
        They are addicting.  By collecting pretty much all of the Knifty Knifters, I definitely have my favorites now that I have had an opportunity to play with them all. (I hate the long looms except for the purple scarf.)

        I bought a little spool knitting kit for making butterflies, but ended up making Barbie hats and scarfs instead for the nieces.  You'll need a selection of looms for different projects, but if the looms have no place to be stored and are spilling out of the craft room into the hallway, you probably should seek professional help! ;)

        Heather

        Sent from my iPad

        --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, Keetara Coleman wrote:

        > I did a quick search and found this link: http://www.etsy.com/listing/110969521/vintage-round-wooden-knitting-loom
        >
        > Hope this helps,
        > Kee
        >

        > On Mar 3, 2013, at 11:17 PM, syrijs wrote:
        >
        > > I found a set of 4 looms on the Goodwill auction site, and thought they were hard-wood. When I got them, they appear to be some type of pressed wood, like particle-board, with wooden pegs.
        > >
        > > It appears they probably had some time of wood finish but were stored somewhere damp and have mildew spots and some rough spots.
        > >
        > > That being said, they appear quite usable, and the largest is 15 inches,the smallest 3 inches which should be good for making bags and handles.
        > >
        > > I am wondering if anyone else has looms made by Huizinga Fine Wood Products of Grand Rapids, Michigan?
        > > I would like to see pictures of the looms in their original condition to get an idea how best to clean and preserve them. Also to get an idea of when they were made, since the company seems no longer in business
        > >
        > > I was going to re-sell them, but am thinking they are a good size for making shopping bags from PLARN
        > > syri

      • syrijs
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2013
          Spilling out of the craft room is BAD???
          LOL, syri

          --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, Heather Parker <parker_prince@...> wrote:

          > They are addicting. By collecting pretty much all of the Knifty Knifters, I definitely have my favorites now that I have had an opportunity to play with them all. (I hate the long looms except for the purple scarf.)
          >
          > I bought a little spool knitting kit for making butterflies, but ended up making Barbie hats and scarfs instead for the nieces. You'll need a selection of looms for different projects, but if the looms have no place to be stored and are spilling out of the craft room into the hallway, you probably should seek professional help! ;)
          >
          > Heather

        • syrijs
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 6, 2013
            So I went to my favorite hard-ware store and they recommended using very low heat to kill the mold, then a coat of polyurethane stain to seal the wood compound. This is going to be a week-end project, since I need ventilation and drying time. I am hoping the sealer will address the flaking I noticed. Am getting nice colors of plastic bags together for PLARN to loom on the big 15" loom with handles done on the 3 inch.
            Meanwhile, cranking out yards of 6 strand tubes on my new Darice Mini-Knitter. It is not as fast as my Embellish Knit, but will take a much heavier yarn, perfect for straps or handles for bags knit on the Loom or Toy Knitter
            syri