Review: Universal S-Loom

  • lkendallgma
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2013
      Review:

      I hope it is okay to review products.

      If you are interested in this info - CinDWoodCrafts.com has a 60" Universal S-Loom. This is a knitting frame, a knitting rake, and a knitting wheel all in one. It has an infinity, an "S", or a Figure "8" design, and measures 23". x 12 1/2". This can fit in my lap. Cindy is very gracious and goes out of her way to satisfy her clients.

      The loom has a total of 246 mold cast pegs spaced 1/2" apart, a total of about 120" of length if knitting a flat piece (not double-knit). I measured it myself, and it is hard to believe when you see how compact it is. The product includes a movable peg wedge so you can knit in the round from 6 pegs to 246 pegs, about any size round loom. On each side there are 123 pegs, but to double-knit you can only use 107 pegs per side. The pegs to skip are blue (32 blue pegs), the pegs to knit are white and are about 1 3/8" inches apart (across the frame from each other).

      Cindy makes the pegs herself from a mold, to keep costs down. She does not have a mold for finer gauge pegs (the molds are very expensive). Maybe in the future, if she sells a lot of looms, finer gauge looms can be offered.

      There are no real draw-backs that I can see to knitting flat panels or in the round. The only tight spots are at the ends of the "S" which are very close to the middle of the "S". I was able to knit through this area with tools and had no problems. Double-knitting is a little bit of a challenge untill you get accustomed to skipping the blue pegs. After that it is very easy. I suspect the blue pegs would make double-knitting a compex stitch pattern more challenging. That is a trade off.

      I am double-knitting my first afghan now using a simple figure "8" wrap. It is very comfortable to use. After knitting-off one side, I can knit-off the other side with just my fingers, except in the tight spots. This is faster than using a tool.

      Either a straight frame or an oval loom that offered 5 - 10 feet of knitting pegs would be a little hard to hold in your lap, or take with you on the go. The "S" shape makes this very portable. All in all, I find it a bargain (compared to what broken DA looms end up costing on EBay), and I am enjoying it.

      LMK
    • lkendallgma
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2013
        Folks:

        I just received my new CinDWoodCrafts.com 72" Afghan S-Loom. I measured the pegs myself. Each side of the board is 72 1/2 inches long. The pegs on the outside of the scrolls are farther away from each other than the pegs on the inside of the scrolls. This is to allow the pegs to be consistently spaced across the board. The gauge of a knitting frame is determined by how far the pegs are apart across the board. The size of the peg, and how far they are from the pegs beside them on the same side of the board influence the gauge much, much less.

        I count 129 pegs on each side of the board, and the pegs are about 1 5/16 inches apart across the board. The knitted panel can be up to about 90", depending on the exact stitch pattern. This is a large gauge loom so chunky yarn or several strands of worsted weight yarn will be needed.

        Because if its size, materials, and design, it must be handled with care. You cannot wind the yarn too tight on the pegs or it wii distort the loom and the gauge. I am not huge, but I am not a small man either, so this is still lap size for me, but it might be too big for some people's laps.

        Because these looms take extra care and caution when knitting, and because Cindy wants her customers to be happy, this loom is a special order item. If some one is interested in these looms contact Cindy at her website to inquire. I will try to post a picture for those who are interested.

        lmk