can this be done?

  • Iva
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2013
      Hi, as a newbie even to this craft, I am sure I have lots to learn. My question today is: Can I use a round loom to flat weave an item?

      I want to make a gag gift for one of my favorite people, who is my long distance pastor. He lives in Australia, and is a dj on my favorite radio station on the web. I will give the contact info privately if requested.

      His favorite saying is "When I get around to it." So, I am wondering if I can use a round loom to flat knit or weave a round, and then topstitch in the word ROUND TO IT. I would love to be able to do this for him. He is 80+ years old.

      Thanks in advance!

      Hugs, Iva
    • salla
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 11, 2013
        Flat circles can be knit on the round looms. This one is really small, but will give you a general idea of how it is done:

        http://gettinitpegged.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/scrubby-os.pdf

        salla
        http://bysalla.etsy.com
        http://8bitrings.etsy.com
        http://bysalla.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 11, 2013
          Thank you! This will truly help.

          Iva

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 11, 2013
            Sure, just dont knit in the round. When you get to the next to the last peg go back around the other way. You might want to do the border stitches differently so the piece wont curl. Thats if you want a flat rectangular piece.

            If you want a circular piece its a different method. There are videos on that, too.

            > --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, "Iva" wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, as a newbie even to this craft, I am sure I have lots to learn. My question today is: Can I use a round loom to flat weave an item?

          • eve schuld
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 13, 2013
              http://beesybeefiber.wordpress.com/2009/08/11/circular-weaving/  here you go, this site looks really good for a how to do it.  Just use the loom instead.

              Eve in Mn.

              Blog http://www.evethefiberfanatic.blogspot.com

              Flickr account http://www.flickr.com/photos/evesch/
            • Iva Wedding
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 13, 2013
                Eve, ThankYou for this. This was exactly what I was envisioning, but did not know exactly how to do it. Now, I can do this little surprise for my favorite pastor/radio presenter.

                Hugs, Iva