how many stitches to make 25 inches

  • tobyshaggy2
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2012
      Hi

      I am making a prayer shawl with my New cindiwood s-loom and would like to know how many pegs to cast on to get me somewhere near 25 inches. I know when I take it off the loom it will shrink up a little so not sure of how much to allow extra.
      I want to figure 8wrap it with 2 strands of worsted weight yarn.
      Has anyone made one before and know a ball park figure of how many I should start with.
      Thanks
      Susan
    • Keetara Coleman
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2012
        If you are actually doing the shawl as a double knit (going back and forth across the board) there won't be much shrinkage at all, and you might actually end up with some expansion in the width. Therefore, it would be best to do a swatch. Yes, we all hate doing those, but it's going to be the best way to figure out the dimensions based on how tight or loose ~you~ knit.

        Kee

        On Sep 10, 2012, at 8:30 PM, tobyshaggy2 wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I am making a prayer shawl with my New cindiwood s-loom and would like to know how many pegs to cast on to get me somewhere near 25 inches. I know when I take it off the loom it will shrink up a little so not sure of how much to allow extra.
        > I want to figure 8wrap it with 2 strands of worsted weight yarn.
        > Has anyone made one before and know a ball park figure of how many I should start with.
        > Thanks
        > Susan
      • Susan Alcover
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 11, 2012
          Thanks for the info   You are right though I really should do a swatch and
          just see.  I do plan on going back and forth with the figure 8 wrap.
          Susan