Yarn needs for charity hats ?

  • Barb Quilts
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2012
      OK anyone done a neat different than "we need funds" for yarn for a non profit group to raise funds for 500 hats ?

      We're looking to make the hats /caps for our homeless and in need students in rural Nevada. We have a lot of volunteers yet so many just so so limited on personal funds I'm looking to do something to help out with bulk yarn purchases.

      I am open to your ideas etc, we are a very very poor area in rural Nevada
    • Judy Ferguson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2012
        See if anyone is a member of Freecycle or even Cheapcycle.  You can get free yarn from Freecycle but you never know when.  I have given so much yarn away and wish I had kept some of it for the charity that I am trying to start.  I have seen some really good yarn sometimes on Cheapcycle.  Some knitters have just too much or are stuck with some that they don't personally like and pass it on this way and the prices, most of the time, are reasonable.
        Just a thought,
        Judy

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 21, 2012
          Thanks I'm trying to come up with something even for non knitters, crafters "the public" to donate for bulk purchases. . . .I know funds are tight yet often people will donate a $ 5.00 and lots of $5's turn into big purchases Just need something "different"

        • ndhurd@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 21, 2012
            go to your local senior center and ask any of them to donate yarn. Many of them are ready to give up knitting or know of someone who is willing to give up yarn

            Thanks I'm trying to come up with something even for non knitters, crafters "the public" to donate for bulk purchases. . . .I know funds are tight yet often people will donate a $ 5.00 and lots of $5's turn into big purchases Just need something "different"

            --- In ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com, Judy Ferguson <mercysmum@...> wrote:

            > See if anyone is a member of Freecycle or even Cheapcycle.  You can get free yarn from Freecycle but you never know when.  I have given so much yarn away and wish I had kept some of it for the charity that I am trying to start.  I have seen some really good yarn sometimes on Cheapcycle.  Some knitters have just too much or are stuck with some that they don't personally like and pass it on this way and the prices, most of the time, are reasonable.
            > Just a thought,
            > Judy

          • Patti
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 21, 2012
              I caint find the cheapcycle. Could u please send me a link.
              Thanks
              Patti

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 21, 2012
                This link will get you to different Cheapcycle groups.  You will have to find the closest town or area to where you live or put the name in the search for Cheapcycle.  You can also Google Cheapcycle and add your location to the front or the end of Cheapcycle.  Join the same as you did for this group.
                Hope this helps,
                Judy

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 22, 2012
                  Thanks Judy