      To: ROUNDLOOMS@yahoogroups.com
      From: susannahkelsey@...
      Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 12:20:14 -0700
      Subject: [ROUNDLOOMS] Re: New Here

      Hi Kelli.  Welcome to the group.  Nice to meet you.  I knit about 40 to 50 hats and scarves a year for donation to homeless folks living on the streets.  I live in the Los Angeles area, where our winters can get pretty cold and my knits are most appreciated.  I use Red Heart Light and Lofty or Paton's Melody and the purple round and rectangular looms.

      I've had bad experiences with my donated items being taken by well-off folks who run shelters instead of my intended recipients, so I don't go through any charitable  organizations anymore.  Instead I hand out my hats and scarves directly to the homeless, both men and women.

      My husband and I load up a plastic bag, drive a short distance to where homeless folks congregate, and simply walk down the street wearing hats and matching scarves.  When we encounter a street person, we say something like, "You look cold.  Would you like a hat?"  One or the other of us pulls off our hat and scarf and hand them over.  The gifts are always very much appreciated, which is very satisfying.

      Then we resume walking, reach in the bag and put on another hat and scarf set, and find our next recipient.  Handing out what we're wearing instead of pulling things out of the bag works better because the bag sometimes invites a crowd, which can be a little overwhelming.  This way we donate to individuals.

      Susannah in SoCal

      Sent from my Windows Phone

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic