Back to technloogy

  • J. Moen
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2010

      Trying to get some perspective about what's happened with this new mode the last two weeks.  I conclude that all these intense emotions actually indicate many Hams want something new, and for certain things, ROS has lots of promise.

      I think I can see how it might have felt to be Jose.  He has obviously spent a LOT of time designing, creating, and testing this new mode.  After all the hard work, he releases it, and almost before a day goes by, he is hit by the negative reaction by US hams to the initial website introduction to the mode.  A summary of this US reaction is that Jose's words doomed usage in the US.  In other words, he was being criticized -- this, after all the hard work.

      The other ham seemed very interested in ROS, but got tired of endless arguments why it was or was not legal in the US.  He took action in the only way he knew how.  I think his purposes were well meaning, but premature.  It reminds me of a controversy about FDMDV a few years ago.  That HF digital mode used a proprietary codec, and it was likely the owner was ok with Hams using it non-commercially.  But after some similar email discussions about its legality, a Ham wrote an official inquiry to the codec's owner, asking if it was legal for hams to use it.  Now, had the ham known about US law, he'd have known that the owner was forced to say no, otherwise they would not have been taking reasonable steps to protect it.  So because of that do-gooder, FDMDV died.

      The good news is that with ROS, the outcome is much more positive.  I applaud Jose for his direct communication to the US FCC, and congratuate him for getting a good outcome.

      I hope the emotions can recede a little.  I'm not sure how things work in Jose's culture.  In the US, the threat of legal action against the ham who contacted FCC seemed wrong.  The Ham did not claim he was speaking for the author of ROS, and he passed a public document to the FCC.  No way did he do anything illegal, and in Ham Radio, it does not seem ham-like to threaten legal action.  The same goes for threats to someone who keeps a blog.  Now, Jose immediately apologized when he realized the blog was updated with the FCC approval news.  But the threat had been made.

      I can only assume Jose has been working long, long hours, has been under a lot of pressure, and this talk about legal action was an outgrown of the difficult last two weeks.  I understand that, but I hope everyone can move away from threats and focus on the technology, doing something good, and helping each other.

      And the good news is -- there is a lot of interest in this new mode.  I hope we can look at the creative, hard work Jose has done for us, work with him to improve it, and celebrate this new mode.

        Jim - K6JM

    • Dave Ackrill
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2010
        I'm sorry to say that sound card selection isn't working for me under
        2.2.2 beta either. I am using Windows XP pro SP3.

        This is a long explanation, to show what I have done so far and explain
        exactly what I have done when installing ROS version 2.2.2 and what
        happens on my system. It's not meant as criticism, just an explanation
        in case other people get the same problem and so that Jose may be able
        to find out what is going wrong on my set up.

        With this release I deleted the folder that had the version 2.2.1 beta
        program .exe file and the two other folders, I downloaded the new
        version and extracted it to a new folder.

        I then switched off the computer and rebooted from cold and ran the new
        version.

        When I run the program and select 'SoundCard' I see the three options of
        'Realtek HD Audio Input' (the soundcard on the motherboard), 'Virtual
        Cable 1' and 'USB Audio CODEC' in the two drop down menus for Device
        Input and Device Output.

        If I select 'Virtual Cable 1' and 'Save' then this setting will stay
        selected.

        If I select 'USB Audio CODEC' the receive works and audio from the radio
        is being shown in the waterfall and I am decoding other ROS signals.
        When I look at the 'SoundCard' settings again both 'Device Input' and
        'Device Output' show "Realtek HD Audio Input" and, if I try to transmit,
        the tones are being sent out from the motherboard soundcard, which is
        set as the default soundcard under Windows XP pro.

        This is what was happening on my set up with version 2.2.1. Version
        2.2.0 did work OK, but after I tried to delete 2.2.1 and use 2.2.0, even
        after rebooting the PC after deleting 2.2.1 and reinstalling 2.2.0 from
        the ZIP file and rebooting again.

        Dave (G0DJA)
      • Dave Ackrill
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2010
          Dave Ackrill wrote:
          > I'm sorry to say that sound card selection isn't working for me under
          > 2.2.2 beta either. I am using Windows XP pro SP3.

          One other thing I meant to mention. If I select 'USB Audio CODEC' as
          the default soundcard under Windows, ROS v2.2.2 beta will use that for
          transmit and receive. If I then go to the 'SoundCard' menu and select
          'Realtek HD Audio Input', ROS 2.2.2 beta will swap over to using that card.

          So, the problem seems to be happening when the USB soundcard is not the
          Windows default.

          Dave (G0DJA)
        • dl6xaz
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2010
            Hi Dave,
            yes, that is my impression, too. Funny is that with 2.2.2 I select USBCODEC for tx and rx, but the program saves it for tx only, whereas it jumps back to the standard s/c as soon as I stop transmission, having to select rx s/c again. It does not save the setting. I am using XP. I do not want to change the standard s/c setting for various reasons not related to radio.
            73 Fred DL6XAZ

          • dalite01@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2010
              Dave,

              I had to disable my onboard sound card to get the external (Signal Link USB ) to be saved. After that it worked fine.

              David
              KD4NUE