ROS Frequency on 12m

  • peter
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2012
      Can the authors of ROS please note that operation on 12m on 24.916 MHz is not in line with IARU bandplans. That part of the band is for narrow band modes only (up to 500Hz bandwidth).

      ROS8/2000 operating on 24.916 is not in accordance with the band plan and obliterates JT65 signals trying yo operate on 24.917. Could you please amend the program to remove the 24.916 frequency on 12m?

      Thanks,

      Peter
      G4DJB
    • siegfried jackstien
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 4, 2012
        Hello peter
        I just wrote a mail to jose
        Prepare for a new version :-)
        The same is on 10m qrg ... so we should change them

        I searched for frequency were also unattended stations are allowed (cause
        you can switch ros to beacon mode)

        What do you thing about that

        24927 500hz
        24937 2000hz

        28130 500hz
        28310 2000hz

        All 4 frequencies are also allowed to be used for unattended stations AND SO
        YOU CAN USE THE BEACON FUNCTION!!!

        Unattended is not allowed without permission so you have to be close to the
        rig .... (but nobody said you can not go to bed hi hi)

        What do others think about that qrg above???

        Dg9bfc
        Sigi

        Ps if you prefer to use wider mode only then we should use them in the area
        were it is allowed ...

      • peter
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2012
          Hello Sigi,

          I like the sound of the suggested changes. However, I'm probably not the best person to ask as I do not have too much experience with the current various digital modes. I have only just returned to using digital modes after many years. When I was previously active "digital modes" usually meant CW or RTTY! There are quite a few different ones about now and they seem to be increasing in number each month.

          Having said that, I believe that the frequencies suggested are sensible according to the bandplans, and so any other comments would be welcome from those who use other digital modes that might be impacted.

          As an additional question, I currently have ROS v6.8.4. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use this version for the ROS 500Hz modes, or is this one just for the 2000 Hz modes? I can't see how to configure it for 500Hz, so am I missing something or does it not support the narrow ROS mode?

          Thanks,

          Peter

          --- In ROSDIGITALMODEMGROUP@yahoogroups.com, "siegfried jackstien" <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

          > Hello peter
          > I just wrote a mail to jose
          > Prepare for a new version :-)
          > The same is on 10m qrg ... so we should change them
          >
          > I searched for frequency were also unattended stations are allowed (cause
          > you can switch ros to beacon mode)
          >
          > What do you thing about that
          >
          > 24927 500hz
          > 24937 2000hz
          >
          > 28130 500hz
          > 28310 2000hz
          >
          > All 4 frequencies are also allowed to be used for unattended stations AND SO
          > YOU CAN USE THE BEACON FUNCTION!!!
          >
          > Unattended is not allowed without permission so you have to be close to the
          > rig .... (but nobody said you can not go to bed hi hi)
          >
          > What do others think about that qrg above???
          >
          > Dg9bfc
          > Sigi
          >
          > Ps if you prefer to use wider mode only then we should use them in the area
          > were it is allowed ...

        • frankk2ncc
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2012
            ... and I'll refrain from using ROS on 12M during my temporary authorization until we can figure a proper sandbox to play in.

            frank, k2ncc
            ROS USA x-station WF9XJM
          • Phil
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 5, 2012
              We need a third choice on the HF bands when 500Hz is not in line with good amateur practices. Every HF band that is preset in to the ROS applications should have at a minimum:

              ROS 7/100

              --- In ROSDIGITALMODEMGROUP@yahoogroups.com, "siegfried jackstien" <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

              > Hello peter
              > I just wrote a mail to jose
              > Prepare for a new version :-)
              > The same is on 10m qrg ... so we should change them
              >
              > I searched for frequency were also unattended stations are allowed (cause
              > you can switch ros to beacon mode)
              >
              > What do you thing about that
              >
              > 24927 500hz
              > 24937 2000hz
              >
              > 28130 500hz
              > 28310 2000hz
              >
              > All 4 frequencies are also allowed to be used for unattended stations AND SO
              > YOU CAN USE THE BEACON FUNCTION!!!
              >
              > Unattended is not allowed without permission so you have to be close to the
              > rig .... (but nobody said you can not go to bed hi hi)
              >
              > What do others think about that qrg above???
              >
              > Dg9bfc
              > Sigi
              >
              > Ps if you prefer to use wider mode only then we should use them in the area
              > were it is allowed ...

            • Phil
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 5, 2012
                24927 100hz
                24937 500hz

                28130 100hz
                28310 500hz

                ROS 16/2000, 8/2000, and 4/2000 should be the exception - not the norm. 2000Hz does not scale well as usage increases on the HF bands.

                --- In ROSDIGITALMODEMGROUP@yahoogroups.com, "siegfried jackstien" <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

                > Hello peter
                > I just wrote a mail to jose
                > Prepare for a new version :-)
                > The same is on 10m qrg ... so we should change them
                >
                > I searched for frequency were also unattended stations are allowed (cause
                > you can switch ros to beacon mode)
                >
                > What do you thing about that
                >
                > 24927 500hz
                > 24937 2000hz
                >
                > 28130 500hz
                > 28310 2000hz
                >
                > All 4 frequencies are also allowed to be used for unattended stations AND SO
                > YOU CAN USE THE BEACON FUNCTION!!!
                >
                > Unattended is not allowed without permission so you have to be close to the
                > rig .... (but nobody said you can not go to bed hi hi)
                >
                > What do others think about that qrg above???
                >
                > Dg9bfc
                > Sigi
                >
                > Ps if you prefer to use wider mode only then we should use them in the area
                > were it is allowed ...

              • ka1gmn
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 5, 2012
                  I don't think 2000Hz bandwidth scales well and for the HF bands, should be the exception then the norm. Options for 100 and 500Hz bandwidths would be more compatible in the HF bands.

                  My recommendation would be:

                  24927 100hz
                  24937 5000hz

                  28130 100hz
                  28310 5000hz

                  --- In ROSDIGITALMODEMGROUP@yahoogroups.com, "siegfried jackstien" <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

                  > Hello peter
                  > I just wrote a mail to jose
                  > Prepare for a new version :-)
                  > The same is on 10m qrg ... so we should change them
                  >
                  > I searched for frequency were also unattended stations are allowed (cause
                  > you can switch ros to beacon mode)
                  >
                  > What do you thing about that
                  >
                  > 24927 500hz
                  > 24937 2000hz
                  >
                  > 28130 500hz
                  > 28310 2000hz
                  >
                  > All 4 frequencies are also allowed to be used for unattended stations AND SO
                  > YOU CAN USE THE BEACON FUNCTION!!!
                  >
                  > Unattended is not allowed without permission so you have to be close to the
                  > rig .... (but nobody said you can not go to bed hi hi)
                  >
                  > What do others think about that qrg above???
                  >
                  > Dg9bfc
                  > Sigi
                  >
                  > Ps if you prefer to use wider mode only then we should use them in the area
                  > were it is allowed ...

                • Phil Williams
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 5, 2012
                    If you have CAT enabled in the ROS application, you will have to turn it off to allow the selection of the ROS baud/bandwidth settings for 500KHz.  Then you are free to choose any of the baud/bandwidth setting independent of actual operating frequency.

                    --
                    Phil KA1GMN
                    Experimental Station - WF9XJD
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 5, 2012
                      same here

                      --- In ROSDIGITALMODEMGROUP@yahoogroups.com, "frankk2ncc" <frank.k2ncc@...> wrote:

                      > ... and I'll refrain from using ROS on 12M during my temporary authorization until we can figure a proper sandbox to play in.
                      >

                      > frank, k2ncc
                      > ROS USA x-station WF9XJM

                    • siegfried jackstien
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 5, 2012
                        I think the frequencies are clear now

                        And bw of 2000 and 500 is just what is used anywhere else ...

                        As wider the mode as easier it is to copy on long distance (I tried that!)
                        Tested 2000 and 500 on same distance and same power
                        And the gain that you have from the spreading over the 2000 hz is that you
                        can even have a good copy when there is another mode or another transmission
                        in the passband ... when you have a narrow mode that is only 100hz wide ..
                        then I think it would be too easy disturbed by another signal that is right
                        ontop ... but I im not a professional in that ... just a rough guess from me

                        We should just ask jose for the change of qrg and bw for the lower qrg of
                        the 2 in each band and we were done ...
                        I don’t think that making a 100hz narrow ros mode is a wise idea :-)

                        Dg9bfc

                        Sigi

                      • peter
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 6, 2012
                          Hello Paul,

                          I still need more help. I don't have CAT enabled, but I don't see how to adjust the bandwidth setting. Most HF frequencies (except for one frequency on 40m and all 30m frequencies) default to 2000 and I can't see a way of changing it.

                          Thanks,

                          Peter

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 6, 2012
                            Bandwidth is based on the preset frequency.  If you want to run say, ROS 7/100, set the frequency on ROS to 500KHz.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 7, 2012
                              Hello Phil (sorry I put 'Paul' last time!),

                              That seems to make sense, sort of. I can understand now why CAT needs to be disabled!

                              I can see how that will work, bit won't the automatic 'spot reporting' show the incorrect frequencies? Presumably, the logging will be wrong as well. It would appear that the software could benefit from some re-design in the bandwidth setting area.

                              Thanks for the explanation,